996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

check your lifters again

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 08:01 AM
winnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond repute
check your lifters again

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...r-lifters.html

if i was inspiried after reading above thread from Divexxtreme, plus 1 for him ...i checked my lifters....especial because my lifters was made under warranty 2003 and the gt2 have had around 30000km bone stock....(the issue was a stick lifter and broken valve)

now 35000km later i checked my lifters again, because i have the old version of lifters......and found they are again out of order....now i am in a good position because i found it out before a catastrophic engine failure comes down on me out of warranty....

yes porsche made a new version...and at the end of september i hope is repaired with this new lifters

Old 09-05-2011, 10:57 AM
pumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond repute
and why did you drop the engine in the first place?

Old 09-05-2011, 02:12 PM
winnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by pumalex
and why did you drop the engine in the first place?
dont know exactly what you mean?

first issue under warranty ...lifter failure under warranty with stock gt2 engine...
(before i had a brand new 996tt 2002 with problems)

now lifter failure again...no problem for me after 8 years my first failure at this engine i have to pay...time to do some new mods

i discussed it those failure....this is a common problem not only on a turbo engine

Last edited by winnigt2; 09-05-2011 at 02:25 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:58 PM
pumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond repute
ok so what were the sympton that led you to beleive you had bad lifters?

Old 09-06-2011, 01:37 AM
Originally Posted by pumalex
ok so what were the sympton that led you to beleive you had bad lifters?
it is simple you can hear it at cold engine first time...if it warms up it goes away and the ims noise comes up ....same loudness ....only a little different...ims noise is warm engine under 1000rpm....lifter noise is on cold start over 1000rpm till 1400rpm....(of course many variations are possible)

no ecu failurecode, perfect idle because you use the small vario shift camshaft profile...

check your oilfilter very good ....in a later stadium you find sometimes a small nuget....it is a slow dead...

to all read this....take it easy...not everyone would have this failure...and if you have it like me,16 ours labor..1600Euro for all lifters...and it is again a new engine (except camshaft housing is gone...)

Last edited by winnigt2; 09-07-2011 at 05:44 AM.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:14 AM
engine pulled out..monday check the valve lifters

Attached Images    
Old 09-25-2011, 10:35 AM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by winnigt2
engine pulled out..monday check the valve lifters
Why would you have the auxiliary chain tensioners on a motor to take it apart?

Old 09-25-2011, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by Tim941NYC
Why would you have the auxiliary chain tensioners on a motor to take it apart?
like to turn the engine to take a look at valve train

Old 09-26-2011, 04:28 AM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
I also, but leave the factory adjusters in. I check the timing too all motors I have touched have been off.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:52 AM
dragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond repute
So new lifters are about 2k to replace then? Not including labor of course. And being a mechanical newbie, I would assume to replace the lifters would mean dropping the engine? That sucks since I will probably eventually have to replace them since I have a sticky lifter at cold start.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:02 AM
SAVED4IT will become famous soon enough
I just did the same job. Symptoms were misfires on bank 1 (primarily cylinder 3) upon acceleration. CEL flashing. Replaced all 12 intake lifters.

While the engine was out I chose to replace anything that needed updating or looked worn.

I also bought a set of coolant pipe fittings a machinist makes and got them tig-welded to the coolant block, so that I don't ever have to worry about those coolant pipes coming out from the heat cycles on the epoxy wearing. We even welded the 2 J-shaped pieces.

Also had a weird oil-pressure issue where I'd be driving smoothly and get a weird blip in the oil pressure. Wasn't the sender, was the lame rubber piping that connected to the sender. It was kinked and a twisted badly! Surely oil was coming erratically to the sending unit resulting in blips as it temporarily got around the kinks. The new part number is WAY more reinforced to prevent this from happening in the future.

Old 10-03-2011, 03:52 AM
update…

engine had to be divided completely

there damage to oil pumps by metal particles

found following problem my oil pump thus had some stiffness and the gears looked like something went through it some time, secondary oil-pump right side damaged, intake camshaft damaged, 1 camhousing damaged

crank, rods, piston in best conditions are the good news

so carillos will found a new home and a lot to pay..

think about to do a 3,8liter conversion, but don`t know if it is a good idea

Last edited by winnigt2; 10-30-2011 at 03:13 AM. Reason: update
Old 10-30-2011, 03:35 AM
update: engine runs again top, lifters was worn out a little and must replaced as many other parts.

reason for metal particles was a half broken timing chain...dont stress you to much with lifters...check your oilfilter and if its clean (no metal particles in it) you can be lucky

at the time i realy dont know if the noise was a def lifter ore the half broken timing chain...but i guess it was the timing chain

at least it only trust me that i had found it early enough

Old 10-30-2011, 06:02 PM
RennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of lightRennFab is a glorious beacon of light
What's the deal with these lifters failing anyways? I've heard of the variocam lifters collapsing a bit and making noise(subsequent for replacement there anyway) but not failing completely as to cause a complete engine failure.

Have they been coming apart under load, or adding undue shock load to the timing chains causing a plate failure in the chain links?

Old 10-31-2011, 08:51 AM
Originally Posted by RennFab
What's the deal with these lifters failing anyways? I've heard of the variocam lifters collapsing a bit and making noise(subsequent for replacement there anyway) but not failing completely as to cause a complete engine failure.

Have they been coming apart under load, or adding undue shock load to the timing chains causing a plate failure in the chain links?
for my understanding many variations possible....high rev limit and the lifters may fall apart with a engine failure

next it only worn out on top ore have a ticking noise but not realy danger (old versions)

in my case one chain had a plate failure and the metal particles destroy many parts of my engine ..lifters was worn out on top side you can see and feel wear

only one chain on right side have a failure...left chain was okay..