996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Need Windshield Replaced in So.Cal. - Suggestions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 02:56 PM
universal111 is infamous around these parts
even if you take porsche dealer, it wont be to porsche specs as when installed in factory. Porsche dealers do not have glass installers in-house. if you take car to dealer to get glass replaced, they will sub contract it out to a local glass company.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:48 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by universal111
even if you take porsche dealer, it wont be to porsche specs as when installed in factory. Porsche dealers do not have glass installers in-house. if you take car to dealer to get glass replaced, they will sub contract it out to a local glass company.
Exactly. Which is why you need to find an installer that uses mfg materials, tools and specs.

If that stuff matters to you, for many it does not....

Old 04-21-2011, 03:57 PM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
The dealer I use orders the glass themselves - direct mfr replacement. Then they hire a glass company that comes to the dealer for the install. Warranty lies with the dealer. I'm pretty sure that is how all dealers would handle the process. They recently did my Cayenne and it came out perfect.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:49 AM
universal111 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ard
Exactly. Which is why you need to find an installer that uses mfg materials, tools and specs.

There are no special mfg materials. You can use an oem quality urethane and primer, but wont be same as factory. There are no mfg tools, same tools used on every vehicle, unless you have 2 robots that the porsche factory uses. If you get Porsche or OEM glass which would be Pilkington, thats mfg spec.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:51 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ard

And what exactly are those mfg materials, tools and specs? Can you please show me where that is written or spelled out? I bet if you ask most installers they will tell you they comply. Thanks

Old 04-22-2011, 11:51 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by universal111
There are no special mfg materials. You can use an oem quality urethane and primer, but wont be same as factory. There are no mfg tools, same tools used on every vehicle, unless you have 2 robots that the porsche factory uses. If you get Porsche or OEM glass which would be Pilkington, thats mfg spec.
1. Interesting. So Porsche ships Pilkington glass from the USA over to germany?

Always thought OE was Sekurit/Saint Gobain.... but you are the expert, so I stand corrected.

2. There are two disticnct issues here: first, do you want 'any old job' done by any monkey in a Safelite truck? If the answer is 'yes', then stop here and go with safelite.

However, if you want the care and expertise that MAY come with a private shop that speciailizes in Porsches, or German cars, or whatever, then you may need to USE arguments to show that safelite is not appropriate. This is the thrust of my arguments.

Finally, the workshop manual has a defined procedure for doing a windshield replacement- reference section 64-12-19. Is the safelite system "the same"? Dunno, anyone have test data or approval from Porsche?

So, in summary- you can USE this lack of proof/data to get the windshield installer YOU want. If you want safelite, go for it.

A