996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

My new exhaust: **EBWerks**

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 11:55 AM
earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by johnspeed
To me it looks like the same basic design of how the gases would flow thru either system,if SpeedTechs had the cat delete pipe on in that picture...
Yes,the way it was put together and the welds are different.. BUT basic performance characteristics are the same IMO..
I'm not so certain yet...one x seems to slam the two banks into each other and then forces the flow around a cheater bend, the other is a nice constant radius that smoothly blends the two streams in a much more gentle 180 degree bend. Has anyone measured backpressure on a crossover >< vs the two u's butted together type )( ? I'm curious as to why the crossover type is considered/used post-turbine where there should be little to no scavenging.

Enrique, didn't you run some CFD on both types?

Last edited by earl3; 05-14-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:08 PM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by earl3
I'm not so certain yet...one x seems to slam the two banks into each other and then forces the flow around a cheater bend, the other is a nice constant radius that smoothly blends the two streams in a much more gentle 180 degree bend. Has anyone measured backpressure on a crossover >< vs the two u's butted together type )( ? I'm curious as to why the crossover type is considered/used post-turbine where there should be little to no scavenging.

Earl,

Yea we did on Comsol and Solidworks. I don't want to step on anyone's toes so i'll leave those details out...

For those that don't know comsol.

http://www.comsol.com/

Old 05-14-2012, 12:27 PM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
Enrique what type of hanger did use for mounting to eliminate rattling? Have you cut any tips on a angle yet or should I be the first?

Old 05-14-2012, 12:45 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by earl3

You have a well taken point,with that I might not be totally certain either now..
But is that really going to make a big difference because it is still having to banks of gases slamming into each other to a certain extent ?.
One way to check would be on a flow bench and trying to simulate those flows coming together or a back to back dyno test with the SAME conditions as each run..

Old 05-14-2012, 12:46 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Thanks John for info..But most of these new builds look like your loud/race(with out mufflers) with the similar X connector...
Yes, with a straight X-Pipe and no mufflers, the sound will always be similar - loud with drone, for those that want that very aggressive sound.

It's when you begin to design a muffled system and shoot for a great overall package that the majority of owners would enjoy using on a daily basis that the R&D comes into play. Then there are vast differences between systems. This is where we have concentrated our efforts. We don't want the drone complaints that plague most other systems, when the customer is promised none or very little drone...that takes some R&D, unless you get extremely lucky.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos

Last edited by John@SpeedTech; 05-14-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:58 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by John@SpeedTech
Yes, with a straight X-Pipe and no mufflers, the sound will always be similar - loud with drone, for those that want that very aggressive sound.

It's when you begin to design a muffled system and shoot for a great overall package that the majority of owners would enjoy using on a daily basis that the R&D comes into play. Then there are vast differences between systems.
I believe you do put more research and testing into the way the systems are going to sound then most of the similar systems out there..
I also believe/think its easy to build/copy a non-muffler/cat X system ..As they are popping up..Could these types be so much different?? IMO not that much but I dont know everything or have not seen or heard any test results on this.........

Old 05-14-2012, 01:31 PM
Basic Sponsor
Chad@SpeedTech is just really niceChad@SpeedTech is just really niceChad@SpeedTech is just really niceChad@SpeedTech is just really nice
Originally Posted by f1crazydriver
They sound very different. Both 3" and catless. I will say the speedtech - I love speedtech's tips. I think they are one of the best. But sound wize, is a different story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3Z9j...feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdx4s...feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRy0dUd3dKA

Thank you for the comment on our tips! Sound wise these are not a direct comparison though. Our link above is of our 3.0" Catless internally muffled X-pipe vs a non-muffled catless X-pipe set up. That is the reason for the sound/tone difference. Pictures are below on what was used in our video.

Internal View:

OP, enjoy the new system!

facebook
YouTube see our videos

Email-Chad@speedtechexhausts.com
Old 05-14-2012, 01:43 PM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Chad@SpeedTech
Thank you for the comment on our tips! Sound wise these are not a direct comparison though. Our link above is of our 3.0" Catless internally muffled X-pipe vs a non-muffled catless X-pipe set up. That is the reason for the sound/tone difference. Pictures are below on what was used in our video.

Internal View:

OP, enjoy the new system!

Got it. Yup just clarifying out X pipe merge is different. It is not a copy.

I love these tips

But I take pride on my work and decided not to copy that. I have something else that I want to do for tips. Just like my exhaust, i take pride and i do not copy. Never cheated/copied in getting my B.S / B.A and I'm not going to start now. This exhaust was all simulated on computer before anything physically was started. Acoustics sound was my goal.

Goto www.Comsol.com and look up acoustics as a subprogram they have. : )

http://www.comsol.com/products/speci...ons/acoustics/

Last edited by f1crazydriver; 05-14-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:19 PM
911law will become famous soon enough911law will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by John@SpeedTech

It's when you begin to design a muffled system and shoot for a great overall package that the majority of owners would enjoy using on a daily basis that the R&D comes into play. Then there are vast differences between systems. This is where we have concentrated our efforts. We don't want the drone complaints that plague most other systems, when the customer is promised none or very little drone...that takes some R&D, unless you get extremely lucky.
A question I have since you seem to be knowledgeable on the topic, your highest performance exhaust, will it give better power figures than a 3' muffler delete, cat delete, x pipe, like the one I have say?

Old 05-14-2012, 03:57 PM
Apex Factor is a jewel in the roughApex Factor is a jewel in the roughApex Factor is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by 911law
Don't even hesitate to get it and the price from what other vendors are charging is surprisingly reasonable. I really cant describe how good this exhaust sounds, the spooling turbos to the loud high pitch bark it produces at WOT is scary - have some go pro videos coming soon with better sound quality will post them when they are done.

Also noticed significant response and power throughout the whole rev range, comes on boost faster and harder.

I have come from AMG's and most my friends have AMG's and are die hard fans..... they all now want Porsche's after hearing this thing.
Oh no hesitation here! I ordered mine, just waiting for it to come in the mail

Old 05-14-2012, 04:06 PM
This might not sound good to the members buying specific X pipes BUT IMO going to any vendors pipe thats catless/3'' is going to kick *** over the stock exhaust even if it was modified OR most 200 cell aftermarket systems...I am only talking performance gains here NOT sound choices...
I think that this is an honest statement...Just my thoughts here..

Old 05-14-2012, 04:13 PM
This might not sound good to the members buying specific X pipes BUT IMO going to any vendors pipe thats catless/3'' is going to kick *** over the stock exhaust even if it was modified OR most 200 cell aftermarket systems...I am only talking performance gains here NOT sound choices...
I think that this is an honest statement...Just my thoughts here..
From my first hand experience I completely agree, not only the sounds is incredible but performance was definitely improved, this was tested against a race I had with a friends cls55 before and after the exhaust was installed.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by Apex Factor
Oh no hesitation here! I ordered mine, just waiting for it to come in the mail
The sound when you first hear it from a cold start up after it has been installed....priceless. The sound when you hit 7krpm for the first time..criminal!

Enjoy

Old 05-14-2012, 04:21 PM
The sound when you first hear it from a cold start up after it has been installed....priceless. The sound when you hit 7krpm for the first time..criminal!

Enjoy
Maybe your exhaust maker will make ones with a few straight thru mufflers to make it a bit quieter for others that are interested??

Old 05-14-2012, 05:42 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
A question I have since you seem to be knowledgeable on the topic, your highest performance exhaust, will it give better power figures than a 3' muffler delete, cat delete, x pipe, like the one I have say?
Our highest performance system would be a catless 2.5 or 3.0 (both come with 3" cat bypass pipes) with the optional muffler bypass pipes. It is a short, straight path out the back and has less resistance than when connected to an "X". It is also lighter. So if you are running race fuel or/or tracking/racing your car (1/4 mile, road course or race), it will provide the best performance when counting hundreths of seconds or in a head to head battle. Next, would be our X-Pipe with no mufflers, no cats - same as what you had built. A little heavier and a little more resistance, but very high performance and better sound that the short straight pipes. Our top selling X-flow systems (the muffled 2.5 & 3.0) are designed to be able to go back and forth from the lightest high performance configuration for a track event to a comfortable daily driver in between events. But we do offer the "X-PIPE" (non-muffled) for those that want it loud every day and desire the sound attributes of a cross-flow system. They sound better than the short straight pipes. IMO, the short straight pipes are good for getting numbers only, they do not sound very nice, but they are light, offer total flow and get the job done...

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos

Last edited by John@SpeedTech; 05-14-2012 at 05:45 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My new exhaust: **EBWerks**