996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Dension 500 install

Old 11-21-2010, 07:20 PM
boltnbrew is on a distinguished road
Dension 500 install

I signed up for eric's Dension 500 group buy a few weeks ago. I wanted to relay my experience-

Eric was super easy to deal with and answered a dumb question without a skip. The unit came fairly quickly and all was intact. I let the box sit until this afternoon and had not done any prep other than read what I was told would help.

I started at halftime of the afternoon football games. I was done by the last part of the fourth quarter. I used the extension cable to run the iPhone dock connector through the firewall, inside the console and up into the rear console compartment. I have never played with optical connections before, but all was very straightforward. The only tool you may want is a torx set if you're going to run the cable under the console as I did. It sounds great and there are lots of posts on this subject, but I wanted to just comment on the install:

If you were hesitant about doing this- don't be. It's easy and straightforward. Dig in!

Old 11-21-2010, 07:31 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Good to hear. I bought the iPod and BT combo from the GB as well. I'm hesitant to try the install myself simply because of the splicing and soldering required to hook up the power. Any difficulties with this?

Old 11-21-2010, 07:51 PM
There is no soldering required at all. The optical connectors snap together.

Power was already there in the trunk for the CD changer. Brown is ground. Both of the other two wires are hot. Strip back the cloth tape ( four inches) and use blue speed taps. They take all of ten seconds to use. I use a small pair of pliers to make sure the connection is secure. I then re- wrapped with 3M cloth tape (aka friction tape). I assume most 996s are wired for the changer, even if not so equipped.

Old 11-21-2010, 08:22 PM
joeycannoli is on a distinguished road
Pictures of the setup?

Old 11-21-2010, 08:27 PM
bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !bonehead Is a GOD !
Ah, wire taps. Haven't even opened up the box. Are those included or do I need to make a trip to Radio Shack?
Don't suppose you also installed the Bluetooth as well?

Old 11-21-2010, 09:57 PM
No BT as I did not have the PCM with the telephone mode. Did not take picks. As there are several ou there already. Check these:

Please note the details below and attached for installation and setup.
The Dension unit installation is shown in numerous threads.* These might be helpful:

http://www.planet-9.com/news-items/1...0-install.html

http://macnugget.org/carrera/ipodded
http://987forum.com/forums/printthread.php?t=21056
http://tinyurl.com/yd69mmt
http://www.luxury4play.com/porsche/1...-installs.html
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...ved-today.html

You need to supply your own taps, but that is all. Everything else (and then
some) was supplied - including double sided foam tape.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:19 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
Did this install a couple months ago... very straight forward. I could probably do it in 30min if I had to do it again!

Jason

Old 11-22-2010, 03:37 PM
X98boardwell is on a distinguished road
my issue

I cannot seem to get the text of what the ipod is playing to stay. I can get it to come up but cannot seem to maintain it... just goes away and then uses track 01, 02, etc.

Any thoughts on this? I was able to get to Menu and select option 6 which helps to optimize the unit but cant seem to hold any text.

Otherwise, I love it... just wish i could get this figured out.

Thanks,
Bryan

Old 01-01-2011, 11:38 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by boltnbrew
No BT as I did not have the PCM with the telephone mode. Did not take picks. As there are several ou there already. Check these:

Please note the details below and attached for installation and setup.
The Dension unit installation is shown in numerous threads.* These might be helpful:

http://www.planet-9.com/news-items/1...0-install.html

http://macnugget.org/carrera/ipodded
http://987forum.com/forums/printthread.php?t=21056
http://tinyurl.com/yd69mmt
http://www.luxury4play.com/porsche/1...-installs.html
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...ved-today.html

You need to supply your own taps, but that is all. Everything else (and then
some) was supplied - including double sided foam tape.
I'm finally scewing around with this, and would love to find a 2003+ PCM 996 install.

I've got a CD changer and would rather retain it...BUT do not want to run cables between trunk and cabin. I am guessing that if you retain the CDchanger you must put the dension at the CDC?

How about this: IF I delete the CDC, how do I do it? JUst unplug the dual fiber optic? I am betting that you need to 'loop' the fiber to bypass the CDC.

If I need to install it at the CDC I am surprised Eric didn't mention the need for extension cables.....

Anyway, back at it today between games...

A

Old 01-01-2011, 12:03 PM
Happy New Year-

I don't have the instructions in front of me, but you can retain the CDC. You don't need to fish the Ipod connection to the cabin like I did- you can leave the ipod in the trunk. I don't want to sound condescending, but I think you just need to take a fresh look at the instructions. Shouldn't take more than 20 minutes to complete if you're leaving everything in the trunk.

Old 01-01-2011, 05:51 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by boltnbrew
Happy New Year-

I don't have the instructions in front of me, but you can retain the CDC. You don't need to fish the Ipod connection to the cabin like I did- you can leave the ipod in the trunk. I don't want to sound condescending, but I think you just need to take a fresh look at the instructions. Shouldn't take more than 20 minutes to complete if you're leaving everything in the trunk.
I assume you are not talking to me, since I connected it all up, in the trunk, in 20 minutes. That part is easy.

BUT THAT DOESN'T HELP WHEN YOU NEED THE STUFF IN THE CABIN and don't want to runs wires, cut grommens, fish, extensions from the trunk to the cabin.

The answer, for the record, is this:

You need to CONNECT the dension "in line" with the CDC. (Since the Dension emulates the CDC) Therefore if you want the Dension in the cabin and you have the CDC you have two choices:

1. Abandon CDC, AND BUY THE LITTLE OPTICAL BYPASS LOOP that comes stock on cars without the CDC. Then proceed as if there was no CDC, pop it behind the PCM etc

or

2. Buy fiber optic extensions and extend from the CDC into the cabin - it will sit behind the PCM, emulate the CDC, but actually be 'connected' into the optical loop out in the trunk...(why bother, might was well run the other cables, easier than Fiber)

I'll be using an iPhone, not iPod, so it needs to be in the cabin.

In all the reading of the 43 PAGES over on rennlist, and countless other posts, I don't think I ever heard of the concept of the optical bypass....

A

Old 01-01-2011, 06:12 PM
ChrisGTS is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by X98boardwell
I cannot seem to get the text of what the ipod is playing to stay. I can get it to come up but cannot seem to maintain it... just goes away and then uses track 01, 02, etc.

Any thoughts on this? I was able to get to Menu and select option 6 which helps to optimize the unit but cant seem to hold any text.

Otherwise, I love it... just wish i could get this figured out.

Thanks,
Bryan
Bryan,

I had a similar issue when I installed my GW500. I finally figured out that I was not properly selecting "ipodGW" as the input source. I was scrolling down to it with the selector wheel and then pushing the wheel in to select it, but that doesn't work. Instead you scroll to it and then press and hold the "forward" button (as if you are fast forwarding the song) and that fixed it for me. Then I realized that it said that in the instructions and I just missed it. You use the fast-forward button to select playlists, artists, and everything else, including switching the input source to "ipodGW."

By the way, just to add my two cents to the install experience, mine was incredibly easy. I also used speed taps for the power and ground wires (tapping into the CD changer power wires) and of course the optical connection just plugs right in. I removed my CD changer altogether and just left everything (including the ipod and the USB stick that I use most of the time) in the trunk -- I used a combination of tape and velcro to put everything in place. I had the unit up and running in less than 15 minutes and then securing the wires and everything took longer than plugging the unit in and getting it working.

According to Eric, the GW500 takes the place of the CD changer in the optical loop, but if you choose to retain the CDC, it plugs into the GW500 box as a "branch" off the optical loop. There is a switch on the GW500 that allows you to re-enable the CDC, but I didn't bother with that. Plus, the spot where the CDC sits makes a great place to put the GW500, ipod, etc.

Overall the GW500 works great for me. I use it with a USB stick most of the time, rather than an ipod.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:45 PM
X98boardwell is on a distinguished road
Chris,

Thanks for the help. I just returned from a christmas/new years trip so will uncover the car and have a look tomorrow. I will let you know if that works.

Regards,
Bryan

Old 01-01-2011, 09:53 PM
My apologies A- I was responding to you but appear to have missed the question. In any event, I'm not clear at to your question- do you want the ipod in the cabin or the trunk? If cabin, I don't know how you can go wireless can you? If trunk, you can keep the CDC. Again, Happy New Year!

Old 01-01-2011, 10:44 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
How does this hookup if you don't have the most fiber optic cabling or a cd changer for that matter?

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dension 500 install