996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

need help with Transmission leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 06:55 PM
Sabie is on a distinguished road
need help with Transmission leak

I just purchased 02-996 TT (6 speed manual) from Prestige Audi and Porsche in Denver, there was a leak under the transmission that I noticed when I test drove the car, dealer changed the transmission pan plug and told me that everything is ok and car is ready for shipping. I got the car shipped and noticed that it is still leaking, took it to my local P-dealer and found out that transmission was over filled it by 1.5 L, they also noticed that the plug was missing the O ring, changed this O ring, took the car home, it is still leaking, I went back and they found that some kind of level plug /bolt on the other side of the transmission was leaking so we changed it, RMS is fine as there is no sign of leaks, the car is still dripping Transmission oil, they were on the phone with Porsche Tech some place in North America and they couldn’t figure out why, Porsche recommended that we drain the oil completely and refill it, by doing this they are completely making it dry so there is no oil sitting anywhere in the system, I am not sure if that’s going to stop this leak, I am not a tech by any means or have any sound knowledge of this car.

Would like to know if anyone had this kind of issue? Any comments / suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Sabie; 03-20-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:28 PM
pumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond repute
Tiptronic i presume?? If it has too much fluid that needs to be fixed! It can foam up and really mess some things up. Drain that baby and get Denver to pay for it! Did they document theyre work and inspection and pass it on to you in written form? If not you SOL but if they did, threaten BBB and such. If this is dealer to dealer talking they should be able to work it out. Maybe you pay fluid with free labor or something.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:32 PM
ty for your reply, it is 6 speed manual. i will speak with the dealer in Denver, I have emails from them about this leak and fixing it.

Last edited by Sabie; 03-20-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:16 PM
code7rpd has a spectacular aura aboutcode7rpd has a spectacular aura about
Back up sensor perhaps?

Old 03-21-2012, 02:28 PM
Thank you for your note, my dealer never mentioned the back up sensor. Back up sensor, where is this located, I am kind of doing my own research now, I will tell my shop guy to take a look at it.

they found out that leak is coming out the top as there is one way flow cap that lets out extra oil from the transmission, once they lower the level bit below what it should be, it seems to work, then again I was told its all good 3 times already and it leaks when I take the car home,
Also is it harmful to the car if I run 1/4L less oil in the transmission than normal?