996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

100 cell vs straight pipes??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 11:47 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gearhead
I did have no cats on a gutted stock system. I cut it open and removed all four cats and welded it up. You won't have any issues with a 996tt.
Ditto. No cats here with a SpeedTech 3" X-flow system. The cross-flow design takes nearly all of the drone/obnoxious noise out of the exhaust. It's only loud at WOT when I want it. Cruising is beautiful - perfect melody. Ditch the cats.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:00 PM
TurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond repute
Add me to the catless bunch. I love the sound of the 3" X flow catless.
Just burn race gas and it smells wonderful

Ohio guys, alls you have to do is get collector plates and you dont have to emission test ever.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:48 PM
gearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond repute
Mikegr yes my car has an epl stage 2 flash. If you don't have a flash or o2 bung extenders you will get a cel. But the car will run fine and won't go into limp mode. As well I hear the o2 extenders work for awhile and then a cel will come up causing you to clear it periodically.
Plus a flash is by far the best bang for the buck.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:22 PM
ebspeed is on a distinguished road
Cats will straighten the airflow coming out of the turbo, especially due to their proximity to the turbine on these cars. Doesn't necessarily mean a lack of flow, but you can definitely hear a not cat system spool vs a cat'd system. Keeping the air spinning is never a bad thing. I will go catless for sure when it comes time to put a system on my car.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:04 PM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
I had a catless 2.75" cross system and would roll up windows at light due to the smell. Not as bad as my straight pipe adventure- that was just stupid.

My pick would be 3" cross with high flow 100 cats.

But the spool sound with straights was incredible!

Old 03-07-2012, 05:11 AM
rhargy is on a distinguished road
I am running the FVD race pipes (straight, no cats) for 95% track work and would offer you the following.

Would NOT recommend it for primarily street use.
Cold start very loud and obnoxious
Heavy drone at 1500-3500 revs
Throws CEL's for rear O2 sensor when running on the street (not when on the track)

Having said all that I LOVE the set up for the track. The noise actually helped the driving as another input, and the weight off the rear really brought it to life.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:21 AM
m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !m3ntal Is a GOD !
I'm on a cat less fabspeed gen 1. Smell is not noticeable. The sound was barely louder after I went cat less. No check engine lights. My vote is catless.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:00 PM
BOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to behold
I did the 100 cell cats, but w/o an X-pipe or muffler. It is LOUD! The only reason I have the cats is to quiet it down a bit. I have an X-pipe in my garage, but my exhaust guy said "It does not make sense to put an X-pipe on a turboed car because there is no pulse from side to side, and the exhaust will flow better w/o all the extra bends".

I may still add the X-pipe though, because I would like to tone down the noise a bit more. It's confusing because I have heard the X-pipe can help and hurt HP??? I guess it's the system as a whole that makes the difference.

I have never had issues with the smell on my other turboed cars w/o any cats. That would not be an issue, I'm guessing. Sound and air-flow should be the determining factors IMHO. If you don't mind the noise, go catless is my vote. Your tune should be able to delete any CEL issues.

Last edited by BOOSTTT; 03-09-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:15 PM
BOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TurboTodd
Add me to the catless bunch. I love the sound of the 3" X flow catless.
Just burn race gas and it smells wonderful

Ohio guys, alls you have to do is get collector plates and you dont have to emission test ever.

In Arizona, you will have to have collector car insurance, or live out of the main city's to avoid emissions tests. Grundy is a great ins co. I had a drugged up woman force me off the road once and caused some damage to another car I own, and Grundy had my full payment for repairs to me in 3 days....The police report was not even written yet. Grundy allows unlimited mileage as well!

Old 03-09-2012, 12:28 PM
Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !
I'm also rocking the fvd pipes and I do not have drone from 1500-3500 thats straight absurd! I have drone from 2200-2700ish that's it. While criusing the pipes sound great, cold morning start they are loud. Not for the faint of heart, not for people living in association equipped homes lol, not for people driving at 4 am. I love them.
I love hearing my turbos spool up and spool down like jet planes. Wife got use to it.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:43 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ek9max
No emissions up where I am.

100 cell will get rid of the smell?

If you go catless your car with have an exhaust smell like real cars used to. People forget what cars used to smell like so might freak out. If you don't have emission testing they go for it. You will have to get a flash to override the second set of O2 sensors.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:55 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gearhead
I did have no cats on a gutted stock system. I cut it open and removed all four cats and welded it up. You won't have any issues with a 996tt.
Still not yet installed on my own car, but thanks again for the great sale transaction. I look forward to being able to answer this question soon!

Old 03-09-2012, 09:13 PM
ek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud of
How much performance loss are we talking here about going to 100cell cats?

And sound wise do they quiet it down a lot? I went to listen to a 3" Xpipe exhaust today with no cats. It was pretty loud.....

Old 03-09-2012, 09:40 PM
Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !
What smell, I must be deaf and have no sense of smell. What are you guys smelling, I smell nada.
who in this thread actually has straight pipes???

Old 03-09-2012, 09:41 PM
Basic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by ek9max
How much performance loss are we talking here about going to 100cell cats?

And sound wise do they quiet it down a lot? I went to listen to a 3" Xpipe exhaust today with no cats. It was pretty loud.....
Also depends on what turbos you are running, when we ran I had the catless 3" xpipe race system with K24s

Since you had lots of time behind me during the run. You should have a great idea how it sounds

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 100 cell vs straight pipes??