996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

6speedonline's official 1/4 Mile, 60-130, 100-150 and Standing Mile thread

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-26-2016, 10:26 AM
PencilGeek is a jewel in the roughPencilGeek is a jewel in the roughPencilGeek is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by mayoof
I managed 60-130mph in 5.868 and 100-200kph in 5.072 in my 997.2 TTS pdk ESmotor tuned FBO. Waiting for mike to verify the results.

New world record?

Thread: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...997-2-tts.html
Nice job. It's been over a month and no update or verification? Got to be honest, the vboxtools.com software IS your verification. I want to say thanks to you, and to all the people who have now submitted more than 10000 individual files for verification. I wrote the software to take the human error of "verification" out of the equation. Judging from the 10000+ files that have been submitted, and the fact that a thread like this seemed to die almost immediately after I wrote the software, I'd say the idea worked in ways I never anticipated.

I'm currently putting the finishing touches on the vBoxDyno dyno software. I should be done in about the next two weeks. The algorithms have been done for 6+ months, but I never finished the user interface. Well, I've started working on that recently and it should be launched in the next few weeks. So save all those vBox files and get ready to resubmit them to the new vBox Dyno site if care to see how much power your car made on your vBox runs.

Here's a teaser of what you'll get with the vBox Dyno (note: the "Results" section isn't done yet either; I'll fix that soon.):

Last edited by PencilGeek; 02-26-2016 at 10:46 AM.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:20 AM
LostMarine Is a GOD !LostMarine Is a GOD !LostMarine Is a GOD !LostMarine Is a GOD !LostMarine Is a GOD !LostMarine Is a GOD !LostMarine Is a GOD !LostMarine Is a GOD !LostMarine Is a GOD !LostMarine Is a GOD !LostMarine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PencilGeek
Nice job. It's been over a month and no update or verification? Got to be honest, the vboxtools.com software IS your verification. I want to say thanks to you, and to all the people who have now submitted more than 10000 individual files for verification. I wrote the software to take the human error of "verification" out of the equation. Judging from the 10000+ files that have been submitted, and the fact that a thread like this seemed to die almost immediately after I wrote the software, I'd say the idea worked in ways I never anticipated.

I'm currently putting the finishing touches on the vBoxDyno dyno software. I should be done in about the next two weeks. The algorithms have been done for 6+ months, but I never finished the user interface. Well, I've started working on that recently and it should be launched in the next few weeks. So save all those vBox files and get ready to resubmit them to the new vBox Dyno site if care to see how much power your car made on your vBox runs.

Here's a teaser of what you'll get with the vBox Dyno (note: the "Results" section isn't done yet either; I'll fix that soon.):

Well, Its not a secret that You and I disagree/'d on many things over the years.. However, the vboxtools s/w is probably the most useful and one of the most beneficial programs written in recent years.
I love it, every person that uses the vbox I know loves it. From one enthusiast to another, thank you for time and dedication to bring it to fruition.

Old 02-26-2016, 12:37 PM
PencilGeek is a jewel in the roughPencilGeek is a jewel in the roughPencilGeek is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by LostMarine
Well, Its not a secret that You and I disagree/'d on many things over the years.. However, the vboxtools s/w is probably the most useful and one of the most beneficial programs written in recent years.
I love it, every person that uses the vbox I know loves it. From one enthusiast to another, thank you for time and dedication to bring it to fruition.
Thanks a lot LM, that means a lot to me. I hadn't heard from you in a while, so I'm glad you are safe and on terra firma in the USA. If you ever end up on the left coast, let me know and I'll take you out to a nice dinner.

The one thing I can't figure out is why people submit the same file over and over again. They sometimes submit the same file ten or more times, and sometimes months apart. I've got some ideas, like people passing files around and saying "hey, go submit this file to this web site and see what you get." But I really don't know why they do this. I cache the results so when people submit the same file over and over, they will always get the previous results. I hope I'm not missing something here. So if anybody reading this can tell me why you repeatedly submit the same file, I'd like to know to make sure I'm not doing something wrong on my end. Or maybe it's site moderators using the program to verify the files they receive and not admitting they use the program.

If I didn't cache the results, those 10000 files submitted would probably appear like 30000 or 40000 files submitted. There's so many files submitted that I don't even bother to look at any of them any longer. Sometimes I'll get 50+ files a day. Since Feb-01, vboxtools.com has received 294 unique file submissions. That's not counting the perfdb.com and perfdb.org sites either. So you can see there's some pretty good volume there.

Anyways, when I finish the vBox Dyno, maybe I'll start a new thread and see if we can bring some life back to this topic.

Last edited by PencilGeek; 02-26-2016 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-26-2016, 02:00 PM
LostMarine Is a GOD !LostMarine Is a GOD !LostMarine Is a GOD !LostMarine Is a GOD !LostMarine Is a GOD !LostMarine Is a GOD !LostMarine Is a GOD !LostMarine Is a GOD !LostMarine Is a GOD !LostMarine Is a GOD !LostMarine Is a GOD !
I think it could just be that they upload the wrong file some time after, or that they want to see/use the graph again. I know Ive done it when I didnt save the original and want to share/post it at a later date.

Old 02-29-2016, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by LostMarine
I think it could just be that they upload the wrong file some time after, or that they want to see/use the graph again. I know Ive done it when I didnt save the original and want to share/post it at a later date.
OK, that makes sense. Hopefully I'll get the vBox Dyno up soon. I was working on it this weekend.

Old 03-24-2016, 02:31 PM
Man this thread is dead, so let's see if we can liven it up.

I put the 98+ percent finishing touches on the vBoxDyno site. It calculates your car's horsepower based on your vBox files. It's fully operational, fully functional. There's a few things behind the scenes I want to change that won't affect anybody. And I'm working on a HowTo video to show people how to use the site. It's actually quite simple.

Here's what the vBoxDyno does:
  • Calculates whp based on vehicle acceleration
  • Includes whp losses due to aerodynamics
  • Includes whp losses/gains due to weather
  • Includes whp losses/gains due to headwind/tailwind
  • Includes whp losses/gains due to road slope (incline/decline)
  • Includes whp losses due to wheel inertia
  • Includes whp losses due to road friction

The site is very easy to use:
  • If you use all the default values, everything will work but your power will be underrated by 10% - 20%.
  • The most important things you need are vehicle weight, frontal area, drag coefficient, and tire sizes. Don't leave these at the default values. Don't put BS values in here thinking you'll get higher horsepower. Most often, BS values will hurt the horsepower. So try to be real and use real values.
  • The next most important things are road conditions, and wheel/tire weights. If you don't know wheel/tire weights, leave them at the defaults. You can usually look up these values at the wheel and tire manufacturer sites. Leave the default values if it's too much hassle.
  • The next most important thing is the road conditions.
  • The least important thing is the weather. When you choose "Uncorrected" results, the weather data is not used.
  • First time you use the site, use the database lookup feature. The database lookup feature is tied into the edmunds.com vehicle database and will automatically provide vehicle weight, frontal area, drag coefficient, and tire sizes. Sometimes it doesn't have one of these values. Try to look them up if it doesn't.
  • If your car isn't in the database, don't be alarmed. Input it manually, and use one of the web site links I've provided to look up the data. Edmunds typically only has cars available in the American market.
  • Somehow, a guy from Britain started using the web site a few days ago and I never told anybody the web site address. I don't know how he found it and started using it...but it was pretty fun. He was uploading files and inputting European cars. I was trying to update the database as fast as he was sending the files with updated vehicle weight data, etc.
  • The bottom graph shows my car at the Mojave Mile in 2010. A few days prior, I dyno'd at 615 whp. The vBoxDyno calculated 630whp on that 182 MPH standing mile run. I'd say that's pretty good correlation from the Dynojet to the vBoxDyno.

vBoxDyno: http://www.vboxdyno.com

Here's a couple of graphs.

Richard Hammond's Jet Car from Top-Gear (run before he crashed).

My 182 MPH Mojave-Mile run in 2010

Last edited by PencilGeek; 03-24-2016 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-24-2016, 03:45 PM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
Hammond was on the throttle for roughly 1/2 mile?

Old 03-24-2016, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Hammond was on the throttle for roughly 1/2 mile?
Not quite sure what that means. It was a jet engine powered car.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:22 PM
I can see a bunch of people are starting to use the site. Here's some advice. I've noticed nobody updating the frontal area (Sq-Ft) of their car when the database lookup doesn't have this number. Using the default value of 20 Sq-Ft will result in lower calculated horsepower. So after you do the database lookup, look to see if the frontal area still says "20 Sq-Ft." If it does, use one of the links I provided to look up your car's frontal area. Or just Google it like "911 frontal area." So far I've always been able to find what I'm looking for.

So here's some values I've looked up for the people starting to use the site.

27.34 - 2012 Volkswagen Tiguan
22.07 - 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo AWD
21.10 - 2002 Porsche 911 Turbo AWD
23.57 - 2012 VW Golf
24.12 - 2011 Nissan GT-R
24.12 - 2012 Nissan GT-R

I've corrected all of these in the database. If your car is listed above, next time you use the database lookup option, the correct frontal area will be selected.

Last edited by PencilGeek; 03-24-2016 at 11:34 PM.
Old 03-25-2016, 11:59 AM
I can see people experimenting with the settings to see how it affects the output. I'm not sure I understand some of the experiments with 0.1 PSI tire pressure, and 4-pound wheels and tires, and saying your car weighs 700 pounds when it actually weighs 3200. So let me explain how these settings affect the output.

Vehicle weight:
Lighter = lower horsepower, heavier = higher horsepower. This is because it takes more power to push a heavier object than a lighter object.

Wheel/tire weight.
Similar to vehicle weight, lighter = lower horsepower, heavier = higher horsepower.

Tire pressure:
Lower pressure = higher friction = higher horsepower. Higher pressure = lower friction = lower horsepower.

Tire type:
Winter = lower friction, Summer = next higher friction, Performance = higher friction, Race = Highest friction. Lower friction = lower horsepower; higher friction = higher horsepower.

Road type:
Concrete = lower friction, Asphalt = medium friction, Rough asphalt = higher friction. Lower friction = lower horsepower; higher friction = higher horsepower.

For those of you using the software, please give me some feedback. I've seen some monster results uploaded from Porshe's and GT-R's. Do you guys really have 900 - 1100 WHP? You've got sub 5-second 60-130's, and 145 MPH 1/4 mile traps. So this might be correct. But I'd like to know because it tells me how close the software is getting to what your car is putting out. I know for my car, it was right on the money. So tell me about yours.

Here's an example run that looks pretty good to me:

Old 03-25-2016, 12:08 PM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
i gotta try this out, i have a few vbox files to play with. i'd say cars running 4s 60-130s are either very efficient or are over 900hp as a general statement. going to have some outliers i think but that should stand more or less true for Porsches and GTRs.

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 03-25-2016, 05:27 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
OK, I just plugged in my 7.29 60-130 from my CTS-V and compared it to my best pass at the track, which was this pass, and my last dyno session. I only changed the wheel weight (I do have lighter wheels) and I changed the fuel weight (only by 10lbs, but feel it's pretty close), and I put "performance tires" as I had DR's on. All other stuff, I left the default. ET from V-Box dyno is within a tenth of my slip, MPH is right on, within a couple hundredths. HP is another story. 1 spot says 642whp, another says 772whp, I made 671/631whp on a Super flow when I ran these numbers. All in all, I say pretty damn good job. Thanks for the effort put into this...cool tool...

Old 03-25-2016, 06:17 PM
Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !
Cool

Old 03-25-2016, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by ttboost
OK, I just plugged in my 7.29 60-130 from my CTS-V and compared it to my best pass at the track, which was this pass, and my last dyno session. I only changed the wheel weight (I do have lighter wheels) and I changed the fuel weight (only by 10lbs, but feel it's pretty close), and I put "performance tires" as I had DR's on. All other stuff, I left the default. ET from V-Box dyno is within a tenth of my slip, MPH is right on, within a couple hundredths. HP is another story. 1 spot says 642whp, another says 772whp, I made 671/631whp on a Super flow when I ran these numbers. All in all, I say pretty damn good job. Thanks for the effort put into this...cool tool...
I have a couple of questions:
1) Why was your vehicle weight about 300 pounds heavier than the CTS-V in the database? The database shows 4108 pounds for the CTS-V.
2) Were you at 30 PSI tire pressure? I know lots of drag strip guys will lower pressure. I just want to double check.

I re-ran your results with the following changes.
  1. I changed the vehicle weight to 4108 pounds. This will decrease your calculated power.
  2. I changed the tire type to "Performance" from "Racing." I'm not saying this is right, we're all experimenting here. :-) But I changed this because I'm wondering if full blown racing tires are even sticker than DR's. I honestly don't know the answer. This will decrease your calculated power.
  3. I increased the frontal area to 25.1 sq-ft. I looked this up, and it seems to be correct for the CTS, so I used it on the CTS-V. This will increase your calculated power.
  4. I didn't make any changes to tire pressure. But if I increase it, it will decrease your calculated power.

I ran with these changes and it decreased the horsepower by about 35-40 whp. So that's getting much closer to your Superflow dyno results I would think. The horsepower spike at the end of your run is pretty interesting. I'll dig into the data logs a little later and see if I can isolate the spike to one thing or a combination of things.

Thanks for giving your feedback. Here's another feature I haven't mentioned before that you might find useful. Now that you've entered your vehicle data, you can recall it and tweak it if you like. Here's how you do it. When you load the web page, use the very first pull-down menu and change it from "Search the vehicle database" to "Search by vehicle record ID." The record ID saved with your runs was 790064939. This was the number that appeared in the "Save as record ID" field when you first used the program. The program generates a random number, but you can type in anything you want here; anything from your cell phone number to your email address. Then the next time you use the program, just use the search feature using that same value and it will pull up the same data.

If you enter this number (790064939) and click the search button, the vBoxDyno will pull up all of your data just as you originally entered it. (I'll be explaining all of this in the HowTo video.) From there, you can tweak the input data and submit the file again to get a new set of results.

Old 03-25-2016, 06:52 PM
Here's an example from a friend's car. He's got a stroked, supercharged, 4.4L (or 4.5L?) BMW M3. I know he dyno'd right around 735 whp on a Dynojet. He currently holds the E92 BMW M3 record for 60-130 MPH @ 5.95 seconds. Here's his vBoxDyno results from that record setting run. The vBoxDyno shows a peak of 736 whp, then drop to 650 whp at the gear shift before peaking at 700 whp at the end of the run.

NOTE: I just ran this file through the vBoxDyno for the first time. I knew his dyno results and I knew I had his vBox file. So I was curious what the vBoxDyno would show, and it's pretty darn close.

Last edited by PencilGeek; 03-25-2016 at 06:56 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 6speedonline's official 1/4 Mile, 60-130, 100-150 and Standing Mile thread