996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Made the Jump to 305-30-19s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 02:05 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Thumbs up Made the Jump to 305-30-19s

As you all know, the 315-25/19 plus one size is becoming extinct. After some research, I made the Jump to 305-30-19 with a 225-40-19 front. I went with my new favorite tire (I run them on my 18s as well), the Hankook RS3. This tire isn't an "R" comp tire but IMO it's about as close as you can get. They are fantastic performers and have very good tread life for this category of tire. They are sticky enough that there is noticeable debris kick up as dirt sticks to the soft compound. The new rear tires are noticeably wider than the 315s they replaced. BTW, Hankook DOES have an actual R compound tire very similar to the R888 if that's your taste.

The front diameter is very very close to the rears and the new-found sidewall which is just slightly taller makes for a taller gear ratio which is good at my HP/TQ levels and gives a lot of the subtle ride plushness and feedback which was missing in the 25 series sidewall.

Not a hint of understeer with the camber I run upfront and tighter setting on the rear H&R bar which in concert have always resulted in better turn-in and eliminated understeer in my turbo.

No rub either under any condition so far on my car lowered on PSSS9s. I'm liking the choice so far!

UPDATE: After a few of driving, Wow! I'm glad I made the switch! The tires are getting a bit more broken in. These tires really put the power down much better. 1st and 2nd used to be pretty much useless since the car would just spin the tires. Now it grips and goes. You can really use the gears without just spinning and hitting the rev limiter.

The slightly fatter sidewalls have improved both ride and grip in the corners. This is obviously partially a result of the significantly softer and stickier RS3 compound.

Hope this helps if you're thinking of making the switch.

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 10-13-2012 at 11:51 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:00 AM
texeck is a jewel in the roughtexeck is a jewel in the roughtexeck is a jewel in the rough
Thanks Fanatic - a very helpful review. I have a ways to go on my 325's - but this will be my setup moving forward... Now RS3 or the Pilot Super Sports....let the debates begin!

Old 10-09-2012, 08:15 AM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
I went back as well, no regrets, car feels great!

Old 10-09-2012, 09:15 AM
sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !
Can you post pics? I am buying a car that comes with a set of stock 18's and a beautiful set of 19's but was just going to sell the 19's because of the tire situation. I did notice the tires you bought being similar in diameter but wasn't sure if I wanted to deal with messing with tire sizes. Do you have stock springs? If not, does it look like those tires would rub with the car dropped an inch (H&R's)? Any downsides to running that size that you've found?

Old 10-09-2012, 09:43 AM
dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !dhahlen Is a GOD !
Here is mine, on 19's, with H&R lowering springs.

245/35/19 front and 305/30/19 rear. Nitto Invo.

Last edited by dhahlen; 10-09-2012 at 09:46 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:44 AM
I also did a canyon run over the weekend.... no rubbing, even on hard cornering. Car feels very planted.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:47 AM
sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dhahlen
I also did a canyon run over the weekend.... no rubbing, even on hard cornering. Car feels very planted.
Cool. Maybe I'll keep the 19's then.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:08 AM
vshugo996 is a splendid one to beholdvshugo996 is a splendid one to beholdvshugo996 is a splendid one to beholdvshugo996 is a splendid one to beholdvshugo996 is a splendid one to beholdvshugo996 is a splendid one to beholdvshugo996 is a splendid one to behold
The michelin Pilot Sport PS2 and Pilot Super Suport have only a difference of 5 Rev/miles between the front and rear size tyres. This diference is significant?

Specs:
Size Overall Diameter Rev/Miles
Front 225/40/19 26.1 797
Rear 305/30/19 26.3 792

Thanks

Old 10-09-2012, 10:10 AM
150shot is on a distinguished road
Anyone have pics of a sorta before and after from the 315---> 305?

My 315 PS2 seems to be right at my fender edge and seems like if I put any higher sidewall such as a 305/30 it will rub.., although most here that have are doing ok..thanks

Old 10-09-2012, 10:26 AM
This was the 235/35 and 315/25 combo

Old 10-09-2012, 10:49 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
this is more than adequate. i'll try to post pics...

Originally Posted by vshugo996
The michelin Pilot Sport PS2 and Pilot Super Suport have only a difference of 5 Rev/miles between the front and rear size tyres. This diference is significant?

Specs:
Size Overall Diameter Rev/Miles
Front 225/40/19 26.1 797
Rear 305/30/19 26.3 792

Thanks

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 10-09-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:48 PM
ADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to behold
What is the widest tires that can be used in the front of a TT or GT2? With mild camber not track setup…
If any of you have used wider than 245s and have good feed back please comment.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:03 PM
daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dhahlen
Here is mine, on 19's, with H&R lowering springs.

245/35/19 front and 305/30/19 rear. Nitto Invo.
8.5" Front 11" rears? What are your thoughts on the Invo's? I've heard a lot of guys are hesitant to switch as Pirelli is discontinuing a lot of the aftermarket sizes for the Lambo/F-Car market and they are afraid to switch to a "lower tier" brand. But i've also talked with reputable tire firms like Wheels Boutique on this forum that say the Invo is actually based on new tire technology whereas the Pirelli's are based on 20 year old stuff (hence why they were being discontinued). But I haven't found any 996TT owner with Invo's to give feedback. Thoughts?

Last edited by daedalus; 10-09-2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:03 AM
ADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to behold
I have 8.5" front 12" rears. They are 3 piece wheels so I was thinking of getting barrels to add an inch to the fronts and making them 9.5" and run wider tires. Would 265s or 275s fit? I mean what man wouldn't want to add an other inch to his junk?? lmao
I read about the GMG GT3RS for sale and that had 265s in front and 345s in the rear.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:44 AM
Saint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud of
What size are your wheels? 8.5 F 11.5 R?

Originally Posted by Turbo Fanatic
As you all know, the 315-25/19 plus one size is becoming extinct. After some research, I made the Jump to 305-30-19 with a 225-40-19 front. I went with my new favorite tire (I run them on my 18s as well), the Hankook RS3. This tire isn't an "R" comp tire but IMO it's about as close as you can get. They are fantastic performers and have very good tread life for this category of tire. They are sticky enough that there is noticeable debris kick up as dirt sticks to the soft compound. BTW the new rear tires are noticeably wider than the 315s they replaced.

The front diameter is very very close to the rears and the newfound sidewall which is just slightly taller maakes for a taller gear ratio which is good at my HP/TQ levels and gives a lot of the subtle ride plushness and feedback which was missing in the 25 series sidewall.

Not a hint of understeer with the camber I run upfront and tighter setting on the rear H&R bar which in concert have always resulted in better turn-in and eliminated understeer in my turbo.

No rub either under any condition so far on my car lowered on PSSS9s. I'm liking the choice so far!

Hope this helps if you're thinking of making the switch.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Made the Jump to 305-30-19s