996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

45k to spend 2007 z06 or 996 tt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 11:10 AM
jdmjess is on a distinguished road
45k to spend 2007 z06 or 996 tt

Hi im a freaking lovers of porsche if i had the money it will be a 997 turbo
bot for now its a 996 2002vs a 2007 z06
if somebodie had onwed those 2 car can you give me the + and - of each car to see which one is the best for me

last car was charger srt8 modded and a gt35 subaru impreza wrx sti 2006

i like the fack of owning the most recent car thats why i want to compare the z06 to the 996

thanks in advance
JDMJESS

Old 10-10-2012, 11:16 AM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
vette- plastiuc interior, see them on every corner.
porsche- all leather interior , rare and sought after. i was beating z06 vettes at the track in my v6 amg with my turbo its no contest

Old 10-10-2012, 11:35 AM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
I'd say drive both and see which one you like better. The 996TT is probably a better value since it pretty much reached the max depreciation.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:39 AM
jdmjess is on a distinguished road
i have to say that i live in canada where the road are the worst in the wold in you exclude poor country

Old 10-10-2012, 12:24 PM
ADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to beholdADAMNSONS is a splendid one to behold
Both great cars. I used to do turbo\supercharger mods on vettes. They are a lot cheaper to mod than a Porsche. A 500 horses at the wheels in a Z06 doesn't feel that impressive. When you get into 700-800 stage then its a different story. A couple of turbos or a supercharger wakes them right up and costs as much as one of the more expensive Porsche exhausts to do so. APS had a great twin turbo kit but they are not around anymore : (
Please don't get me wrong… I love my pork chop but it costs a lot more to mod a 911.
32Krazy is right, they are rare and sought after.Fit and finish in the the Porsches are a lot better as well. If you are looking at a Turbo you can also sit 4(torture some kids or small people in the back perhaps:0), which you can not in a Z06.
Seems you have to take a few things into consideration before you decide: fit & finish, availability, image, performance, cost, etc.
If you are planning on hopping either one up quite a bit, especially the TT, I would make a good plan and find out which is the best route; both power level and cost.
I have been doing a lot research these last few weeks and have gotten some good advice from a very nice few people that have a lot of experience with the 996 turbos. They have gone through the steps and learned things the hard and expensive way and were willing to give a helping hand. There are a lot of 10K 20K upgrade options out there from numerous companies which is a bit unreasonable. I understand they are trying to make a profit but maybe they are being a bit greedy. That's my humble opinion. I get worked up when I see a 3.5K tune or a 5K exhaust. I have a good idea what these things cost and the profit margin seems Ludicrous. I just might have a few tips if you decide to mod either car to get the best bang for the buck.
I agree though that you should drive both just to see which you like more to sit in and drive.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:02 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
A Porsche Turbo will always be a class act and is a better automobile that can be a daily driver all year around..
Good Luck and enjoy which ever you choose.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:07 PM
Global Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to beholdGlobal Autosports is a splendid one to behold
I would go with the Porsche, here are some options: Porsche 911 - Porsche 911 For Sale

Old 10-10-2012, 01:10 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
This might help.

I'm a former 2004 Corvette Z06 owner and did enjoy that car, which was in tremendous shape when I had it (sub 20k miles, I was the second owner).

The day I set out to consider my Porsche 996TT I test drove it and a 2007 Corvette Z06. For me the Corvette wasn't differentiated enough beyond my old 2004 Z06 (with regard to my gripes) that the Porsche won me over despite being slower and having higher mileage. The Porsche is a far better made vehicle, I mean just hands down no comparison whatsoever.

In it's defense, the Corvette has a sensational engine (stock), gets terrific fuel economy, is somewhat easier to work on if you're a DIYer, and the parts and insurance are generally cheaper too. It's a pretty great car in its own right. I would strongly recommend driving both and, if you're anything like me, the choice will be pretty clear if you drive them back to back.

Best wishes!

Old 10-10-2012, 06:54 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
That's a tough choice. Honestly I'd just say drive both and see which one you like best. The Vette is faster and cheaper maintenance, but early LS7's can go up in smoke if you mod them. You'll need at least a really good tune and exhaust to keep up with a Z06 in that TT. I also like the stance of the Z06 better, all you need is some nice wheels and to lower it a bit.

The Z06 is just not as sturdy and well built as the Turbo. The TT is tough as nails, but maintenance will cost you some extra.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:34 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ADAMNSONS
Both great cars. I used to do turbo\supercharger mods on vettes. They are a lot cheaper to mod than a Porsche. A 500 horses at the wheels in a Z06 doesn't feel that impressive. When you get into 700-800 stage then its a different story. A couple of turbos or a supercharger wakes them right up and costs as much as one of the more expensive Porsche exhausts to do so. APS had a great twin turbo kit but they are not around anymore : (
Please don't get me wrong… I love my pork chop but it costs a lot more to mod a 911.
32Krazy is right, they are rare and sought after.Fit and finish in the the Porsches are a lot better as well. If you are looking at a Turbo you can also sit 4(torture some kids or small people in the back perhaps:0), which you can not in a Z06.
Seems you have to take a few things into consideration before you decide: fit & finish, availability, image, performance, cost, etc.
If you are planning on hopping either one up quite a bit, especially the TT, I would make a good plan and find out which is the best route; both power level and cost.
I have been doing a lot research these last few weeks and have gotten some good advice from a very nice few people that have a lot of experience with the 996 turbos. They have gone through the steps and learned things the hard and expensive way and were willing to give a helping hand. There are a lot of 10K 20K upgrade options out there from numerous companies which is a bit unreasonable. I understand they are trying to make a profit but maybe they are being a bit greedy. That's my humble opinion. I get worked up when I see a 3.5K tune or a 5K exhaust. I have a good idea what these things cost and the profit margin seems Ludicrous. I just might have a few tips if you decide to mod either car to get the best bang for the buck.
I agree though that you should drive both just to see which you like more to sit in and drive.
Great post!

Old 10-10-2012, 08:06 PM
drug delivery will become famous soon enough
Some good advise here, which is go test drive both and buy what you like. I had a C5 ZO6 and loved the car. The C6 ZO6 is a dramatic improvement over that car and even though I have a 996 Turbo now I'd still buy a Corvette ZO6 if I didn't use the rear seat for a small child. The Vette's are great cars, cheaper to mod than a Porsche, and the drive train is superb. Yes, the interior squeeks and it's cheap plastic, but that's not why people are buying these cars. I don't think you'll be disappointed either way.

There's also some BS nonsense advise here too:

Originally Posted by heavychevy
but early LS7's can go up in smoke if you mod them.
Nonesense statement here. If you're concerned go ask the guys over at Corvette forum. The LS7s are rock solid. The only issue might be with the early models and oiling issues on high speed turns, but unless your tracking the car very hard it's a non-issue. Otherwise the engine hasn't changed across the model years.

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
i was beating z06 vettes at the track in my v6 amg with my turbo its no contest
ZO6s run 11.5 bone stock with an okay driver. 32krazy probably beat an old lady learning to drive the Vette.

All that being said, if I were in the market for a C6 ZO6 I won't be spending $45K. Shop around and you'll find a good deal for under $40K. You'll also find a solid 996T for about the same.

Last edited by drug delivery; 10-10-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:10 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by drug delivery

ZO6s run 11.5 bone stock with an okay driver. 32krazy probably beat an old lady learning to drive the Vette.
actually i race over confident folks who think they can drive a stick and my amg jumps them at the line and they get to play catch up! heres a vid from the last z06 who tangled with my turbo at the 1/2 mile 3:27 IN

heres another who thought a giant burnout would make him faster. SEEYA!!

Last edited by 32krazy!; 10-10-2012 at 08:26 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:11 PM
actually i race over confident folks who think they can drive a stick and my amg jumps them at the line and they get to play catch up! heres a vid from the last z06 who tangled with my turbo at the 1/2 mile
It's a drivers race. No one really cares if you're having fun.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:18 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by drug delivery
It's a drivers race. No one really cares if you're having fun.
every race i have ever had has been fun. win lose or draw. if it wasnt fun i wouldnt do it.
the half mile event was pure hp . i could have made a sandwich in the distance i beat him

Old 10-10-2012, 08:23 PM
i could have made a sandwich in the distance i beat him
Do you have a video of that?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 45k to spend 2007 z06 or 996 tt