996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Flat out safety

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 10:03 AM
H8T WP will become famous soon enough
Where was my call ? lol i would of joined you

Old 10-18-2011, 10:28 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Terminator
Problem is I did it quite often-ish. Less so now. I usually stop at 170mph as I don't see much point taking it to max speed. Yeah is great fun but you need to be responsible as far as other cars are concerned. I only do it when the road is clear. But again as there is no drama in our cars I wonder what can catch you out? For an example can newish tyre fail? If it does do you stand a chance. If you hit a rabbit, is this enough to send you in a spin? If you hit a road bump will car fly off or behave same as at 150mph and regain ground? Interesting questions a? Who has been there done that and and has the t-shirt to prove it?

Yeah, I've done it too, in less stable cars in and out of traffic. Really stupid stuff I might say. Ever since I've been driving on the track on a regular basis, I have zero desire to go fast on the street.

I've had my TT up to 170 on the track (Road Atlanta) and 180 on the road. What you are referring to is things that if you encounter them will surely test your skill to correct at those speeds, or make you passenger altogether. Our cars (especially in AWD) are pretty safe at really high speeds. The obvious things like a blown tire or fluid on the road could get you, but on the highway, all it takes is someone not seeing you and entering your lane causing you to jerk the wheel to avoid them (if it's too late to stop). Or a coolant hose blowing (which seems to be a growing problem).

Those seem to be the biggest threats to safety at those speeds.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:03 PM
muker is a jewel in the roughmuker is a jewel in the roughmuker is a jewel in the roughmuker is a jewel in the rough
I remember reading that the Veyron's tires only last ~10 minutes if you are going at the max ~300mph speed. I have to imagine that your street tires, no matter what brand, are not made to go 200mph for a sustained period of time. A couple minutes maybe but after that you are asking for trouble.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:58 PM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by muker
I remember reading that the Veyron's tires only last ~10 minutes if you are going at the max ~300mph speed. I have to imagine that your street tires, no matter what brand, are not made to go 200mph for a sustained period of time. A couple minutes maybe but after that you are asking for trouble.
In Veyron you don't have a problem. Tyres are good for 15 minutes at 253mph (268mph for supersport), which is its top speed not 300mph but the good news is you will run out of fuel in 12 minutes. So no problem really!

Last edited by Terminator; 10-19-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:07 PM
muker is a jewel in the roughmuker is a jewel in the roughmuker is a jewel in the roughmuker is a jewel in the rough
I admit I was too lazy to look for the stat. I guess the question is, can you help us find out how many minutes will it take for your tires to disintegrate at 327 KPH?