996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

DIY rear carpet removal and lightweight carpet replacement.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 01:45 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SeattleTurbo
Argh, don't tell me this, I don't need to go buying new carpet on top of everything else
I got lucky as I was able to get a smoking deal on a full GT2 leather interior from a car a guy turned into a race car, pretty much $0.05 on the dollar, carpets, door cards, airbags, headliner, everything. New the stuff is outrageously expensive with just the door cards at $5k each. Sometimes the GT3 stuff pops up used but a lot of that is not real leather as that was an option in the GT3, stock on TT/GT2.

Old 10-05-2017, 02:01 PM
SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
I got lucky as I was able to get a smoking deal on a full GT2 leather interior from a car a guy turned into a race car, pretty much $0.05 on the dollar, carpets, door cards, airbags, headliner, everything. New the stuff is outrageously expensive with just the door cards at $5k each. Sometimes the GT3 stuff pops up used but a lot of that is not real leather as that was an option in the GT3, stock on TT/GT2.
Very nice. I remember seeing that thread I think where he posted it. You beat me to it, that was a hell of a deal. I'm guessing this is where the headliner I just bought originated. I keep my eye out for door panels, but the leather ones are super rare. Lot of guys on various sites trying to pass off Carrera panels with the pocket as GT2 panels...

Good to know about the carpets though, I had no idea they were lighter. GT3 carpets are same as GT2 carpets I presume?

Old 10-05-2017, 02:13 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Very nice. I remember seeing that thread I think where he posted it. You beat me to it, that was a hell of a deal. I'm guessing this is where the headliner I just bought originated. I keep my eye out for door panels, but the leather ones are super rare. Lot of guys on various sites trying to pass off Carrera panels with the pocket as GT2 panels...

Good to know about the carpets though, I had no idea they were lighter. GT3 carpets are same as GT2 carpets I presume?
Correct. It was a steal, I think $1500 shipped for everything. I already had the headliner so I sold the one you ended up with recently. The door cards are nice as they do not have the speakers. I think the GT3 carpets are going to be the same as GT2 but I'd have to verify in PET. The main floor carpet is the same thickness as TT carpet undoubtedly for durability reasons. I shaved the insulation from the midway point rearward. All the rear carpeting is much thinner/lighter, especially the large piece that covers the rear seats.

Old 10-06-2017, 12:24 PM
SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !
Correct. It was a steal, I think $1500 shipped for everything. I already had the headliner so I sold the one you ended up with recently. The door cards are nice as they do not have the speakers. I think the GT3 carpets are going to be the same as GT2 but I'd have to verify in PET. The main floor carpet is the same thickness as TT carpet undoubtedly for durability reasons. I shaved the insulation from the midway point rearward. All the rear carpeting is much thinner/lighter, especially the large piece that covers the rear seats.
Gotcha. I've shaved all of my carpets already but kept the area under the driver pedals in there to keep some support. Good to know that I only need to seek out the rears and the door panels. Already deleted the door speakers to save a few pounds.

Old 10-06-2017, 03:34 PM
ghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to behold
Anyone switched the rear window for the RS makrolon window? Will save some lbs too!

Old 10-07-2017, 12:04 AM
LQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond repute
Yes - gt2 and gt3 only came with black carpet, which sucks. I’ve shaved my carpets. Didn’t know the gt2 rear carpets were lighter.

Sambo installed gt3rs glass windows in mine. They are glass but noticable thiner.

Old 10-07-2017, 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by LQQK

Sambo installed gt3rs glass windows in mine. They are glass but noticable thiner.
Looked in PET. Looks like the door and rear side glass is the same on all 996TT/GT2/GT3. The rear window is a offered as a 901.02 across all three cars. There is also a 901.03 listed for the 996.2 GT3 but it's the same price as the 901.02 at a little over $600 so I think it may be a superseded part. Finally there is the plastic 996GT3RS rear window 111.92 that is available at $1300+. Which did you guys put in? The reason I ask is that I've compared the rear window out of a 2005GT2 with a TT window and could not tell any difference in thickness or weight.

Last edited by pwdrhound; 10-13-2017 at 12:53 PM.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by ghostofpain
Anyone switched the rear window for the RS makrolon window? Will save some lbs too!
I'm thinking to do a polycarbonate/makrolon/lexan rear window and rear 1/4 windows when I swap the roof for a sunroof delete roof since the glass has to come out anyway... if no one else does it before me, I'll write up my impressions and post it here. Every time I convince myself to do it, I get talked out of it.

Old 10-09-2017, 11:03 AM
Looked in PET. Looks like the door and rear side glass is the same on all 996TT/GT2/GT3. The rear window is a offered as a 901.02 across all three cars. There is also a 901.03 listed for the 996.2 GT3 but it's the same price as the 901.03 at a little over $600. Finally there is the plastic 996GT3RS rear window 111.92 that is available at $1300+. Which did you guys put in? The reason I ask is that I've compared the rear window out of a 2005GT2 with a TT window and could not tell any difference in thickness or weight.
Is the front windscreen lighter? Since I'm going to be replacing mine anyway, may as well go with the GT version if it benefits. Seems there are different part numbers for the GT2 screen vs Turbo screen, but not sure if there is any weight benefit

Old 10-09-2017, 05:12 PM
Is the front windscreen lighter? Since I'm going to be replacing mine anyway, may as well go with the GT version if it benefits. Seems there are different part numbers for the GT2 screen vs Turbo screen, but not sure if there is any weight benefit
I have brand new OEM GT2 windshield in the box at home as a spare. Weight wise I don't think it's any different than the TT version except for a different mirror attachment. The GT2 uses a simple manual $60 rear view mirror while the TT uses the expensive auto dim mirror. The GT2 windshield is not overly expensive, I think it was a little cheaper than than the TT windshield actually, $550 if I recall. The seal and frame is another $75 or so.

I may do the OEM GT3RS plastic rear this winter. I don't think doing the sides is worth much as they are only 3mm thick and very small. I'd be surprised if you saved more than a pound each. The rear will likely save 5 lbs (maybe more?), which amounts to $300/lb weight savings. Not exactly cheap but it's removing weight from the right end of the car which is good. When you remove the rear window, you will not damage as it's tempered so it can be reused / resold. The front generally cracks during removal.

Last edited by pwdrhound; 10-09-2017 at 05:26 PM.