996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

100% Methanol on race file

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 04:56 PM
besiktas will become famous soon enoughbesiktas will become famous soon enough
I'm comparing it with VP109 since my race file is tuned for VP109. I do not think it is fair to compare any gas with C16. It's something else. And as I said, until the certain boost levels, yes it does give the same protection. But after somewhere, it's still good, but not as good. I have tried and seen this with my car myself. But it's still the best alternative to the race fuel.

Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Ya, we've gone round and round and round on this topic. Some people say it's not as good as race gas. Some say it is. Point is (as I stated above), it's "pretty much the same".

Also remember that the term "race gas" can mean anything from 98 octane to C16 to Fuel Alcohol, and I have no idea which level of race gas you're comparing it to. If pump/meth provides the same protection as 100 octane (which it certainly does) or even 104, then yes, it would very true that it is "just as good" as race gas.

Me? I'd never use it. I don't trust the systems enough.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:08 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TwnTurboJ
Would you suggest the hsf-3 or 6? Is $1000 for install reasonable?
I would. Very high quality kit and very reliable. I have the older HSF-1 and have had not 1 problem with it. The newer kits cost more, but are more "plug and play". Even though my meth tune isn't really aggressive, I test my safety's once in a while. Just let it run out. If the meth gets too low in the tank, wastegate pressure. If the line breaks, wastegate pressure. As far as install, I did my own install. Took me about 6-7 hours and I had never worked on my Pcar before. I think a reputable shop could do it in 5-6 hours or so, not including tuning. You have to decide where to put the tank and how big a tank to install. The Aquamist kit does NOT come with a tank. Most people run a 1-1/2 gal tank, you can get for like $50.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:39 PM
GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !GTstreet996 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ttboost
I would. Very high quality kit and very reliable. I have the older HSF-1 and have had not 1 problem with it. The newer kits cost more, but are more "plug and play". Even though my meth tune isn't really aggressive, I test my safety's once in a while. Just let it run out. If the meth gets too low in the tank, wastegate pressure. If the line breaks, wastegate pressure. As far as install, I did my own install. Took me about 6-7 hours and I had never worked on my Pcar before. I think a reputable shop could do it in 5-6 hours or so, not including tuning. You have to decide where to put the tank and how big a tank to install. The Aquamist kit does NOT come with a tank. Most people run a 1-1/2 gal tank, you can get for like $50.
Awesome thanks again Mike. Even 6-7 hours sounds better than 10-11
I might need to find another shop in L.A to do it. I really like the failsafes. Back to AZ for a retune as soon as I install it.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:46 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Good luck and keep us posted!!!

Old 01-10-2011, 07:50 PM
Rollracer is on a distinguished road
Correct me if I'm wrong but I've been told if the meth kit fails there are failsafes in place where it would drop boost back down to wastegate setting.
Yes for sure! There are mutiple fail safes u can buy. My tuning program as an extra meth controller seperate unit that aslo changes the tune to conservative timing and afr as well.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:03 AM
jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !jhuang25 Is a GOD !
big J! how are you, haven't seen you around in awhile. dude, call me before you install the meth bro. :P

Old 01-11-2011, 08:43 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but I've been told if the meth kit fails there are failsafes in place where it would drop boost back down to wastegate setting.
Ofcourse fail safes are always a good idea. Like I said before the resaon I prefer some water mixed in is I found I get much lower boost temps and less prone to knock compared to 100%.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:01 AM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cjv

You are correct when you noticed higher timing ability on water than methane injection. The danger with high percentages of methane (tuned for usage above 50% meth) is if the meth goes out the motor goes lean and you will lose your motor. The same thing happens when you mix fuel in your tank. You usually never know what you have.
Does any of this apply if you use an EBC controller, running 50/50 and run dry of meth turn boost controller off help any?

Old 01-11-2011, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by Rollracer
Ofcourse fail safes are always a good idea. Like I said before the resaon I prefer some water mixed in is I found I get much lower boost temps and less prone to knock compared to 100%.
My car made 30 more whp with 100% meth vs 50/50 at the same boost levels.

Originally Posted by 2muchtime
Does any of this apply if you use an EBC controller, running 50/50 and run dry of meth turn boost controller off help any?
The EBC doesn't have any control over the meth system. If your not tuned for Meth, it's hard to say if your wastegate will be too much?

Old 01-11-2011, 12:39 PM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute

The EBC doesn't have any control over the meth system. If your not tuned for Meth, it's hard to say if your wastegate will be too much?
I know the EBC has no control of the meth system, I guess what I was asking was this past weekend with PCA I ran out of mix on the last session, I run the track with the boost controler off, would running the car (that has a program for 50/50 mix) without any mix limiting the boost to 1 bar do any harm? I ran the car easier knowing I was out of mix.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:04 PM
Originally Posted by 2muchtime
I know the EBC has no control of the meth system, I guess what I was asking was this past weekend with PCA I ran out of mix on the last session, I run the track with the boost controler off, would running the car (that has a program for 50/50 mix) without any mix limiting the boost to 1 bar do any harm? I ran the car easier knowing I was out of mix.
Probably not. Obviously you don't care because you did it You probably weren't running the most efficiently, but looks like you're OK at that boost level.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:47 PM
My car made 30 more whp with 100% meth vs 50/50 at the same boost levels.
You may be correct for your car. Did you dyno this? 30 hp sounds like alot just by increasing meth %. Where all the mods the same with similar temps outside? On my car with 100% meth I saw knock come earlier with much higher boost temps and can't advance as much timing or run as high boost as with a water mix.

Last edited by Rollracer; 01-11-2011 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by Rollracer
You may be correct for your car. Did you dyno this? 30 hp sounds like alot just by increasing meth %. Where all the mods the same with similar temps outside? On my car with 100% meth I saw knock come earlier with much higher boost temps and can't advance as much timing or run as high boost as with a water mix.
This was all done on the same Mustang dyno on the same day. We started with 50/50 and got to the max boost and timing it would take. We then converted to 100% and kept going. I picked up 40whp with 50/50 and about 70whp with 100% meth from my baseline, with all of the same mods, which is 18g's, 58lb injectors, 5bar, FVD exhaust and an Aquamist kit. Stock airbox, stock piping and stock IC's. It's all in the tuning. Apparently, my car runs very well for the mods it has. Doing piping and IC's now. Will likely post a separate thread with results whenever it happens. It will be a while.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:12 PM
This was all done on the same Mustang dyno on the same day. We started with 50/50 and got to the max boost and timing it would take. We then converted to 100% and kept going. I picked up 40whp with 50/50 and about 70whp with 100% meth from my baseline, with all of the same mods, which is 18g's, 58lb injectors, 5bar, FVD exhaust and an Aquamist kit. Stock airbox, stock piping and stock IC's. It's all in the tuning. Apparently, my car runs very well for the mods it has. Doing piping and IC's now. Will likely post a separate thread with results whenever it happens. It will be a while.
Cool I may try a higher % tune again and see what happens. I just remember getting knock and higher boost temps in my logs. This weekend I may make a 100% meth tune and get some logs and i'll post results. Also need to head to dyno with 100% tune and see how compares to my 380 run with 50-50% tune.

It will be cool to see what you put down with upgraded piping and ic they make a big difference especially if the stockers aren't great. I upgraded my ic to an ETS and picked up about 2psi from increased efficiency. I tested before and after at just wastegate spring pressure.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:35 PM
I guess it's common to get a 30-40 whp increase with the piping, not sure about IC's, but I guess if I get a 30-40whp increase altogether, I would be pleased.