996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

100 cell vs straight pipes??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 07:20 PM
ek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud of
100 cell vs straight pipes??

I'm getting a custom built Xpipe exhaust done for me right away here.

The questions is.... should I do 100 cell cats? or just go catless??

How much power would I be sacrificing going with 100 cell cats? I'm just worried about the car being so loud that I can't drive it....

Last edited by ek9max; 03-05-2012 at 07:26 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:42 PM
texeck is a jewel in the roughtexeck is a jewel in the roughtexeck is a jewel in the rough
No emission testing where you live?

Originally Posted by ek9max
I'm getting a custom built Xpipe exhaust done for me right away here.

The questions is.... should I do 100 cell cats? or just go catless??

How much power would I be sacrificing going with 100 cell cats? I'm just worried about the car being so loud that I can't drive it....

Old 03-05-2012, 08:30 PM
OhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to behold
I just had to make the same decision and went with cats. It wasn't worth a few HP to deal with and smell or emission testing. Guys on here have said you don't get the fuel smell on these cars, but I didn't want to take a chance.

Look how nice they look too.

Last edited by OhioC5; 03-05-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:26 PM
ek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud of
No emissions up where I am.

100 cell will get rid of the smell?

Old 03-05-2012, 09:50 PM
gearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond repute
Some say the car will have a sour gassy smell if your sitting at a light or in a garage without cats.
I can 100% agree with this if it's on an evo or sti.
The 996tt is fine though no problems in that area.

Last edited by gearhead; 03-06-2012 at 02:05 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:55 PM
awdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant future
I am going to take the cats out of FVD once i figure out my trans issue fwiw.....

My B5 s4 hs not had cats in it since 03 ish, That car does have a bit of a smell, but i do not daily either of them....

Old 03-05-2012, 10:30 PM
OhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to beholdOhioC5 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by gearhead
Some say the car with have a sour gassy smell if your sitting at a light or in a garage without cats.
I can 100% agree with this if it's on an evo or sti.
The 996tt is fine though no problems in that area.
I'm not sure I agree with your logic on this. Someone without cats needs to post.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:50 PM
Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !
Isn't that great, now if we did not have 6 months of winter, 9 months of gravel on roads and we still had a race track life would be extra grand!!!!!

Old 03-05-2012, 10:53 PM
Basic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant future
I have 3" xpipe with no cats, loud but not crazy. Doesnt smell at all, will be installing cats though to cut down on the noise and to save the world.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:55 PM
Basic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant futureBasic has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Engine Guy
Isn't that great, now if we did not have 6 months of winter, 9 months of gravel on roads and we still had a race track life would be extra grand!!!!!
Race City was ****, something much better is in the works.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:07 AM
gearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond repute
I did have no cats on a gutted stock system. I cut it open and removed all four cats and welded it up. You won't have any issues with a 996tt.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:53 AM
mikegr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by gearhead
I did have no cats on a gutted stock system. I cut it open and removed all four cats and welded it up. You won't have any issues with a 996tt.
Did you have an ECU flash done also?

Old 03-06-2012, 04:44 AM
Banned
MannschaftQ8 is a jewel in the roughMannschaftQ8 is a jewel in the roughMannschaftQ8 is a jewel in the rough
3" catless X-Pipe...Aggressive and not TOO LOUD

Old 03-06-2012, 07:47 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
HI,I hate to throw in this in But then there is a difference in flow depending on the over all cat size,bigger is better......Not to many people address this...There are articles about this from HJS,Europipe,Milltek and that tuner Kevin from UMW brings that up on his Rennlist posts....
Does the cat size,surface area, really make that big of a difference???You have to decide that,as you have to decide between the difference of 100 verse no cats..I personally dont like the smell when the car is started cold and ran until it is warmed up...To each his own....Good Luck..

Old 03-06-2012, 11:27 AM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
I have straight, Fabspeed cat less pipes for the track. It sounds like a bomb going off at cold start up. It is obnoxiously loud. NOT recommended AT ALL for driving around town. When I drive to the track and back, people on the street are visible startled when I drive by. I also used the pipes on my 24/18g car and they were nearly as loud as well on that car. But with my new GT35 turbos car, its simply ridiculous. I have to wear earplugs.

The videos posted by MannschaftQ8 showing the x-pipe without cats sound nothing like straight pipes. They sound great actually.

Last edited by BlackHorseTurbo; 03-06-2012 at 11:37 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 100 cell vs straight pipes??