996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

45k to spend 2007 z06 or 996 tt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 08:27 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by drug delivery
Do you have a video of that?
watch the first video 3:27 in. it was a turkey and swiss on wheat

Old 10-10-2012, 08:32 PM
z06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond reputez06801 has a reputation beyond repute
If your going to track it on a roadcourse the Z06 for sure, just depends where your driving passion is, a 996TT would need a lot of mods to keep up. The Porsche is probably a better value and drives great on the street. If I had to sell one it would be the 996TT just cause My Z06 track car is so fun to drive on a roadcourse.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:35 PM
AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !AudiBull Is a GOD !
The 996 is obviously more desirable, but I would get any prospective car thoroughly checked out. I've heard far more horror stories involving costly repairs from the porsche camp than from used Z06 owners. To point out the obvious, you live in Canada, so the Porsche might be your best choice due to the AWD.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:09 PM
flavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond reputeflavorPacket has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
vette- plastiuc interior, see them on every corner.
porsche- all leather interior , rare and sought after.
This may be true where you live, but the opposite is true in LA. On my 11 mile morning commute, I usually see 6-7 other 911 turbos (996 and 997).

Old 10-10-2012, 10:22 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by flavorPacket
This may be true where you live, but the opposite is true in LA. On my 11 mile morning commute, I usually see 6-7 other 911 turbos (996 and 997).
Hahaha... Normally, in NC, I'd argue against this, but today after work, in Sacramento, I saw a Turbo S, a Turbo, a couple 6/7 C2's, 4 Boxsters, and only one C5 and one C6 'Vette (non-Z06).

Old 10-10-2012, 11:03 PM
Jmoney is just really niceJmoney is just really niceJmoney is just really niceJmoney is just really nice
Porsche no doubt. I drove both and I'll say the Z06 was cool for the time I drove it but the 996 TT stuck in my mind until I bought it. I don't like the fit and finish of the Corvette and the whole thing about how thats not why people by them still doesn't change the fact it feels cheaply built because it is..

Old 10-11-2012, 12:11 AM
ADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to behold
FlavorPacket is right… it is unnatural to see so many Trubos, GT3s, anywhere else. I lived in Europe, London to be clear, and you would see a Turbo a month, GT3 in a blue moon. There weren't any GT2s back then but even if there were that would be even more rare. I saw one 959 in all those years. My Celica GT4 used to get celebrity treatment. lmao
Here in OC, you see brand new turbos with wives with the kids in them at Albertson's parking lot, Gt3s quite regularly and GT2s once a while. I see less Z06 than TTs, and GT3s.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:14 AM
Jmoney is just really niceJmoney is just really niceJmoney is just really niceJmoney is just really nice
I love people try to say " Don't buy car X because its too common " what if its the superior car and sold more. If the other car is less popular it doesn't make it the better buy imo.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:24 AM
ADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to behold
I agree.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:41 AM
jdmjess is on a distinguished road
wow thank guy nice review here but i have to say that where i live their not even 1 porche turbo and not even a z06 little town of 30 000 people so they both rare in my case and i got 28 so it look stupid but i dont think a seller (private seller ) wlll let me drive is porsche or is z06 and i don t think u can see all you have to know about a car in 30 min of trying i would love to be able to rent both a week end

Old 10-11-2012, 07:42 AM
TXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud of
I considered a Z06 and a Viper as well before buying my 2002 996TT. Corvette... it's definitely the sports car of choice for most people, because far more people can afford them. Dime a dozen around here. Very cheap interior, and while some people say who cares, considering you spend all your driving time INSIDE the car... interior quality and fit and finish are very important to me. The car may look stunning as hell from the outside, but if I'm driving it and feel like I'm drowning in plastic, I couldn't care less.

The Viper... just too brutish of a car to be considered for use as a daily driver. Too loud, unrefined. Interior is even worse than the Corvette IMO. Had to pass.

The Porsche... I drove it back to TX from MN, on the highway, I had kids with camera phones recording me and drooling over it. I highly doubt they were doing that with the Vettes on the highway.

As far as value goes, the vette has a lot of bang for the buck for a new car. But, they really don't hold their value well over the years. At this stage in the game, I'd say a 996TT is the better value buy.

At the end of the day though, drive both, and choose the one that puts the biggest smile on your face.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:56 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jmoney
I love people try to say " Don't buy car X because its too common " what if its the superior car and sold more. If the other car is less popular it doesn't make it the better buy imo.
To some, rarity is more desirable. Not to me, as I'm in the camp - "what ever car is better FOR ME."

But to others, what makes it better, is that they don't blend in. Some like blending in.

It is a personal preference, and everybody is different. Doesn't make them wrong.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:59 AM
Well, I have no intentions of robbing a bank, so I don't need a getaway car… don't need to blend in. lol
Z06 sticks out compared to other vettes anyway. Both are great cars in my opinion. You have more chance blending in where I am in a 911 then a Z06. Who cares? I really don't.
As for Vipers go, I don't like them. I was seeing someone for a while and she just got a new one, and wanted me to drive it when we went out. I really did not enjoy it one bit. Interior is just not appealing, visibility is ehhh, and it tracked all over. It was good in a straight line. No Vipers for me expect someone gives me a free ACR, I'd put that in my garage ; )
Here is a fun fact about Porsches. Did you know that if your car breaks down they will send a tow truck free of charge to pick you up and take you to your nearest dealer. I had a coolant hose split on the way back from Texas to CA; in the middle of nowhere. I called the 1800 number to ask for the nearest dealership, to find out that they were sending out a tow truck for me and my car from almost 800 miles away!!! They gave me a few options as well, where I picked the one closer to my destination. For FREE!! Even though my car was out of warranty! GM will not do that. One of the perks of being a Porsche owner. I tell you what though, after that experience, I will always buy another Porsche as long as I can. Level of service you get owning a 911 will be very different than a Z06.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:39 PM
Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !
Orginaly posted by: ADAMNSONS

Both great cars. I used to do turbo\supercharger mods on vettes. They are a lot cheaper to mod than a Porsche. A 500 horses at the wheels in a Z06 doesn't feel that impressive. When you get into 700-800 stage then its a different story. A couple of turbos or a supercharger wakes them right up and costs as much as one of the more expensive Porsche exhausts to do so. APS had a great twin turbo kit but they are not around anymore : (
Please don't get me wrong… I love my pork chop but it costs a lot more to mod a 911.
32Krazy is right, they are rare and sought after.Fit and finish in the the Porsches are a lot better as well. If you are looking at a Turbo you can also sit 4(torture some kids or small people in the back perhaps:0), which you can not in a Z06.
Seems you have to take a few things into consideration before you decide: fit & finish, availability, image, performance, cost, etc.
If you are planning on hopping either one up quite a bit, especially the TT, I would make a good plan and find out which is the best route; both power level and cost.
I have been doing a lot research these last few weeks and have gotten some good advice from a very nice few people that have a lot of experience with the 996 turbos. They have gone through the steps and learned things the hard and expensive way and were willing to give a helping hand. There are a lot of 10K 20K upgrade options out there from numerous companies which is a bit unreasonable. I understand they are trying to make a profit but maybe they are being a bit greedy. That's my humble opinion. I get worked up when I see a 3.5K tune or a 5K exhaust. I have a good idea what these things cost and the profit margin seems Ludicrous. I just might have a few tips if you decide to mod either car to get the best bang for the buck.
I agree though that you should drive both just to see which you like more to sit in and drive.

Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Great post!

2ND THAT ! Well said!

Old 10-11-2012, 01:21 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by z06801
If your going to track it on a roadcourse the Z06 for sure, just depends where your driving passion is, a 996TT would need a lot of mods to keep up. The Porsche is probably a better value and drives great on the street. If I had to sell one it would be the 996TT just cause My Z06 track car is so fun to drive on a roadcourse.
Not a lot of mods, but some considerable money.

I say minimalistic approach to make it a true drivers race (with equal drivers) is a good tune on K24's. Rear sway and get some stiffer springs and setup advice from Mr White on stock suspension tuning. I have not really rung out a K16 Turbo on track but you just might be able to get away with that with a good tune/exhaust unless the track has really long straights.

But the tune with K24's is enough to make up the power deficit. Handling wise, a good set of coilovers with camber plates and pillow ***** included and a rear sway will do the trick.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 45k to spend 2007 z06 or 996 tt