996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Re-flash to EPL complete...whoa!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 06:09 PM
mrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond repute
Re-flash to EPL complete...whoa!

I read a lot of great EPL reviews and wondered what all the hype was about. My car came with an unknown 1bar flash, and the only mod I have made is the addition of a cat-less EBWerks X-exhaust (3"). The car felt good and sounded great before the reflash but since I installed the EPL tune yesterday I can't believe how much better it drives. It feels like there is more power available earlier and pulling harder all the way through the gears.
The performance that can be achieved with just a free flowing exhaust and a good tune is a testament to the greatness of these cars!
Hopefully this will keep me satisfied for while...but K16 billets with new injectors seems like it would be a fun mod...does it ever end?

Old 09-17-2012, 04:54 PM
996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mrmaass
The performance that can be achieved with just a free flowing exhaust and a good tune is a testament to the greatness of these cars!
Hopefully this will keep me satisfied for while...but K16 billets with new injectors seems like it would be a fun mod...does it ever end?
There is no end!

Old 09-17-2012, 07:06 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
This is a useful thread for me personally. I have a Gemballa flash (1.0 bar on K16s) and have recently becoming more critical of the driveability. I've gotten used to it over the 3.5+ years I've owned the car, but have been strongly considering a true aftermarket exhaust and reflash. EPL has been one of my go-to considerations for tune, so this sounds like terrific feedback to me. Thanks!

Old 09-18-2012, 04:48 PM
Banned
Sql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to behold
How does your Gemballa tuned boost look like? I have Gemballa flash and it is 0.8 to 0.9, I rarely see 1.0 on the gauge.

Here is a vid:

Old 09-18-2012, 05:01 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
This is a useful thread for me personally. I have a Gemballa flash (1.0 bar on K16s) and have recently becoming more critical of the driveability. I've gotten used to it over the 3.5+ years I've owned the car, but have been strongly considering a true aftermarket exhaust and reflash. EPL has been one of my go-to considerations for tune, so this sounds like terrific feedback to me. Thanks!
Hi,Do yourself a favor and check out Protomotives tunes..
My driveabilty and mileage went up since my car was retuned by them...I am a very happy camper..

Old 09-18-2012, 06:49 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
A good friend of mine and a German known tuner told me that Gemballa never produced their own programs.. it was all 3rd party unknown stuff...
I've come across German programs and they basically run stock timing add boost, lean out the car a little, change a few TQ limiter and MAF maps and thats it...
Programming doen right does make a different....
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 09-18-2012, 07:09 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Sql_pl
How does your Gemballa tuned boost look like? I have Gemballa flash and it is 0.8 to 0.9, I rarely see 1.0 on the gauge.

Here is a vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGdUppQl_IY
That is PRECISELY what I see, both through my old true stock exhaust and my modified stock exhaust (no cats). It generally hits .8 or .9 BAR on the factory gauge and only rarely hits 1.0 BAR in the higher gears. It behaves just like that video.

Originally Posted by johnspeed
My driveabilty and mileage went up since my car was retuned by them...I am a very happy camper..
Thank you johnspeed. I'm looking at all the popular tuning options such as EPL, Protomotive, SoftTronic, and even UMW (since he's in my backyard). It's a bit harder for me to budget the money since my car is already reflashed, as opposed to starting bone stock. I know I need a true aftermarket exhaust if I really want to make some power too.

Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
A good friend of mine and a German known tuner told me that Gemballa never produced their own programs.. it was all 3rd party unknown stuff...
I've come across German programs and they basically run stock timing add boost, lean out the car a little, change a few TQ limiter and MAF maps and thats it...
Programming doen right does make a different....
markski
Hey markski, thank you for your input. The more I learn about my Gemballa tune the less impressed I am by it. The final straw for me was when I tracked the car this summer and it put down some pretty mediocre numbers, which led me to contact a local shop here and ask a few questions. I'm starting to think that if I buy a real modern reflash that it's going to make a much bigger difference than I originally suspected, but the odd part is that I chatted with Kevin @ UMW about my tune a couple years ago and he basically said to save my money until I did an exhaust and a few other mods. I was surprised by his answer on one hand, but quite pleased on the other since I knew he could have said "Oh man, you need to come in now for a reflash!" and chose not to go down that road.

My biggest problem is that my friend let me take his R35 GTR on the track a couple months back so I really have the urge for more power now!

Old 09-18-2012, 07:15 PM
UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !
John actually Tony at EPL did a great job with one of my tunes on my cars. Cant say Protomotive would have made a bigger or diffrence at all.
Protomotive is doing one of my Builds and i have had greqt success with both tuners.
Tony Tuned my RS6 to the fasted 0-60 RS6 in Northamerica so Props to him and his team

Old 09-18-2012, 09:57 PM
mrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond repute
Interesting point...I hadn't thought to look at the mileage at first and now that it has been a few days I have noticed that my MPG went up too. I was getting 16mpg on my old 1bar flash and now it is over 18! That is after POUNDING the throttle at every safe opportunity for the sheer joy of feeling the new power curve. I am really glad I went with a new tune.
I went on a highway 9 canyon run with f1crazydriver (Enrique) this weekend and I was smiling ear to ear on the whole drive. Next upgrade won't be for more power, but better handling. Enrique was going so fast there was no way I could keep up; the rear end was actually wanting to get in front a few times. Thank god for PSM. Gotta keep the shiny side up!
I drove his car and it wasn't the power that was keeping him ahead because we are similarly modded, but his car feels like a go-kart compared to mine.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:09 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Great,,Just make sure that the tune adjusted your MPG indicator also..
Before if the tuners didnt adjust that ,,it would read higher mileage numbers then you were really getting...Been there ,experienced that..
Enjoy..

Old 09-18-2012, 10:14 PM
Terminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant futureTerminator has a brilliant future
With the exhaust, a good flash and K&N filter you should see 1.2 bar peak.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:16 AM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
I've been very happy with my EPL flash in terms of power, though I have run into some issues due to my overall mods. I have a custom EPL tune not just an OTS tune since I have a lot of other mods than just exhaust. I consistently pull on 997 Turbo S cars with exhausts and tunes.

Originally Posted by Terminator
With the exhaust, a good flash and K&N filter you should see 1.2 bar peak.
Maybe with a pro tune but with an OTS flash seeing 1.2 bar is only a maybe not a surety.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:31 AM
IFlyYou is on a distinguished road
Great,,Just make sure that the tune adjusted your MPG indicator also..
Before if the tuners didnt adjust that ,,it would read higher mileage numbers then you were really getting...Been there ,experienced that..
Enjoy..
Interesting, did you adjust injector size? The only way that usually happens if the injector size is changed and the computer has to compensate. However, if you're still running the same size not really sure how that would impact it?

Old 09-19-2012, 07:58 AM
Originally Posted by IFlyYou
Interesting, did you adjust injector size? The only way that usually happens if the injector size is changed and the computer has to compensate. However, if you're still running the same size not really sure how that would impact it?
You are right, I dont think it has to be done with stock injector...Its because of the change of larger injector which I have.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by Tony@epl
Fuel consumption is based on aggregate sum of injector width. This does not get corrected on stock tunes, but does on big injector tunes. We've been doing this since 07.

John- If you are suggesting this was on addressed on your EPL tune, you are infact mistaken.
Tony ,Where did I bring you or EPL up in my above posts?? No Where.
Also you are the one mistaken ,since YOU brought it up, I didnt have that on your past tunes for my bigger injectors....As I made a Thread about it and YOU responded on doing it..8-15-2011 MPG Gauge Accuracy with bigger injectors..

6speedonline.com Forums > Porsche (Present) > 996 Turbo / GT2 MPG gauge acurracy with bigger injectors

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Re-flash to EPL complete...whoa!