996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

PSM / ABS failure drive to workshop...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 03:26 PM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FI_FTW
I'll see if I can clean it tonight with some electronic parts cleaner. I imagine it's in the pipe right behind the MAF?
Don't use an oil coated filter, if you do use a K&N make sure its very thinly oiled and I do mean very thin. Ultra fine particles of oil can get onto the MAF and cause issues.

You don't actually need the MAF to drive about, if you disconnect it the computer fills in the blanks with a pre loaded average map. So if you ever suspect a completely defective map un plug it and drive the car. if the engine still plays up then its not the maf as its not connected to the computer. It will be running a pre defined map program.

Last edited by Frank ( Sunnyside ); 06-03-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:29 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
i shouldn;t even be appearing to give advice on HOW to clean it. lol. it's behind the airffilter housing y pipe etc .. yes.

i wouldn;t try and tackle this alone. given it's exploratory and all.

Old 06-03-2013, 03:43 PM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
I cant say I've noticed this sort of issue with the TB.If it gunks up it can cause start up issues . Try doing a TB calibration by turning on the ignition and not touching the throttle. You will hear it going from closed to fully open and back a few times . Its learning where the stops are. Its also cleaning its self by going through the full motion of the Throttle.

It wont harm to clean it up, but if its not dirty then why cause possible other issues removing it.

Old 06-03-2013, 03:49 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
i agree. there is also usually a code w tb issues even if it's an 1101 definition not found. it's just a possible given it's at idle mostly and throws no specific code. that's also why i suggested it.. he needs to OPEN it up lol

does the idle hunt +/- up to 1krpm or what happens when it goes from ok to rough?

Old 06-03-2013, 04:40 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
The idle is basically fine until the "PSM / ABS failure drive to workshop" error occurs. Then the idle drops down and the engine nearly dies before the rpm jumps up again and it continues that cycle. I turned it off at that point but I'm pretty sure it would eventually die on its own.

I don't really know how to replicate the error; it only happens sporadically at this point.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:41 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Sunnyside
You will hear it going from closed to fully open and back a few times . Its learning where the stops are. Its also cleaning its self by going through the full motion of the Throttle.
Is that the clicking sounds you hear when turning on the ignition (without starting the car) ?

Old 06-03-2013, 05:58 PM
gotta be frustrating. sorry i'm out of ideas but you're certain there is no code stored in that scanner? you're gonna need a porsche diagnostic if someone cant/wont suggest another possible solution.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by '02996ttx50
gotta be frustrating. sorry i'm out of ideas but you're certain there is no code stored in that scanner? you're gonna need a porsche diagnostic if someone cant/wont suggest another possible solution.
Just checked again yesterday. No codes. I'll check out the TB, make sure all is connected well, clean the remaining wheels sensors. If it still pops up, I'll ask my mechanic to check for boost leaks. That should eliminate a lot. It may take me a while to hunt it down but I WILL find it

Old 06-26-2013, 10:51 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
Did you ever find the source of your issues?

Old 06-26-2013, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by deckman
Did you ever find the source of your issues?
I have been out of the country the last couple of weeks, so no time to look at it. I'll definitely post an update as soon as I have one though. Since I don't have time to drive the car very often, it may be a while before I finally find the issue.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:42 PM
rxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond repute
If you unplug the MAF sensor plug, does the car run better ? You can run this way to bypass MAF but your PSM and ABS light will indicate failure. If you use a code reader, should register a MAF low voltage failure. Try replacing MAF with a new BOSCH unit (Can be had from Amazon for ~120.00)

Old 07-14-2013, 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by rxbike
If you unplug the MAF sensor plug, does the car run better ? You can run this way to bypass MAF but your PSM and ABS light will indicate failure. If you use a code reader, should register a MAF low voltage failure. Try replacing MAF with a new BOSCH unit (Can be had from Amazon for ~120.00)
Actually, the car runs great, except when that error shows up. I had it again today. EXACT same scenario as last time; the car was idling in front of the house after a long drive and the ABS failure resurfaced?! And again, no codes.

I have to find someone in OC who is very familiar with troubleshooting this particular error. A regular shop will probably just replace the ABS module, which is way expensive and most likely not necessary.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:00 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
The ABS warning light comes on for all kinds of other issues totally unrelated to ABS. Don't be in a hurry to replace any ABS components unless you actually can confirm it is ABS related. You may have to live with it until a code is finally returned. Once you have a code, you can zero in on the real problem.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:57 AM
rxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FI_FTW
Actually, the car runs great, except when that error shows up. I had it again today. EXACT same scenario as last time; the car was idling in front of the house after a long drive and the ABS failure resurfaced?! And again, no codes.

I have to find someone in OC who is very familiar with troubleshooting this particular error. A regular shop will probably just replace the ABS module, which is way expensive and most likely not necessary.
How many miles are on your car ? If you are over 60K have you done 02 sensor replacement ?
I recently had some issues with mine with MAF and O2 sensor combined. MAF are cheap and even though cleaning it makes it a little better, the diodes can be a little finicky. Since you cleaned the maf, did you clean the intake hose also ? A common problem I use to have with my turbo diesel running oiled filter was the turbo would suck so much air that the intake hose would have a film of oil within it and dirt would stick inside the hose. It is possible that you may have picked up fresh gunk from spirited (boosted) driving, pulling junk onto your MAF again. Idle drop and then going back to normal are typical MAF issue . Next time the the car is dipping idle like that, let it run a little rough and quickly unplug the MAF harness. If vehicle comes back to idle MAF may be your culprit. The PSM/ABS light will be on at that point but short of having a code scanner running live data feed, that might be your best bet.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:06 AM
I think I'll bring it in to my mechanic and list all the possible causes I have found through my research. I'll also drop in a paper filter; the one in there is definitely not stock. It has the typical metal mesh you find on aftermarket oil filters.

My basic code reader shows no codes but he may be able to read a lot more info with his higher tech equipment.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PSM / ABS failure drive to workshop...