996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

What does it take to get to 200 mph top speed in a 996 Twin Turbo?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 10:42 AM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
ouch.. I have a feeling Mike is not giving up.

Originally Posted by ttboost
Hmmmm...ask mbailey..

(Sorry Mike...I had too...)

Old 11-10-2011, 11:50 AM
AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !AtomicZ Is a GOD !
Gearing...Vette gearing blows...
Originally Posted by bmoores
PM AtomicZ about this. He can tell you all about Vette gearing. I'm fairly certain he has aftermarket gearing in his Z06 that is the fastest or one of the fastest N/A Z06's at the mile.
Stock 5th and 6th sucks in the vettes.

Stock 4th gear is 1:1 5th is .73 and 6th is .50. Z06 pulls hard all the way to redline in 4th - you shift to 5th and game over.

Top speed in the Z06 is obtained in 5th gear. Redlines about 205. 6th gear is just for gas mileage so GM could avoid the gas guzzler tax.

Running the TX Mile with stock gears is a waste of time. Once you get into 5th gear you're done. I switched out my 5th and 6th to .82 & .7. Now the car pulls hard all the way through. I am able to run close to 195 mph in the mile with only 550-570 whp. I believe I am the fastest NA no power adder Z06 still running the LS7. Not sure exactly how much HP will get the Z06 to 200 mph with my new gears but I am pretty sure it will be well over 700 whp with stock gears.

Old 11-10-2011, 01:32 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Hmmmm...ask mbailey..

(Sorry Mike...I had too...)
HA Ha ha... You smart***

But you do give me an opportunity to speak to this...

A28s will undoubtedly get a 996TT to 200 mph in a mile. It has not happened yet because the car and conditions must be optimized. Ie When conditions were good I lacked adequate supporting mods. Once I had the supporting mods, I got evicted for inadequate safety mods. The time I got 199.7 mph the car broke. The last few times conditions were not conducive.

I do not like the new Beeville venue for the mile. The runway faces almost due south. This ensures a headwind greater than 90% of the time. The runway in Berclair faced almost due east which gave a partial cross wind most of the time.
The A28 turbo will give 650-700 whp with maximal supporting mods and tuning. This is enough to hit 200mph in the mile under most (but not all) conditions. Ie last time I think it would have been a struggle with 750whp with that 15-25mph direct headwind...

Old 11-10-2011, 05:02 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
And I am going to try at least one more time!! LOL!

Old 11-10-2011, 05:36 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
yeah right....ONE more time...

Old 11-11-2011, 07:30 AM
mikegr is on a distinguished road
it seems to me that the car with the best hp/top speed ratio is the M6 which can reach 205mph with 500 hp

Old 11-11-2011, 07:57 AM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mikegr
it seems to me that the car with the best hp/top speed ratio is the M6 which can reach 205mph with 500 hp
Has a stock M6 run the Texas Mile ?? and if it did,has the M6 gone to 205 mph?

I don't think so.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:57 AM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
A stock M6 would struggle to do much more than 165 at the mile.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:57 AM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Tim941NYC
Tire height changes gearing. The tire grow at those speeds also. Neither of those will show on your speedo unless it was calibrated for the taller tires.
Agreed. But I don't understand what in my post are you disputing?

Old 11-11-2011, 11:01 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Terminator
Agreed. But I don't understand what in my post are you disputing?
I think he is just stating a fact.......

Old 11-11-2011, 12:24 PM
Etahgnimusnoc will become famous soon enough

Also not to go too far off track (again) but did anyone see the what should i buy thread... M6 or GT3???

><

Old 11-11-2011, 01:06 PM
FlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant futureFlyingGuy has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by MBailey
HA Ha ha... You smart***

But you do give me an opportunity to speak to this...

A28s will undoubtedly get a 996TT to 200 mph in a mile. It has not happened yet because the car and conditions must be optimized. Ie When conditions were good I lacked adequate supporting mods. Once I had the supporting mods, I got evicted for inadequate safety mods. The time I got 199.7 mph the car broke. The last few times conditions were not conducive.

I do not like the new Beeville venue for the mile. The runway faces almost due south. This ensures a headwind greater than 90% of the time. The runway in Berclair faced almost due east which gave a partial cross wind most of the time.
The A28 turbo will give 650-700 whp with maximal supporting mods and tuning. This is enough to hit 200mph in the mile under most (but not all) conditions. Ie last time I think it would have been a struggle with 750whp with that 15-25mph direct headwind...
maximal supporting mods, favorable conditions... PLUS light weight mods? or would you suppose a stock weight Turbo could get the job done?

Old 11-11-2011, 02:08 PM
mikegr is on a distinguished road
yes but can make 200 on autobahn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2Fjp...eature=related

Old 11-11-2011, 02:12 PM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mikegr
You asked if an M6 had ran the mile, I was just answering your question. The number of cars that can hit 200mph on the Autobahn is greater than the IQ of half the people who have posted in this thread.

Old 11-11-2011, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by FlyingGuy
maximal supporting mods, favorable conditions... PLUS light weight mods? or would you suppose a stock weight Turbo could get the job done?
Yes, you need all of the above. IMO, weight is the least important factor of the three. A stock weight turbo could do it with 650 whp on the right day. The trick in my mind is to do it without building the engine. Eric and Ben both did it on a stock block. Eric with GT30s and Ben with 20gs. I hope to do it with an A28...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What does it take to get to 200 mph top speed in a 996 Twin Turbo?