996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

oil change question - almost done

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 02:24 PM
smithk3933 has a spectacular aura aboutsmithk3933 has a spectacular aura about
oil change question - almost done

Almost through an oil change and had a question. When changing the filter, the old filter had a single rubber washer in the final groove. the new filter came with a single rubber washer as well.

The Oil Change DIY on Renntech says to replace both rubber oil washers?

I assume a single is all that is needed?

Keith

Old 12-27-2010, 03:32 PM
TurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond repute
The large O ring comes with the filter. I also change the small O ring
999-707-465-40

Old 12-27-2010, 09:35 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
HI,I have been changing my own oil and filter for over 2 yrs now,,,,And I only have had the large O ring for the outside canister,where the top of the threads are, that the filter fits in......So,what other small o ring is there??Unless you are talking about the solid o ring for the drain plug...

Old 12-27-2010, 10:25 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-m97-70-a.html

There should be a gasket for the filter, and small crush rings for the plugs. I'm not sure about the turbochargers, as VTG turbos do not have drain plugs.

Old 12-28-2010, 01:41 AM
TurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond repute
O ring is at the bottom of the plastic filter housing.

Attached Images  
Old 12-28-2010, 02:21 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Wow......Thank You.....I never paid attention or was told about that one. Looks like a reason for another oil change.......lol.......Have a great New Yrs.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:45 AM
smithk3933 has a spectacular aura aboutsmithk3933 has a spectacular aura about
That does clear things up. I guess I'll just wait till the next oil change to replace. They really should make this part of the oil filter kit as I'm sure I'm not the only one who didn't order the right parts.

Keith

Old 12-29-2010, 11:32 AM
Hi Guys,,,,,Just wanted to let you know this......I went to two local Porsche dealers to get that little o-ring.......And Both said they do not stock them and never did......Talked to the Porsche mechanics there.....And they said they never changed those???????

Old 12-29-2010, 12:10 PM
Scottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond repute
I always change them...they come in the "oil change kits" I buy from sunset imports. they are like 40 cents!

Old 12-29-2010, 12:42 PM
ChrisGTS is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by johnspeed
Hi Guys,,,,,Just wanted to let you know this......I went to two local Porsche dealers to get that little o-ring.......And Both said they do not stock them and never did......Talked to the Porsche mechanics there.....And they said they never changed those???????
That is strange that the dealers said they did not have them -- I just got a filter and the crush washers and o-rings from my dealer this morning (Hennessy in Atlanta) and my service advisor specifically pointed out to me the large and small o-rings and told me where both of them go. I seem to recall a similar small o-ring on my E46 M3 as well.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:09 PM
YES,I agree......So,when I change my oil this weekend,Chicago is going to have a heat wave,,50 temps......lol....I am going to take a close look at that small washer for wear,crush thickness .And then find out which deal in the surrounding area has them......But I would bet ,when someone gets it done at those dealers that I went to,they get charged for that o ring in there oil change.........Have a great day

Old 12-29-2010, 04:01 PM
MikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by smithk3933
Almost through an oil change and had a question. When changing the filter, the old filter had a single rubber washer in the final groove. the new filter came with a single rubber washer as well.

The Oil Change DIY on Renntech says to replace both rubber oil washers?

I assume a single is all that is needed?

Keith
I only changed the large ring and just cleaned and reused the small one since it was in perfect shape I didn't want to take a special trip to Porsche for it. So far, it hasn't blown up!

Last edited by MikeR397; 12-29-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:27 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
So do some kits offer both small and larger O-rings while some do not? I know that BMW has a kit for oil changes - it comes with all the O rings, and washer etc...

Does Porsche not have the same for the 996TT? If so is it not standardized to include the same items??

Old 12-29-2010, 07:10 PM
ChrisGTS is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by sunir
So do some kits offer both small and larger O-rings while some do not? I know that BMW has a kit for oil changes - it comes with all the O rings, and washer etc...

Does Porsche not have the same for the 996TT? If so is it not standardized to include the same items??
Based on my invoice, it appears that the filter and large o-ring come together, but then there are separate part numbers for the small o-ring and the 4 crush washers (2 for the turbo drain plugs, one for the crankcase, one for the oil tank). So it doesn't appear that there is an official Porsche "kit." I think Suncoast sells all of them together as a package, except I am not sure if they include the small o-ring or not.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...de=996ttoilfil

Old 12-30-2010, 11:11 AM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ChrisGTS
Based on my invoice, it appears that the filter and large o-ring come together, but then there are separate part numbers for the small o-ring and the 4 crush washers (2 for the turbo drain plugs, one for the crankcase, one for the oil tank). So it doesn't appear that there is an official Porsche "kit." I think Suncoast sells all of them together as a package, except I am not sure if they include the small o-ring or not.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...de=996ttoilfil
I clicked on the link and saw the filter and large O ring and then they had the washers and the drain plug seperately on 'other items' but I didn't see the small O ring anywhere??

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: oil change question - almost done