996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Considering tinting my windows, few questions

Old 09-25-2011, 11:10 PM
tphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of light
Considering tinting my windows, few questions

I've been trying to decide whether or not to tint my windows for a while now. Looked at some threads related to tints before I posted.

In sunny FL the sun COOKS your arms and neck during the day, and other than that and perhaps more important is to avoid every other person in an Altima with HID's and rims that wants to race you, or an 89' civic hatchback that fishtails you or just plainly looks at you until he gets your attention.

I understand it's common to tint all the side windows and the rear window. About the rear window, in our cars there is not really much room to work there and it's plain difficult to get into the back and impossible to sit there, how can someone install a tint there?
And if one day I decide I want them off for some reason, or they get damaged/dry etc... Do they damage the actual window? Or leave stains or chemicals on them that can't be taken off?

If someone has experience with tinting down in S.FL I'll be happy to get a recommendation to a specific shop. I also want to get tints for my Lexus front windows, to match the factory darkened rear windows.

Thanks

Old 09-26-2011, 02:55 AM
gearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond repute
They can easily tint the back window. But take it to the best shop you can find, it's not the defrost lines that are the issue it's all the little black dots that are around all the edges of the rear glass and the sides of the door glass that is the hardest for shops to get into and fill the gaps between the dots. Make sure the shop as well as some guarantee that the tint won't change color over time or start to bubble.
They also can remove the tint fairly easily. Its just a film, it's the residual glue that can be an issue but they have a chemical for that.
I love my tint.

Old 09-26-2011, 03:51 AM
Banned
Sql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to behold
My side back windows and the rear window are tinted, i like the look, especially on black car:

Old 09-26-2011, 07:00 AM
6spdg37s is a jewel in the rough6spdg37s is a jewel in the rough6spdg37s is a jewel in the rough
I would do it !!!! FL is cool cause you can get dark tints and generally not be bothered by cops . In NJ it depends on where you are and what your driving... e.g. civic . your gonna be stopped all the time... s600 your good.

I have them though because I get really bad headaches (light sensitive eyes) plus lots of family members are law enforcement so I dont worry about it too much but I dont get stopped for them either so its a non-issue

Old 09-26-2011, 10:20 AM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by 6spdg37s
I would do it !!!! FL is cool cause you can get dark tints and generally not be bothered by cops . In NJ it depends on where you are and what your driving... e.g. civic . your gonna be stopped all the time... s600 your good.

I have them though because I get really bad headaches (light sensitive eyes) plus lots of family members are law enforcement so I dont worry about it too much but I dont get stopped for them either so its a non-issue
You could probably get a prescription from your doctor that you keep in the car. That is what I have.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:01 AM
6spdg37s is a jewel in the rough6spdg37s is a jewel in the rough6spdg37s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Nikolas
You could probably get a prescription from your doctor that you keep in the car. That is what I have.
yeah I learned about that after like 5 years of having tints

Thats what I have now. its weird tho as soon as you show a cop they immediatly ask you to see your skin cancer...

im like umm I get serious headaches and their light sensitive so sunshine hurts...

and there like ohhhhh|?

Old 09-26-2011, 11:31 AM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 6spdg37s
I would do it !!!! FL is cool cause you can get dark tints and generally not be bothered by cops .
Fl will pull you over too, were anything but cool

Old 09-26-2011, 11:45 AM
cannon1000 is on a distinguished road
One thing to think about - are you keeping the car cool or doing it for the darker look or both?

THe reason I say this is the new ceramic tinting is not nearly as dark - but can lower the temperatures as good or better than "tinting".

Be careful of dark tinting on the side windows - at night (and night w/rain) it can get difficult to see out of...and you might find yourself lowering the window to look out.

(Florida Native).

Old 09-26-2011, 04:46 PM
boca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really nice
I say tint all the windows... my car is tinted on all windows, even a band on the upper windshield.. I was going to have the entire windshield done in a light tint to help with sun glare, but I was pressed for time and didnt want to wait around.. car looks better tinted.. and in Florida... it helps big time with the heat

Old 09-29-2011, 09:30 PM
porscheforfun will become famous soon enough
Have someone do it if you dont have experience with tint. There a few tricks of the trade. Some use baby powder others use some and water or the solution that they sell for it. As far as removal they sell a chemical to remove also a glad trash bag and soapy water sprayed on the inside removes tint

Old 09-29-2011, 10:40 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Since you're not suppose to tint your front side windows in California, many shops recommend tinting the rears a little darker than the fronts to provide that contrast (so it doesn't look so obvious that the front windows are tinted).

Old 09-29-2011, 11:39 PM
tphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of lighttphss is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks for all the feedback.
I'll go check some tint shops here tomorrow see what they offer and I'll update.
I don't want to risk it and do it with someone who never worked on a 911. Maybe I'll even go to the dealer and see what they can offer (it's usually warranted).

Old 09-29-2011, 11:44 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Tint them. Beside cutting down on the glare, it greatly reduces UVA and UVB rays that cause heat and damage your interior. I never have to use my visor to the side. My first tint job was in 95 when they pulled all the glass out of the car and baked the tint on. Expensive but bullet proof. The new tints are much more durable and easier to apply. No need to remove glass and they can get all the way to the edges. The only issue with the rear window is the "dots" around the edges. The tint will stick to the dots but not look the same. The solution is a bit more expensive. Have the back window removed and the dots shaved off. Some shops can also shave the dots off with the window still in the car.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:52 PM
Originally Posted by Duane996tt
The solution is a bit more expensive. Have the back window removed and the dots shaved off. Some shops can also shave the dots off with the window still in the car.
I really rather not touch an original Porsche installed window from the production line, and let someone random shave the window and put it back on. Did you have to do it on yours?

Worst case I will tint only the sides and just get it over with, that's what bothers me most anyway.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:58 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Like cannon said above, get the ceramic tint. I just did it to my benz and it is unbelievable how much cooler it is. Not in FL, but a mile closer to the sun in CO. My P-car is tinted as well.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Considering tinting my windows, few questions