996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Some metal on my gearbox oil magnetic cap.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 12:31 PM
Banned
Sql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to behold
Some metal on my gearbox oil magnetic cap.

Changed oil in my gearbox... found this:

It was prob the first gearbox oil change in 55k miles that this car covered.

Is that more or less normal or am I ****ed?

Last edited by Sql_pl; 07-02-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:31 PM
kwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud of
Wow, first post on this subject I've seen personally. Hopefully someone with some experience chimes in for you.

How does it feel when you drive it through the gears? Good luck!

Justin

Old 07-02-2011, 05:11 PM
Banned
Sql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to behold
Absolutely ZERO gearchange issues.

Car drives through all gears perfectly, it just makes that noise that I mentioned in my other thread, like bad bearing/whine kind of noise under load.

Will have the car checked on tuesday, hope it is nothing serious.

Maybe a bearing in the box died? Would it spit metal into oil like that so that magnet could collect it?

Old 07-02-2011, 05:16 PM
Banned
porka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant future
slight miss engagement will cause this.. it would be more unlikely to pull the drain plug and not see any shards of metal from the syncros

therefore - dont even worry about it

if you want to change more fluids, get that front diff fluid drained too.. you can use the gear oil on that too.

Old 07-02-2011, 06:01 PM
Banned
Took care of the diff fluid today as well, thanks for the tip.

Happy to see that some metal does not neccessarily mean a transmission disaster.

I still have to figure out that whine/bad bearing noise from the back, it drives me crazy and gets louder everyday.

Is there a chance that a flywheel on its way out could cause such noise under load in higher gears (3rd gear +) ? i do have the flywheel rattle when I kill the engine without pushing the clutch first.

When I drive, that whining noise is not there in 1st, almost non audible in 2nd and then starting at 3rd it gets loud enough for me to not enjoy the ride anymore. It is not there in neutral or when in gear, not accelerating.

Old 07-02-2011, 07:51 PM
Banned
k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !
Seems normal to me; thats just normal wear & tear from synchros and so on...

Old 07-02-2011, 08:42 PM
tonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud of
100% normal

Old 07-02-2011, 09:12 PM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
I just had my gear oil changed at a little over 50k and the mechanic said it has some small metal bit on it like yours. Tranny seems fine...

Old 07-02-2011, 09:17 PM
Cueto will become famous soon enough
Tranny fluid doubts.

Since we are discussing trannies, I am getting a clutch job/LWFW and we are swaping the fluid. Besides the tranny, i should also swap teh flui in the front diff? Anywhere else?

Delvac 75w90 for everything OR some other gear oil?

thanks

Old 07-03-2011, 06:16 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Bearings(aluminum) and synchros (brass) are not usually steel, so they won't stick to a magnet...unless you have aftermarket synchros or GT2 synchros. That is probably gear shavings....

Old 07-04-2011, 12:47 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
I just changed gearbox fluid on a 996tt with 30k and it had just a small amount of soft metallic fuzz on the drain plug magnet. I would say less than a 1/4 of what is shown in your pics.

Originally Posted by Sql_pl
Changed oil in my ... found this:

It was prob the first gearbox oil change in 55k miles that this car covered.

Is that more or less normal or am I ****ed?

Old 07-04-2011, 12:53 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Mobilube PTX or Shell transaxle, both Porsche specific and approved gearbox fluids only sold through Porsche dealers.

Originally Posted by Cueto
Since we are discussing trannies, I am getting a clutch job/LWFW and we are swaping the fluid. Besides the tranny, i should also swap teh flui in the front diff? Anywhere else?

Delvac 75w90 for everything OR some other gear oil?

thanks