996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

rear tires inner treads gone..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 05:29 PM
boca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really nice
rear tires inner treads gone..

I had another post regarding rear tires needed for my 996tt... what is needed to prevent the inner tires from getting so worn out? I have seen rear adjustable control arms.. and rear adjustable toe links.... are both needed or can I get buy with just the adjustable control arms? I want to get the proper suspension pieces so I get the alignment done correctly... going thru rear tires in 4000 miles is not cheap thank you

Old 10-22-2011, 05:35 PM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
U will also need toe links to get proper toe on rear. Uppers are needed to get rid of too much neg camber since you are very low.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:51 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
In addition to dog bones and rear adjustable toe steer link (as stated above), you'll need sway bar drop links as yours are most likely too short and binding.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:33 PM
bad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond reputebad107 has a reputation beyond repute
you should be able to lower your car just fine with coilovers...

yes, if you want to go SUPERLOW, you will have issues, but with just coilovers you should be fine. You need to get an alignment that does not have as much camber. Check out the euro gt2 settings.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:45 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Even with stock suspension, it's my understanding that the inner rears are the first to go. In fact, it's the right inner rear to be precise.

Old 10-23-2011, 12:50 AM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bad107
you should be able to lower your car just fine with coilovers...

yes, if you want to go SUPERLOW, you will have issues, but with just coilovers you should be fine. You need to get an alignment that does not have as much camber. Check out the euro gt2 settings.

He can lower his car using just the other stock suspension components with a few caveats.
  • Don’t expect GT-2 ride height. As you lower the car negative camber and toe in increase. Camber adjustment move inversely with toe in. Less negative camber gets you more toe in and visa versa.
  • Stick with factory width wheel and tire widths. Wider wheel and tires (315x25x19r) only exacerbate the problem.
Since it looks like his car is all the way down on the coil overs and he’s running 315x25x19r he either lifts the car a bit and goes back to factory widths wheels and tires or installed the other suspension components noted. I’m not trying to belabor the point but there is no cheap fix.

The right inner rear does wear faster due to the torque bais and lack of LSD.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:21 AM
boca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really nice
thanks guys, it seems like there are many different answers... my car is already lowered on PSS9 .. dont know anything about sway bar drop links... only issue I am having is the inner edge of my tires go real quick, and yes the passenger side is worse then the drivers side... thank you all for your replies

Old 10-23-2011, 07:52 AM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
The rear camber can be adjusted on the concentric bolts for the control arms. They are normally very difficult to turn as they almost never get turned from new, It is possible to reduce neg cam from factory to just under 1deg . This will make a huge difference with tyre ware.The only down side to that is a very small amount of traction loss on fast bends. But unless your track orientated you wont notice too much. What you will notice is the car will in fact have a little bit more straight line traction especially doing hard 1st gear drag style starts.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:33 AM
sunnyside I dont go to the track at all... and not many turns here in florida.. most straight driving...

Old 10-23-2011, 09:29 AM
Alcav5 is a jewel in the roughAlcav5 is a jewel in the roughAlcav5 is a jewel in the rough
For the first time last spring I noticed the same wear. As opposed to putting Michelians on (due to high price) I bought Hankooks - I'm thinking I notice a bit of difference during my daily driving but since I do not aggressively drive or track I think they ok. I will now look for the wear to appear again since I did not change or adjust anything (car is totally stock). I was told all of the settings (camber et al) were such that the car was designed to be tracked or driven harder than I do. If I have to do Hankooks every 4,000 miles I think I'll be ok with that rather than mess around the settings. Besides I do not know of a respected porsche tuner or indie shop near me.

A

Old 10-23-2011, 09:34 AM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by boca996tt
sunnyside I dont go to the track at all... and not many turns here in florida.. most straight driving...
So have you attempted to dial out some neg camber, I have PSS10's and will be running 1Deg neg cam on the rears for exactly the reason you have. ie tyre ware on the inner edges.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:02 AM
dwdwdwwd is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Aerodude
Even with stock suspension, it's my understanding that the inner rears are the first to go. In fact, it's the right inner rear to be precise.
Wait. Why the right one?

Old 10-23-2011, 10:26 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Minimal TOE is much more important than camber when it comes to inner tire wear. I run -2.1 rear camber (with -2.0 front) along with 1/32" rear toe per side (1/16" total) and my rears wear very even across. When I ran factory spec toe with even less camber my inners wore pretty quickly. The sure sign that you have too much rear toe is the inner 1" of the tire wearing fast. With too much camber the tire will still wear uneven to a certain degree but over a much wider portion of the tire tread.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:49 AM
Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
Minimal TOE is much more important than camber when it comes to inner tire wear. I run -2.1 rear camber (with -2.0 front) along with 1/32" rear toe per side (1/16" total) and my rears wear very even across. When I ran factory spec toe with even less camber my inners wore pretty quickly. The sure sign that you have too much rear toe is the inner 1" of the tire wearing fast. With too much camber the tire will still wear uneven to a certain degree but over a much wider portion of the tire tread.
I'm running basically the same rear alignment as pwdrhound and my tires wear pretty evenly in the rear as well.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:04 AM
a few years ago, I recall a shop telling me that the car should be aligned with a near empty fuel tank.. as per porsche... has anyone else heard this? is this correct?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: rear tires inner treads gone..