996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Engine Oil Indicator behaving strangely

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 11:15 AM
viprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond repute
Engine Oil Indicator behaving strangely

I just got the 996 TT out from storage last weekend & on the way home the engine oil failure indicator came on (the one showing the oil can). It stayed on for a second or two and then turned off. I also notice that the oil pressure gauge was jumping around/the needle pegged at 5 & then dropped to 3-4. It did this repeatedly before settling at 3-4. The car is running perfectly. I stopped immediately and ran an oil level check (fine). It appears that the gauge is malfunctioning. Could anyone shed some light on the cause/culprit.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:46 AM
dailydriver will become famous soon enough
Oil Pressure sending unit could be a likely culprit. There are posts all over the Rennspeed Forums (and likely here) that detail cleaning the electrical contacts on the unit, or replacing it if need be.

I had a similar issue with mine, I saw the oil warning light and after the needle would just stayed pegged at 5. I got a can of elctrical contact cleaner and sprayed it all down and it seemed to do the trick.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:00 PM
NineElevenLover is just really niceNineElevenLover is just really niceNineElevenLover is just really niceNineElevenLover is just really niceNineElevenLover is just really nice
Very common. Most likely the oil pressure switch/sender unit.

See my video of the same type of behaviour...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZDefX9Ws1Q&hd=1

Old 05-31-2011, 04:16 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Spoke with GTP about this (a reputable porsche shop focusing on 911s) ...there are 2 kinds of warning lights...

the red circular one on the string of warning lights under the gausge cluster - this is the bad one if you get this pull over imediatley and shut the engine off...they said..

the second is the sensor, a digital message wil appear on your tachometer screen in the area where all of your trip/boost/range etc.. info is located...this will read 'indicator failure' with the little oil symbol next to it. at the same time your needle will drop from 5 to 0 and scare the crap out of you befroe going back to 5 and it may do this a few times after you clear it with the stalk, it can happen whenever and ussually will trigger that same message again...but this is just the sensor that needs to be replaced. This one is not something to be alarmed about, it's a quick easy and cheap fix - it's the better of the two...they said..

Old 05-31-2011, 08:54 PM
Banned
k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !
NineElevenLover: Where do you keep your oil level at normally? Max, middle of max|min?

Old 06-01-2011, 08:20 AM
viprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond reputeviprklr has a reputation beyond repute
Normally, I keep the oil level right in the middle.
BTW, Sunir, that is exactly what happens with the sensor...the engine oil failure message pops up and I will "reset" with the stalk. The message goes away and then will come back. How hard is it to replace the sensor and any ideas where to purchase.
Thanks Todd

Old 06-01-2011, 08:37 AM
Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !
Had this exact same issue with my old 996 C4S. Happened in the middle of a road trip to Oregon and freaked me out. It did exactly as you describe magically going away and coming back again later on. The sending unit is the most likely cause and it was with mine. The other possibility (less likely) is that it is a problem with your gauge cluster. A few hours in the shop and she'll be good to go. Maybe some guys have done this job themselves but it wasn't an option for me being 600 miles from home when it happened.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:36 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
for the case I descibed it is a fairly common issue, it's the better of the two oil related messages..it is the sensor that has gone bad and needs to be replaced. I estimate it to be an easy job and it is not detremental to the engine, from what I have been told.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:55 PM
Any ideas on where to purchase. Is this a job for a noobie or best reserved for a shop. Glad this isnt too serious.
Thanks

Old 06-01-2011, 03:46 PM
Originally Posted by viprklr
Any ideas on where to purchase. Is this a job for a noobie or best reserved for a shop. Glad this isnt too serious.
Thanks
dunno bud...about that all I can say is get an opinion from a reputable shop...

Old 06-01-2011, 05:10 PM
Banned
k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by viprklr
Thanks
If your car savy..then go for it; look up the illustration on rennlist and tackle the job, it's not rocket science. I'm almost certain it's just a sender that is screwed into the block...that just needs to be r/i.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:13 PM
jayster is on a distinguished road
Initially run after storage, and all is fine now. Probabaly had to purge a small amount of air from the high side of oil supply. All is ok
Jay.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:18 PM
GP2222 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by NineElevenLover
Very common. Most likely the oil pressure switch/sender unit.

See my video of the same type of behaviour...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZDefX9Ws1Q&hd=1

But that looks totally normal (when the engine oil is warm and up to temp, it should be sitting about there at idle).

What the OP is talking about is the gauge dropping to zero (for a second or two) and triggering a warning message.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:44 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Just had this happen to me. My tech removed the airbox and throttle body to make room to get to the sensor. Changed the old for a new one and all is back to normal.

Old 09-14-2011, 05:34 PM
Romans 1:16 is just really niceRomans 1:16 is just really niceRomans 1:16 is just really niceRomans 1:16 is just really nice
Originally Posted by landjet
Just had this happen to me. My tech removed the airbox and throttle body to make room to get to the sensor. Changed the old for a new one and all is back to normal.
Is this something anyone would want to do themselves? Mine jumps around all the time but has never been an issue other than the annoyance.