996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996tt vs 997tt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 07:28 PM
Yazz911TT will become famous soon enough
996tt vs 997tt

Hi guys, I was thinking this should be a sticky. I want to know about every single individual design change between the 2 cars engine, transmission, 4WD system wise etc.. I could not find a definitive thread on this. It would be good to compile all the differences so people can clearly see! I.e. Does 3rd gear still have welded teeth, does the 997 have an LSD, what size are stock injectors on the 997tt, what are the differences in cams, rev limit...etc.. etc..

Old 07-14-2012, 07:56 PM
quick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant futurequick has a brilliant future
Let me go grab some popcorn and a chilled bottle of coke (regular)

Old 07-14-2012, 08:49 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Find someone that has got all the car magazines and Porsche literature when the 997 Turbo came out, then do the reading up..
OR get service manuals for each and compare..
Thats if you really want to find the info the right way and not the easy way..lol..
Good Luck

Old 07-14-2012, 11:07 PM
triblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond repute
The 997 has oval headlights.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:38 AM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by triblk6spd
The 997 has oval headlights.
That's quite a start!

The 997TT has a completely different AWD system, which is more advanced than the mechanical 996TT system.

Shameless Wikipedia information (so, I cannot guarantee accuracy):
997 Turbo

The Turbo version of the 997 series featured the same 3.6 L twin-turbocharged engine as the 996 Turbo, but this time it developed 480 PS (353 kW; 473 bhp) and 620 N·m (457 lb·ft) of torque. This was in part due to the 997's VTG (variable turbine geometry), which essentially combines the low-rev boost and quick responses of a small turbocharger with the high-rev power of a larger turbocharger. As well as producing more power and flexibility, the new turbocharger improved fuel consumption over the 996 Turbo. With these performance upgrades, it accelerates to 100 km/h (62 mph) in 3.7 seconds (with the manual transmission) and reaches a top speed of 310 km/h (193 mph). However, these are official figures and Porsche is notable for being conservative about their power and performance ratings. Motor Trend magazine has clocked the 997 Turbo's 0–60 mph time in 3.2 seconds with the Tiptronic transmission. Jeremy Clarkson on his "Thriller" DVD, showed that on a de-restricted stretch of autobahn with just the right downwards gradient, the car maxed out 200 mph (320 km/h). The optional Sports Chrono overboost package increases torque to 680 N·m (500 lb·ft) for short periods (maximum 10 seconds) but over a narrower rev range.

The 997 Turbo features a new all-wheel-drive system, similar to the one found on the Porsche Cayenne. Featuring PTM (Porsche Traction Management) the new system incorporates a clutch-based system which varies the amount of torque to the wheels to avoid tyre slippage. This, according to Porsche, aids traction and the handling by redirecting the torque to control oversteer or understeer, thus resulting in far more neutral handling, as well as greatly improved performance in all weather conditions (as opposed to older AWD system which gave the Turbo stability under hard acceleration). However, in the facelifted 911 Turbo, launched in August 2009,[21] the PTM system has now been tweaked to give more a more rearward power bias. The new 911 Turbo also has paddle shifters for the PDK double-clutch gearbox for the first time.[21] The new 911 turbo uses a completely different engine. The previous water-cooled turbos (996 and 997) measured 3600cc and were based on the so-called Mezger motor that powered numerous race cars. The new engine measures 3800cc and was first developed for the new carrera that was launched in 2008. The variable-vane twin turbochargers have also been extensively reworked to increase responsiveness, and the intercooler and fuel system have been uprated. It develops 493 bhp which is 20 bhp more than the previous model.[21] The steering wheel also houses a display showing when Sport, Sport Plus and launch control have been selected through the optional Sport Chrono package.[21] Porsche claims the new 911 turbo will go from 0 to 100 kilometres per hour (0 to 62 mph) in 3.4 seconds and reach a top-speed of 312 kilometres per hour (194 mph). However, several tests done by Auto-Magazines and unpartial testers have revealed that the 0–100 km/h acceleration-time is generally as low as 2.9 seconds.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:34 AM
dragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond reputedragonman4 has a reputation beyond repute
I was told by a Porsche salesman that the 997 turbo can disengage the front drivetrain and be rear drive if you pull the e-brake up 1 click. I have absolutely no idea if that's true or not. If it is though, I am super jealous.

Also, 997s have VTG turbos and 996s do not.

Last edited by dragonman4; 07-15-2012 at 11:37 AM.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:42 AM
triblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond reputetriblk6spd has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dragonman4
I was told by a Porsche salesman that the 997 turbo can disengage the front drivetrain and be rear drive if you pull the e-brake up 1 click. I have absolutely no idea if that's true or not. If it is though, I am super jealous.

Also, 997s have VTG turbos and 996s do not.
I find that extremely hard to believe, but if its true im jealous as well. ....and I dont even have AWD.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:01 PM
zippsub9 has much to be proud ofzippsub9 has much to be proud ofzippsub9 has much to be proud ofzippsub9 has much to be proud ofzippsub9 has much to be proud ofzippsub9 has much to be proud ofzippsub9 has much to be proud ofzippsub9 has much to be proud ofzippsub9 has much to be proud ofzippsub9 has much to be proud of
The rumor about 1 click on the parking brake is completely bogus and meant for suckers to bite on. Don't go for it. The viscous coupling connects at the front differential and the only way to disengage would be to remove the front driveshaft. This is tempting but I'm sure the PSM will go crazy without the proper feedback. The early 993 c4s had a setting to turn off the front wheel drive but only up to about 20 mph. I don't know all the details on that, but don't believe the 997TT disengagement.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:15 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Like Steve posted - Wikipedia is the best bet. (for now)

Old 07-16-2012, 10:44 PM
Morden314 is on a distinguished road
Every single difference? Probably very long, but filled with minutia.

Summary:
1) different turbos that were supposed to be much better but not so much in practice. Most upgraded turbos will be better.
2) Super duper suspension supposed to be better but in practice ended up not being as great. The adjustability in soft, med, hard is great for street though. The revision for 2010 fixed problem. (997.2 turbo is wicked fast)
3) Tiptronic is faster than 6spd!! at least from 0.
4) Interior generally thought as better, with nice oval headlights.
5) Stock to stock, 997 turbo if faster (though not as much as you'd think). What you expect, Porsche to go backwards?
6) 997 turbos much more expensive than 996 turbo, even after flash and exhaust, (lol)
7) Bigger tires, but no spare! 996 turbo is last to have a way to get home if you blow a tire 30 miles into the twisties and no cell reception.
8) Harder to change plugs in 997 turbo
9) Bigger brakes, more weight.
etc

Last edited by Morden314; 07-19-2012 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Factual error
Old 07-16-2012, 10:54 PM
machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !machinegunt Is a GOD !
Subscribed :-)

Old 07-16-2012, 11:25 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
I can see where this is going... Nicer wheels, nicer head lights, cool mirrors, nicer door handles, rear wing looks better, LED tail lights. Did I miss anything?

Old 07-16-2012, 11:44 PM
ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !ReeknHavic Is a GOD !
Stopwatch mounted on the dash.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:33 PM
jcam is a splendid one to beholdjcam is a splendid one to beholdjcam is a splendid one to beholdjcam is a splendid one to beholdjcam is a splendid one to beholdjcam is a splendid one to beholdjcam is a splendid one to behold
I would recommend test driving both.

I couldn't tell the difference performance wise between my 996TTX-50 and the 997. One of my buddies called all excited when they first came out, so we went over to Rusnak for a test drive. I pushed the car hard from 0-60 as well as the higher gears and took it up to 130 mph...the saleman didn't flinch, so I take it that he gets it all the time.

Though if you post your question on the 997 Board, you'll likely get a different answer.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:53 AM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Morden314
Every single difference? Probably very long, but filled with minutia.

Summary:
1) different turbos that were supposed to be much better but not so much in practice. Most upgraded turbos will be better.
2) Super duper suspension supposed to be better but in practice ended up not being as great. The adjustability in soft, med, hard is great for street though. The revision for 2010 fixed problem. (997.2 turbo is wicked fast)
3) Tiptronic is faster than 6spd!! at least from 0.
4) Interior generally thought as better, with nice oval headlights.
5) Stock to stock, 997 turbo if faster (though not as much as you'd think). What you expect, Porsche to go backwards?
6) 997 turbos much more expensive than 996 turbo, even after flash and exhaust, (lol)
7) Bigger tires, but no spare! 996 turbo is last to have a way to get home if you blow a tire 30 miles into the twisties and no cell reception. (Just put front to rear, and spare in front in worst case)

err? Are you saying spare can not be fitted to rear axle? Huh did not know this!

8) Harder to change plugs in 997 turbo
9) Bigger brakes, more weight.
etc
Thanks for this info.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996tt vs 997tt