996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

What's the lightest battery, that you don't need to trickle charge on a regular basis

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 12:39 PM
drhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to behold
What's the lightest battery, that you don't need to trickle charge on a regular basis

The car may sit for 5-7 days at a time. I don't want to spend over $300.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:43 PM
randomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to beholdrandomquickness is a splendid one to behold
braille 21 lb served me well. as long as I drove the car once a week it never had an issue. if it sat closer to 2 weeks it would still start but you could tell it was weaker.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:17 PM
Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !
braille 11.5

Old 07-05-2011, 09:08 AM
drhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to behold
As in 11.5 lbs

Originally Posted by Blockhed
braille 11.5
Or is that model #

Old 07-05-2011, 09:18 AM
Dr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of light
The Odyssey PC925 served me well in my S4. Never had any starting issues even when it sat for a few weeks. It was great even during winter (in the negatives) startups. But it's a bit bigger and therefore heavier than the braille's or the PC680.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:37 AM
earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !
Deka 21 lb = Braille without the sticker at half the price...

Old 07-05-2011, 11:02 AM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
If it's one wek, any good battery should do. Even my OEM battery handles a couple of weeks without a trickle charger no problem (not that it ever really goes a couple of weeks very often). I think the need for a trickle charger is more due to the car than the battery. These cars continue to draw power (seems like a little more than most) just sitting there. With any battery, you'll likely need a maintainer if it's going to sit for long.

Old 07-05-2011, 06:43 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
I'm not sure how well this would work on a Porsche 996 ('ve killed the battery once and it was a bit of a PITA to get things back in order), but when I used to run an 11.5 pound Braille batteries on other cars I'd just disconnect the negative terminal and than re-connect it when I was ready to drive the car. I never had a single problem with the battery when I did that.

Since the 996TT 'trunk' is battery operated, you'd need to plan ahead and leave it open resting on the latch, but this may be a viable option if others can confirm it. For the record I don't mess around with lightweight batteries yet on my own 996TT and the one time I killed the full-size battery it was my own fault. I got to spend some quality time with the owner's manual after that!

Old 07-06-2011, 11:06 AM
MrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
The Odyssey PC925 served me well in my S4. Never had any starting issues even when it sat for a few weeks. It was great even during winter (in the negatives) startups. But it's a bit bigger and therefore heavier than the braille's or the PC680.

+1 for PC925