996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Engine Out...What else should I do while I'm in there.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 03:03 PM
Mike in MD is on a distinguished road
Engine Out...What else should I do while I'm in there.

I know I have seen a similar thread, but using all my powers of thread searching I cannot find it.

Engine and Trans coming out as soon as the clutch finally gives up the ghost (82,000 miles on the original FWIW). It is beginning to feel like the end, but then again I thought that at 70,000.

I know I can do the job without pulling the motor...but where's the fun in that.

DV's and Coolant Expansion tank I know.

What else should I do as PM whilst the thing is apart. Would like to start ordering parts in anticipation. Thanks.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:13 PM
viprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond repute
Let's see. Injectors, DV's, Intake,
Sky's the limit !!!

Old 12-28-2010, 03:19 PM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
Coolant hard pipe (do a search on here). Have the glued in piece replaced and welded.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:37 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Seal Grey Matte
Coolant hard pipe (do a search on here). Have the glued in piece replaced and welded.
Agree with Seal Grey Matte and here's the link https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...top-motor.html

Old 12-28-2010, 04:36 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Seal Grey Matte
plus 1 on that for sure.. You looking to upgrade for power?

Old 12-28-2010, 07:02 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Mike,

The suggestions above are very good. It's also the perfect time to upgrade the intake plenum and install larger piping to the turbos. It's very easily done with the motor out - a lot more work later.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 12-28-2010, 09:03 PM
PAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to all
Originally Posted by jpflip
Agree with Seal Grey Matte and here's the link https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...top-motor.html
^^ This for sure. May as well do the plugs and coilpacks too.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:37 PM
jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !
GT2 Clutch hydro conversion...

Old 12-29-2010, 08:56 AM
Mike in MD is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the feedback....what I see so far

This is my daily driver so looking to do some mild HP increases, suspension upgrades. Maybe an autocross and outside chance of a DE event or two

Maintenance:
  • Cooling hard pipe (Anyone know a shop where I can ship the whole assembly and have it upgraded for a price?)
  • Expansion Tank
  • DVs (likely go the no-maint Bosch route)
  • Plugs and Coils
Motor Mounts? Do I really need to change them? Experiences?
Other gaskets, hoses, seals, oil-lines, connectors, reservoirs?

Engine Upgrades: Get it up to 475 HP, maybe 500 max
  • Stage 2-ish clutch and LWFW
  • GT2 Slave Conversion
  • Silicone Turbo Hoses (Mostly appearance for me)
  • Intake, MAF and Exhaust upgrades (for HP and a better sound)
  • Chip (too many options, likely get in conjunction with exhaust/intake manufacturer)
Other:
  • PSS10's
  • Adjustable links, bars.
Keep 'em coming

Old 12-29-2010, 09:19 AM
PAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to all
One other thing I forgot- I'd change all of the coolant hoses.

There's a thread on rennlist regarding welding the coolant pipes- There's a company in MA iirc that welds the fittings in, and a company in OR that sells fittings...

Check the thread that jpflip posted- I believe the people who make the fittings are mentioned there. If you can't find anything, email Kevin from UMW.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:06 AM
Scottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond reputeScottslaw has a reputation beyond repute
There are some oil lines on top of the engine that have o-rings that can fail with age. Its a very cheap part, but the engine has to come out to replace them. Don't ask me how I know. It was not fun having to pay my tech to drop my engine to get to this leak I had. If I recall correctly, the leak was associated with a oil breather line.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:29 PM
RiA
RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !
Oil sending unit - hard to do when the engine is in place, easy when out. These tend to fail as age sets in...

Old 12-30-2010, 11:30 AM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
If the engine is going to be out and you're going to have a week of car downtime, send the turbos off to Blouch for a 16g upgrade and 1 bar actuators. Best $1200 bucks you'll ever spend (and among the lowest $ per hp you can get).

You'll be well over your 500 hp goal (unless you're talking wheel hp in which case you'll be ri right about there).