996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

100 cell vs straight pipes??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 09:55 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ek9max
How much performance loss are we talking here about going to 100cell cats?

And sound wise do they quiet it down a lot? I went to listen to a 3" Xpipe exhaust today with no cats. It was pretty loud.....
It depends on your mods,bigger turbos will suffer more so..Also cat size/design will matter....

Old 03-09-2012, 10:44 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
And sound wise do they quiet it down a lot? I went to listen to a 3" Xpipe exhaust today with no cats. It was pretty loud.....
Yes, 100 cats will quiet it down a bit and change the nature of the sound a bit, too, but the muffler design is more important. If it's an overly loud muffler/system design to begin with, adding cats will only do so much. Listen for the tonal change from cats to no cats in the video below...

Our SpeedTech 3.0 X-Flow muffler design does a very good job of attenuating the sound, while retaining a full 3" flow and an agressive note at the same time. Without cats, our 3.0 sounds very raw and race-like, but it's not over the top loud. IMO, it's actually pretty nice mix - loud & raw, yet comfortable at the same time. But I wouldn't go flooring it by police :-)

I have a video comparing our 3.0 Loud with and without cats, so you can get an idea of the difference cats make and hear for yourself...

SpeedTech 3.0 Loud - 100 cell vs. catless video:

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 03-10-2012, 12:32 AM
ek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Basic
Also depends on what turbos you are running, when we ran I had the catless 3" xpipe race system with K24s

Since you had lots of time behind me during the run. You should have a great idea how it sounds
Haha! Nice shot Paul!

I couldn't really hear it over your loud stereo jammin Justin bieber

Last edited by ek9max; 04-09-2012 at 08:00 PM.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:33 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
I would do something without cats that you can add to later if you wanted. Does sound sick without but it may get old depending on you and how much you drive it. Oh and the cops.
Nice roads John, sounds great!

Old 03-10-2012, 06:31 AM
NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !
I had a 3" catless, mufflerless x-pipe on my car for the last 6 months. Was using it as a daily driver on a 25 mile bridge for a little while. It was crazy loud at startup, but once the engine is warm it was not loud at all.

Name:  ee3684c3.jpg
Views: 982
Size:  71.1 KB

The sound of the turbos in a tunnel was hair raising.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:41 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NOLA911
I had a 3" catless, mufflerless x-pipe on my car for the last 6 months. Was using it as a daily driver on a 25 mile bridge for a little while. It was crazy loud at startup, but once the engine is warm it was not loud at all.

The sound of the turbos in a tunnel was hair raising.
..Nice...That is the MagnaFlow X-chamber??..Did you have it made that way.....Good Job and I bet reasonable....

Old 03-10-2012, 10:46 AM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SamboTT
I would do something without cats that you can add to later if you wanted. Does sound sick without but it may get old depending on you and how much you drive it.
Sam,

For the sickest sound, we have a modular straight X-Pipe that allows the cats to be swapped with bypass pipes. It includes mirror polished tips, too...Here is a picture with 100 cell cats installed

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 03-11-2012, 03:29 AM
zooyorker has a brilliant futurezooyorker has a brilliant futurezooyorker has a brilliant futurezooyorker has a brilliant futurezooyorker has a brilliant futurezooyorker has a brilliant futurezooyorker has a brilliant futurezooyorker has a brilliant futurezooyorker has a brilliant futurezooyorker has a brilliant futurezooyorker has a brilliant future
Hey guys,

Don't want to go off-topic here, but I've tried to contact member Lysoleverywhere to find out about his exhaust setup, but haven't gotten a reply. I remember reading about it here on on 6speed, but can't find the threads anymore.

I really would like for my car to sound exactly the same. I remember it being a custom 3" x-pipe exhaust, but not more (cats or not etc). Does anyone know who built this system?

Thanks for the help!

As far as my contribution goes, catless on these cars is not half-bad. you'll be fine.

Best regards,
Yannick

Old 03-11-2012, 05:03 AM
shtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud ofshtfrbrains has much to be proud of
I have GMG's catless X-pipe exhaust on my primarily street GT2. To me the sound is perfect. No droning on the highway, but racy. I have not noticed any bad smell other than what I would consider normal fuel smells for a serious performance car.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:34 AM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
i have a fabspeed gen 1 exhaust, catless.
its one of the loudest cars ive ever heard (on cold start).

will NEVER do it again.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by BOOSTTT
I did the 100 cell cats, but w/o an X-pipe or muffler. It is LOUD! The only reason I have the cats is to quiet it down a bit. I have an X-pipe in my garage, but my exhaust guy said "It does not make sense to put an X-pipe on a turboed car because there is no pulse from side to side, and the exhaust will flow better w/o all the extra bends".

I may still add the X-pipe though, because I would like to tone down the noise a bit more. It's confusing because I have heard the X-pipe can help and hurt HP??? I guess it's the system as a whole that makes the difference.

I have never had issues with the smell on my other turboed cars w/o any cats. That would not be an issue, I'm guessing. Sound and air-flow should be the determining factors IMHO. If you don't mind the noise, go catless is my vote. Your tune should be able to delete any CEL issues.
HEY,Have you seen the way Protomotive does his X-pipe.??It is different then everyone elses...Since you are into the flow thing,as I am,check it out...I believe his way is very good also......

Old 03-11-2012, 01:14 PM
Banned
MannschaftQ8 is a jewel in the roughMannschaftQ8 is a jewel in the roughMannschaftQ8 is a jewel in the rough
We use Protomotive 3" X-Pipe on stg1, modded vtgs, Alpha 3076, GT3076R's and +1200whp 3.8l w/GT35R's and it works damn good!

Old 03-11-2012, 06:27 PM
NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by zooyorker
Hey guys,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmH4G92AZgc

Don't want to go off-topic here, but I've tried to contact member Lysoleverywhere to find out about his exhaust setup, but haven't gotten a reply. I remember reading about it here on on 6speed, but can't find the threads anymore.

I really would like for my car to sound exactly the same. I remember it being a custom 3" x-pipe exhaust, but not more (cats or not etc). Does anyone know who built this system?

Thanks for the help!

As far as my contribution goes, catless on these cars is not half-bad. you'll be fine.

Best regards,
Yannick
Im pretty sure thats the exhaust I had. If I remember correctly, Lysol sold his car and I bought the exhaust from the new owner.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:13 PM
TTurbRon is a jewel in the roughTTurbRon is a jewel in the roughTTurbRon is a jewel in the roughTTurbRon is a jewel in the rough
Ive got a PSI exhaust that's catless. It's not an x-pipe design but I have had a few turbo and NA cars in the past which I removed the cats on. Here's the scoop, on cold starts without cats is very loud for the first 30-60 seconds until the air pumps kick off (I believe) after that sounds tame. You will get a bit more raspiness without cats. Yes you will notice more of an exhaust stink going catless than having cats but not sure how much of a difference with the 100 cells as I've never ran a high flow cat ever. My two cents are if your modding a turbo car running catless is the only way to go:
1) Quicker boost and throttle response
2) Option of running leaded high octane race gas/mix which gives the car a few more ponies
3) Less expensive than buying cats (few hundred $'s to go towards your flash)
4) Hearing the turbos spool is pure ecstacy.
I would try going catless first and if you don't like it slap some cats on it just tell your exhaust guy to make it so it will be the easiest for him to modify to cats if you don't like it. I love every aspect of a catless turbo car why spend more money for less performance? Hope this helps with your decision. Good luck!

Old 03-13-2012, 08:22 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Steve K ny
i have a fabspeed gen 1 exhaust, catless.
its one of the loudest cars ive ever heard (on cold start).

will NEVER do it again.
This is why X design is a must.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 100 cell vs straight pipes??