996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Tires size

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 10:17 AM
dynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to behold
Tires size

Hello,
Next week i will race a bike from a dig,what is the best tire size if i want to purchase R888 or mickey thompson ET street?
Thanks

Old 03-29-2012, 12:44 PM
vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !
What wheels are you running?

Being a GT2 you can pretty much run anything that'll fit w/o fear of screwing up the front diff.

Diveextreeme had a great thread on running some (Nitto??) DRs on his GT2. Full specs. He mentioned they were terrible on his vettes but were perfect for the GT2 with all the weight in the back. I'd go digging in that thread if I were you!

Henry

Old 03-29-2012, 01:47 PM
TurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond repute
Love the R888s. Got em at tires direct

http://www.tiresdirect.net/TOYO_Prox..._P4212C789.cfm

Old 03-29-2012, 02:18 PM
UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !
r888 are a no brainer. Hooks amazing from a dig

Old 03-29-2012, 03:21 PM
dynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to behold
Thanks Guys,but i want to know if its better to run the stock size 315/30/18 or 305/35/18 ?the last one will add 1 inche to the diameter,it will affect the acceleration. maybe i am wrong...

Old 03-29-2012, 03:36 PM
TurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond repute
I am no drag race expert but I wouldn't think there would be any advantage to going with a taller , skinny tire. You have a GT2 you could go with the
R88 335/30 only .5 inch taller and more rubber on the road

Old 03-29-2012, 03:44 PM
Actually,i am running 335/30/18 pzero rosso.

Old 03-29-2012, 04:17 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Hey,No Brainer> Mickey Thompson ETS...I have been around the strip for many years and seeen alot of guys that run those on 9s cars all day long and them drive them home..Plus street racers in Chicago run those ...Even Hot Rod and Car Craft put those on their builds....Good Luck..

Old 03-29-2012, 08:10 PM
vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !
I believe the taller tire will increase speed at same RPM (giving higher top speed per gear) but extra tire will hurt acceleration some. Tradeoff.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:24 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vr4henry
I believe the taller tire will increase speed at same RPM (giving higher top speed per gear) but extra tire will hurt acceleration some. Tradeoff.
Hi,You are some what right..But sometimes using a taller tire , is like changing to a taller gear,may also help acceleration off the line because is less violent of a launch/smoother and lets the motor work more so...Alot of times when you build more HP/TQ, without having the ultimate traction/chassis set-up ,you actually will be quicker with a taller gear...Just my info to share...

Old 03-29-2012, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by johnspeed
Hi,You are some what right..But sometimes using a taller tire , is like changing to a taller gear,may also help acceleration off the line because is less violent of a launch/smoother and lets the motor work more so...Alot of times when you build more HP/TQ, without having the ultimate traction/chassis set-up ,you actually will be quicker with a taller gear...Just my info to share...
That makes perfect sense. So if you're shredding them, taller would be good, whereas if you have good traction already taller would make it slower?

Old 03-29-2012, 09:18 PM
pat
pat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond repute
Slower off the line. The taller tire will raise the overall gearing. I like the r888 s too. I just took my set of r888 s 315/30/18 s and approbate fronts off and going back to 295/30/18 s. The car is much more of a dragster with the 295s... I have the tip.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:10 PM
BOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to beholdBOOSTTT is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by johnspeed
Hey,No Brainer> Mickey Thompson ETS...I have been around the strip for many years and seeen alot of guys that run those on 9s cars all day long and them drive them home..Plus street racers in Chicago run those ...Even Hot Rod and Car Craft put those on their builds....Good Luck..

^^^^^^^^^^^^That's the one!!!!!

Old 03-29-2012, 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by pat
Slower off the line. The taller tire will raise the overall gearing. I like the r888 s too. I just took my set of r888 s 315/30/18 s and approbate fronts off and going back to 295/30/18 s. The car is much more of a dragster with the 295s... I have the tip.
IMO..I dont think that difference in tire diameter,around .5'',made that much of a difference...Air pressure differences can make a difference in diameter to,as you usually let more air out for better bite at the track..
Also did your ETS go down with the 295 over the 315??A smoother non violent launch will almost always have a better 60 ' time and overall better ET then a quick wind out of a shorter gearing trying to spin the tires, even though it 'FEELS' quicker,,Unless you have the traction and chassis....Just Saying...

Old 03-30-2012, 06:37 AM
UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !
Unless you drive on the MT limited amount i would not use them as a tire to drive around on. I have the R888 for close to 3 years and have hooked a high 1.6 with them look at the Video and you can see. The MT are a great tire and if i get a Dragpack thats what i would use but if you dont plan on taking them on and off do the R888. As far as the taller tire do the taller one. I finsh the 1/4 right on the limiter in 4th you may hear it in the video,i would have been right at 7100-7200 not at 7600. That's my 2cents

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tires size