996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

PSM / ABS failure drive to workshop...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 09:08 AM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by H8T WP
Ok ill get sensors looked at and cleaned 1st ! have a new MAF on order so we will see how it goes.

On a separate note the car all of a sudden wont now boost past 0.5 bar...

OK I will ask again before you spend unnecessarily on parts you might not need.

Have.......you....... had....... the..... fault...... codes....... read...... out.......yet?????

Most sensor problems have a code.

Also, with a durametric you can test the wheel speed sensors as well plus a whole bunch of other stuff.

Last edited by Frank ( Sunnyside ); 08-24-2011 at 09:11 AM.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:03 AM
H8T WP will become famous soon enough
not yet !! my place was shut yesterday (bank hol) and im working all week ! but its on my list

Old 08-30-2011, 02:20 PM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
not yet !! my place was shut yesterday (bank hol) and im working all week ! but its on my list
Look forward to seeing if you have any.
I keep getting ABS/PSM failure and the code is for steering angle Sensor Failure, it can be fine for 500 miles or can give me ABS/PSM failure after just 10 miles. I think it was because I had some Geo work done to the car and didn't have the Steering Angle Sensor Calibrated.
Now it has been done , I will see what happens in the future.
I have a PST2 now so will keep an eye on the calibration of the sensor. IIRC it can be done with Durametrics but not sure. Now i have PST2 and Durametrics I'm like a dog with 2 dicks, I don't know which one to use

Last edited by Frank ( Sunnyside ); 08-30-2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:21 PM
kwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud of
Frank, you got one of these? Looks like an expensive tool, you nut!

Justin

Originally Posted by Sunnyside
Look forward to seeing if you have any.
I keep getting ABS/PSM failure and the code is for steering angle Sensor Failure, it can be fine for 500 miles or can give me ABS/PSM failure after just 10 miles. I think it was because I had some Geo work done to the car and didn't have the Steering Angle Sensor Calibrated.
Now it has been done , I will see what happens in the future.
I have a PST2 now so will keep an eye on the calibration of the sensor. IIRC it can be done with Durametrics but not sure. Now i have PST2 and Durametrics I'm like a dog with 2 dicks, I don't know which one to use

Old 08-31-2011, 04:26 AM
H8T WP will become famous soon enough
Im tempted to buy Durametric or a fault reader my self lol untill then i have to borrow one, any one in London, UK fancy helping me out lol

Old 08-31-2011, 04:28 AM
Originally Posted by kwei
Frank, you got one of these? Looks like an expensive tool, you nut!

Justin
Yes .
YHM

Old 08-31-2011, 04:47 AM
Im tempted to buy Durametric or a fault reader my self lol untill then i have to borrow one, any one in London, UK fancy helping me out lol
If you intend to keep the car I would most defonitly get one.
Have a look , this is where i got mine from: http://www.hickleys.com/diagnostics/durametric.php

You don't have to go for the pro version, but if you can save up a bit longer its well well worth it. If you have a few mates with a Porsche you wont be limited to only 3 Vin Numbers. Durametric is being updated all the time so even if you bought a 997 it will work and Owen form Durametric is second to non with customer help.

Frank

Old 05-26-2013, 10:49 AM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
Reviving an old thread. I just had this message occur on Friday after moving the car for like 10 feet. I did happen to do a full steering wheel lock, so I'm wondering if this is related to the harness mentioned earlier?? The car also idled rough like it wanted to die. After I turned it off and back on, everything was back to normal?!

I'll start by cleaning the MAF...

Last edited by FI_FTW; 05-26-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:37 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by FI_FTW
I just had this message occur on Friday after moving the car for like 10 feet. I did happen to do a full steering wheel lock, so I'm wondering if this is related to the harness mentioned earlier?? The car also idled rough like it wanted to die. After I turned it off and back on, everything was back to normal?!

I'll start by cleaning the MAF...
there is some peculiarity with either the sensor or the harness, and i think at hard lock ( esp if the car is at angle as in a very steep driveway such as i have..)

that causes the abs/psm. i don't remember any stored codes? but it stopped happening only when i changed the attack angle of my driveway, leading me to suspect a momentary crimp to the steering angle sensor/harness.. really.

another thought.. you said moved it 10 feet. has the car been sitting for a while, and if so? i would take it out and throttle it. it never ceases to amaze me, how badly these cars respond to sitting around.. even if only weeks.

i wouldn't mess with the maf unless you have maf issues/codes.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:09 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by '02996ttx50
there is some peculiarity with either the sensor or the harness, and i think at hard lock ( esp if the car is at angle as in a very steep driveway such as i have..)

that causes the abs/psm. i don't remember any stored codes? but it stopped happening only when i changed the attack angle of my driveway, leading me to suspect a momentary crimp to the steering angle sensor/harness.. really.

another thought.. you said moved it 10 feet. has the car been sitting for a while, and if so? i would take it out and throttle it. it never ceases to amaze me, how badly these cars respond to sitting around.. even if only weeks.

i wouldn't mess with the maf unless you have maf issues/codes.
It had been sitting for a little while but I drove it in the morning and then back home at night. I stopped on my way back to take a few pics and moved the car around to get the right angle, did a steering wheel lock, got out the car (while it was still running) and it started idling rough and sputtering?! I looked at the dash and noticed the "PSM / ABS failure take it to the shop". Turned it off and back on and all was back to normal.

I cleaned the MAF this afternoon real quick anyway. No rough idle on cold start and it seems to be running just fine. I did notice the idle dips a bit after revving it before it returns back to normal. Not sure if it did that before. I also have that new exhaust on there, so I wonder if that is affecting anything. In any case, no CEL.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:38 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by FI_FTW
I did notice the idle dips a bit after revving it before it returns back to normal. Not sure if it did that before. I also have that new exhaust on there, so I wonder if that is affecting anything. In any case, no CEL.
so no code, you're good. is it possible the ecu is adjusting to the new exhaust? the car can throw abs/psm's when new tires go on as you know so maybe it's adjusting its air/fuel... if they do that

either way.. sounds like it just wants to be throttled. go blast laguna and enjoy the day off tomorrow

Old 05-26-2013, 10:07 PM
so no code, you're good. is it possible the ecu is adjusting to the new exhaust? the car can throw abs/psm's when new tires go on as you know so maybe it's adjusting its air/fuel... if they do that

either way.. sounds like it just wants to be throttled. go blast laguna and enjoy the day off tomorrow
Yeah, I was wondering if the ECU is adjusting to the new exhaust. Friday was the first day I drove it any considerable distance with the new system on it.

Old 05-27-2013, 03:38 PM
silver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to allsilver is a name known to all
Car was showing this same psm abs code and turned out I had blown the F hose off the intake side. Reattached and went through 3-4 starting cycles but lights stayed on. Drove the car to advanced auto to have codes read for free and car drove fine and boosted normal. Had codes reset and all seems fine on the ride home. Check for boost leaks. I know it seems unlikely but it was exactly that for me.

Old 05-27-2013, 04:37 PM
Seems your cars fine. The gas pedals the long one on the right! J/k.. Seriously though..Nice ride. I ended up in Palmdale on the way back Whoops! wrong side of the mountain! Unless ya live in a trailer lol

Old 05-27-2013, 05:11 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
thanks for the input. i'm aware that this is optimal for the car on stock wheels. i'm just trying to figure out ( with great difficulty! ) if although the 225/40 on the front is not optimal, it is in fact within the 3% as given to be "acceptable" by the manufacturer.

this is my dilemma. the revs per mile are 829 on the 225/40 ( diameter is 25.1 ) and revs/mile are 817 on the 315/30 ( diameter is 25.5 ). is there anyone here that can deduce from these numbers the actual % figure i am off?? if i am figuring this correctly, i have a .4 inch differential between the front and rears as they are currently? and that is within ( and yet, i understand NOT optimal ) but recommended specs for our cars. esp given the minor differences in diameter on the two sizes of PS2's.

am i missing something? ( other than fairly basic math skills, i mean! )
thanks for any clarification you or anyone might provide.
You're less than 2% difference (more like 1.5%) in revs and diameter.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PSM / ABS failure drive to workshop...