996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

PSM / ABS failure drive to workshop...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 10:09 AM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rxbike
How many miles are on your car ? If you are over 60K have you done 02 sensor replacement ?
69k mi btw. I'd have to check prior service records but I don't think the O2 sensors have been replaced. I did have a new exhaust installed a while ago, so maybe that affected the sensors, not sure? I did not get the failure with the stock exhaust but that may just be a coincidence.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:10 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by FI_FTW
I think I'll bring it in to my mechanic and list all the possible causes I have found through my research. I'll also drop in a paper filter; the one in there is definitely not stock. It has the typical metal mesh you find on aftermarket oil filters.

My basic code reader shows no codes but he may be able to read a lot more info with his higher tech equipment.
If you want to be able to fix this stuff yourself, it would definitely help to have the Durametric cable and software. With that, you can view errors that don't actually throw a code. I figured from your comments that you were already using such a tool.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:14 AM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Slider
If you want to be able to fix this stuff yourself, it would definitely help to have the Durametric cable and software. With that, you can view errors that don't actually throw a code. I figured from your comments that you were already using such a tool.
I just have a basic code reader. Actron CP9550.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:32 AM
rxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond repute
I just have a basic code reader. Actron CP9550.
That unit is only for quickie code read. Won't even do live frame data. Get a durametric, that way you'll have an idea next time before going to the mechanic. Your shop will get you for at least an hour diagnostic time if not more, to isolate the problem. Two hours at most shop will about pay for a durametric cable/software and then parts and labor on top of that.

BTW, but Harbor Freight Tool's top hand held scanner is pretty flexible too. It does not have the nice GUI display of durametric but handy to carry in your vehicle to be ready when ever. I have one in my TT and also in my Tundra just in case. The Audi has a VAG portable scanner of its own.
Not a durametric replacement but pretty handy.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:51 AM
That unit is only for quickie code read. Won't even do live frame data. Get a durametric, that way you'll have an idea next time before going to the mechanic. Your shop will get you for at least an hour diagnostic time if not more, to isolate the problem. Two hours at most shop will about pay for a durametric cable/software and then parts and labor on top of that.

BTW, but Harbor Freight Tool's top hand held scanner is pretty flexible too. It does not have the nice GUI display of durametric but handy to carry in your vehicle to be ready when ever. I have one in my TT and also in my Tundra just in case. The Audi has a VAG portable scanner of its own.
Not a durametric replacement but pretty handy.
Yea, I'll need to get one eventually. So, do I get the Durametric or the Harbor Freight one? Since there could be a million different causes, I'll let him handle this one. Luckily he doesn't charge Porsche prices

Old 07-15-2013, 10:57 AM
rxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond repute
Yea, I'll need to get one eventually. So, do I get the Durametric or the Harbor Freight one? Since there could be a million different causes, I'll let him handle this one. Luckily he doesn't charge Porsche prices
The harbor freight special is pretty universal for all OBDII and it is self contained. If you have other vehicles in your garage (not jaguar ) then it will serve many purpose.

I would suggest durametric if you plan on owning your porsche and other porsche subsequently then get it. Both units are only as good as the person reading the data, as I am a novice, it helps me run basic diagnostics and some advance data logging to send out to the tuner.

Get both

Old 07-15-2013, 10:59 AM
The harbor freight special is pretty universal for all OBDII and it is self contained. If you have other vehicles in your garage (not jaguar ) then it will serve many purpose.
VW, Merc, BMW and Porsche. Yes, I like German cars

Old 07-18-2013, 06:11 PM
Alright, even though I did not trigger a CEL, these were the codes read by my mechanic's $12k equipment LOL
* MAF sensor
* 1 ABS fault that did not re-occur
* 1 catalytic converter efficiency error that did not re-occur (probably related to my exhaust)

Error 2 and 3 he wasn't too worried about, so I will go ahead and change the MAF. I will also buy a paper air filter while I'm at it. Once installed, he'll erase all codes and see if anything else shows up.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:21 AM
Alright, even though I did not trigger a CEL, these were the codes read by my mechanic's $12k equipment LOL
* MAF sensor
* 1 ABS fault that did not re-occur
* 1 catalytic converter efficiency error that did not re-occur (probably related to my exhaust)

Error 2 and 3 he wasn't too worried about, so I will go ahead and change the MAF. I will also buy a paper air filter while I'm at it. Once installed, he'll erase all codes and see if anything else shows up.
As I said before, clean you intake tube too since you had an oiled filter element, most likely there is a thin film of oil/dirt inside the tube and gets sucked across your MAF everytime you are under heavy boost. At stock 0.7 bar, you might not pull much to be concerned, under 1 to 1.2 bar that's a lot of air going through there.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:44 AM
Since I'm replacing the air filter as well, I'll take it all apart for a good cleaning. I should probably clean the TB as well while I'm at it.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:00 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
I find I should point out that often if you get MAF and ABS codes at the same time, the issue isn't MAF or ABS. It's usually related to air flow though (but not always). It can be related to ignition as well. Unfortunately those codes are so generic for the Porsche that they don't really point you to the exact source of the issue.

Old 09-16-2013, 11:04 PM
Just as an update. Since I replaced the MAF, the PSM/ABS error has not resurfaced. That said, I don't drive the car very often so I'll give it a little more time before I call it a permanent fix

Old 09-17-2013, 09:34 AM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
I see this all the top when I pop off the tb/y-pipe coupler. Basically the maf says I should be getting one thing, but the pressure is lost from a boost leak.

I just put everything back together and it's fixed.

Now that I have stronger clamps on the coupler, it doesn't pop off anymore

Old 12-20-2013, 06:24 AM
chrisp911 has a spectacular aura aboutchrisp911 has a spectacular aura about
OK I am hoping I missed the post where someone fixed theirs under the dash. I need to find where the abs wire Brown/blue brown/white goes to once it enters the car from the battery area.

Old 07-22-2017, 08:18 PM
Michael Dougherty is an unknown quantity at this point
Re adjusting my MAF fixed my PCM/ABS error in my 996

Originally Posted by Slider
If it happens only when you brake, it's probably not the MAF. That stupid ABS light comes on for all kinds of stuff, but in this case, it may actually be ABS related. I'd take all the wheels off and have a real close look - or take it to the shop.
Re adjusting my MAF fixed my PCM/ABS error in my 996