996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Updated Headlights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 07:28 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
steve put them in a yellow 996 tt so i can see what they would look like in mine!! i think the main difference between our lights and the cgt and lambos are they have an actual projector sticking out inside the assembly to give the black depth. not sure ours will look as striking. on a dark car it may blend well but something bright like mine may look out of place

Last edited by 32krazy!; 10-04-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:56 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Steve,

I'm impressed, and happy you took the leap of faith to get this done as it's something I've considered for a while. I really look forward to seeing them installed on your car and since I also have a black 996TT am possibly even more excited than most!

Old 10-04-2012, 10:35 PM
Hams996TT will become famous soon enoughHams996TT will become famous soon enough
I think it will look sharp. I wonder what it would have looked like if you painted the buckets black too; leaving only chrome around the pojector to make it stand out more? Either way, I like the look a heck of a lot more than the covers. This looks a lot nicer and look forward to pictures of them mounted. I presume you are awaiting their arrival still?

Old 10-05-2012, 04:44 AM
Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
steve put them in a yellow 996 tt so i can see what they would look like in mine!! i think the main difference between our lights and the cgt and lambos are they have an actual projector sticking out inside the assembly to give the black depth. not sure ours will look as striking. on a dark car it may blend well but something bright like mine may look out of place
I'm not sure there is a SY 996 in my area, but if I find one, that will let me, I'll give it a try.

I agree with your comments about the projector beam rings in the housing, but I still think it will look more updates then chrome.

Later, Steve

Old 10-05-2012, 04:46 AM
Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
Steve,

I'm impressed, and happy you took the leap of faith to get this done as it's something I've considered for a while. I really look forward to seeing them installed on your car and since I also have a black 996TT am possibly even more excited than most!
After the long phone conversation you had with me before I bought a 911 turbo, it's the least I could do.

Later, Steve

Last edited by Steve Jarvis; 10-05-2012 at 05:45 AM.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:50 AM
Originally Posted by Hams996TT
I think it will look sharp. I wonder what it would have looked like if you painted the buckets black too; leaving only chrome around the pojector to make it stand out more? Either way, I like the look a heck of a lot more than the covers. This looks a lot nicer and look forward to pictures of them mounted. I presume you are awaiting their arrival still?
I have a picture of a car with everything blacked out that I will post in a couple of hours.

I should receive the headlights next week. As soon as they arrive, they will be in the car.

Later, Steve

Old 10-05-2012, 05:50 AM
Originally Posted by Hams996TT
This is the closest picture I could find.

As you see in the first picture, they painted everything except the projector lens. I don't believe this leaves enough detail/interest in the light. Plus, I believe painting the high beam light reflector would seriously affect the light output of your high beam light.

Below that is another picture where they left the reflector chrome.

Hope this helps,
Steve

Old 10-05-2012, 02:17 PM
TurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond reputeTurboTodd has a reputation beyond repute
Oh JC ..... I think I am going to need a set of these

Old 10-05-2012, 02:21 PM
Hams996TT will become famous soon enoughHams996TT will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Steve Jarvis
This is the closest picture I could find.

As you see in the first picture, they painted everything except the projector lens. I don't believe this leaves enough detail/interest in the light. Plus, I believe painting the high beam light reflector would seriously affect the light output of your high beam light.

Below that is another picture where they left the reflector chrome.

Hope this helps,
Steve

Steve,

I have to agree; I think after seeing these pictures yours look better. The all black doesn't quite look right. Really looking forward to your pictures mounted!

- Chris

Old 10-05-2012, 05:32 PM
996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by tvurt
I did mine in body color, on the outside of the lens. I was kinda chicken, so i had them lay down some clear, in case I want to have the body color sanded off.
IMHO, your pics show what the factory should have done. The front chrome blob of a mess on the 996TT really takes away from the lines of the front of the car. The headlights on a 993 are much better looking and add to the car's styling.

Great job!!!

What did it cost to paint?

Old 10-06-2012, 08:11 AM
Omathiesen is on a distinguished road
Nice one!

Old 10-06-2012, 09:57 AM
joe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to beholdjoe731 is a splendid one to behold
Endless

Well, I thought I was done with mods, but this looks really interesting.

Great work Steve in coming up with such a clever solution to an age old design flaw.

Let's see some installed pictures

Old 10-06-2012, 10:31 AM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by joe731
Well, I thought I was done with mods, but this looks really interesting.

Great work Steve in coming up with such a clever solution to an age old design flaw.

Let's see some installed pictures
Not to take anything from Steve, but wasn't this done ages ago? Hopefully it was executed better as the original owner eventually had problems with the lights leaking - after they had been opened up...

Old 10-06-2012, 10:39 AM
DYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to all
I definitely like that the chrome cup reflector was left on there. In the past, the all-black doesn't look bad but all the details of the lights disappear. While I agree the 996 headlights aren't the best looking ever it still has details that give it character. I'd like to see these installed, but so far so good.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by ttpopo
Not to take anything from Steve, but wasn't this done ages ago? Hopefully it was executed better as the original owner eventually had problems with the lights leaking - after they had been opened up...
I'm definitely not the first. I have seen the black car above that tried several different variation as well as a slate grey car that did this exact scheme, but in slate grey on a slate grey car.

My headlights are supposed to arrive on Tuesday, but unfortunately I will be out of town. I should have pictures of the headlights on Friday.

Later, Steve

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Updated Headlights