996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Newest AVIC (F40BT) Installed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 07:35 AM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Newest AVIC (F40BT) Installed

Finally did it. Newest AVIC in the car.

Few issues;

Trim from eBay is 1mm to thick (for cup holders cars – they catch it). Had to sand down to size. Used 100 and 400 sand paper.

Dimming works once headlights are turned on. Great unless you live in Europe and are required by law to have lights on during the day.

Fitted additional sensor for day/night illumination change.

Unit is superb. Great response – happy. Boot up time; initially car from overnight sleep 15 seconds. Any additional boot (within 3 hours) radio starts playing within 2 seconds (albeit logo booting for another 5).

I tried all units, but this one was my choice at the end. Happy.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:51 AM
DYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to all
I have the model just before this one and I had the one before that too. Huge upgrade. I have the same trim piece, I also had to sand that sucker don but it looks official. I'm sure you got the USB/iPod connection so do yourself a favor and with a thumb drive load a Porsche crest boot-up screen. Nice touch . You will be unbelievably happy if you are upgrading from the old stock headunit.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:58 AM
regrossman is a jewel in the roughregrossman is a jewel in the roughregrossman is a jewel in the rough
Do you have a link to the trim ring with Porsche logo?

Old 05-11-2012, 08:38 AM
awdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant future
Do you need to add new speakers and a amp? I want to get a avic but want to use the factory speakers and amp. I have a 2003 turbo, i know they changed the format or head unit during the years. Not sure which one i have though.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:49 AM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by DYL 911
I have the model just before this one and I had the one before that too. Huge upgrade. I have the same trim piece, I also had to sand that sucker don but it looks official. I'm sure you got the USB/iPod connection so do yourself a favor and with a thumb drive load a Porsche crest boot-up screen. Nice touch . You will be unbelievably happy if you are upgrading from the old stock headunit.
I just discovered I have another problem; my ipod classic has no sound. Do I need the option cable with jack? Normal white usb ipod cable (apple) doesn't work. I have album art, everything but no sound.

Yours ok?

Old 05-11-2012, 10:14 AM
zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !zzzspeed Is a GOD !
I got the 130 model in my GT2 and its OK. Happy with most everything but a few things that I find really poorly designed:
I see they did not fix these issues on this model either. So what are the improvements on this model?

- no volume ****, have to push the up or down button
- NAV screen is really lacking in detail and quality for price
- the ability to zoom in or out takes to many steps and requires taking your eyes off the road for far too long.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:13 PM
DYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Terminator
I just discovered I have another problem; my ipod classic has no sound. Do I need the option cable with jack? Normal white usb ipod cable (apple) doesn't work. I have album art, everything but no sound.

Yours ok?
Yeah it won't work without the proper cable. I believe you need this one:

http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/2...51V/index.html

It doesn't need to be a Pioneer cable, I'm sure the place you bought the headunit from has these.

Old 05-11-2012, 03:19 PM
Yeah it won't work without the proper cable. I believe you need this one:

http://www.pioneer.eu/eur/products/2...51V/index.html

It doesn't need to be a Pioneer cable, I'm sure the place you bought the headunit from has these.
Ha ha ha. I knew it. No the importer I bought it from actually told me it will work with the normal apple cable. As I read the manual and have seen the special cable I knew it won't be the case. Waiting for cable now. Thanks.

Old 05-12-2012, 03:55 PM
daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !
Install looks great! How hard is it to get the A/C controls relocated down below? Any additional/different trim pieces required?

Old 05-12-2012, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by daedalus
Install looks great! How hard is it to get the A/C controls relocated down below? Any additional/different trim pieces required?
Not difficult. Yes trim for aircon required. eBay kit provides it for you.

Old 05-12-2012, 04:44 PM
regrossman is a jewel in the roughregrossman is a jewel in the roughregrossman is a jewel in the rough
Anyone have a link to this EBay kit?

Old 05-13-2012, 07:48 AM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
Looks great! Congrats.

Did u install yourself?

I'm assuming you have a 2001 without the MOST System. If so, how does it sound without swapping speakers and amps?

Btw - re: the lack of a volume ****, there's another model lower in the lineup that has a **** (albeit a slightly smaller screen).

Old 05-13-2012, 12:05 PM
I photoshop created this one.

In case anyone wants it - grab and download.

Attached Images  
Old 05-13-2012, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by regrossman
Anyone have a link to this EBay kit?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/99-01-PORSCH...item4ab7318525

Old 05-13-2012, 12:13 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Your installation really looks clean and professional. Nice job!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Newest AVIC (F40BT) Installed