996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Rear bumper not symmetrical on both sides?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 08:05 PM
NTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond repute
Rear bumper not symmetrical on both sides?

Has anyone noticed this? I noticed I can see more of the left rear tire on my car when looking at it from the rear. I was concerned so I took the wheels off and started measuring to see if the suspension was off or anything. What I have concluded is that the contour of the bumper is not the same on both sides. The right side has more of a rounded curve. I did a search on the internet and could not find anything on this. I then started to search images and noticed that many pictures support my findings. I also remember reading years and years ago about the rear of a Porsche not being symmetrical for some odd reason. It is definatly more noticeable with wider wheels/tires in the back. PS, if you have never noticed this and your car is like this then I apologize because every time you look at your car now you will notice it. lol

You can see what I am talking about in this pics...

Last edited by NTIMD8; 10-17-2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:14 PM
Hams996TT will become famous soon enoughHams996TT will become famous soon enough
Hmm.... That is a strange thing to ponder... Not sure what to say about that except I would likely have to have had some sort of mind expanding substance to have noticed that one. But I do see what you're talking about... Interesting. Sure it's not just camera angle playing fool to you?

Old 10-17-2012, 08:22 PM
NTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond reputeNTIMD8 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Hams996TT
Hmm.... That is a strange thing to ponder... Not sure what to say about that except I would likely have to have had some sort of mind expanding substance to have noticed that one. But I do see what you're talking about... Interesting. Sure it's not just camera angle playing fool to you?
LOL

I noticed it first on my car in person. It was only then that I started to look at pictures and some pics the angle was more to the right and you can still see the left tire more.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:40 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
it gives the competition something to look at as they are being blown away!!

Old 10-17-2012, 08:43 PM
Hams996TT will become famous soon enoughHams996TT will become famous soon enough

OT and sorry to steal your thread for a moment; but man I love the Euro look of the rear bumper without the bumperettes. So clean looking.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:08 AM
Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !
All of the pictures you attached are taken more from the drivers side, this is why you see more of the drivers rear tire.

Just look at how much more you can see the drivers side mirror in the pictures versus the passenger side mirror.

Later, Steve

Old 10-18-2012, 09:09 AM
Originally Posted by Steve Jarvis
All of the pictures you attached are taken more from the drivers side, this is why you see more of the drivers rear tire.

Just look at how much more you can see the drivers side mirror in the pictures versus the passenger side mirror.

Later, Steve
Although I understand what you are saying and agree that it may emphasize what I am pointing out, I think that the left side tire sticks out more regardless. I will find some pictures with the angle more on the right side where you can still see the tire sticks out more on the left side.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:33 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
I'm not seeing it. The pictures provided as "evidence" are not taken from the middle of the rear and even so, I'm not seeing any difference.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by Slider
I'm not seeing it. The pictures provided as "evidence" are not taken from the middle of the rear and even so, I'm not seeing any difference.
Really? You can't see the rubber of the left tire shows more (higher) than on the right side?

Old 10-18-2012, 11:53 AM
Here is one with the angle taken more from the right and you can still see more of the left rear tire...

Old 10-18-2012, 12:30 PM
uschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant future
If this is true, it's negligible. I wouldn't be concerned about it.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:03 PM
Oh ya, I'm not concerned at all. Just found it odd.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:45 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NTIMD8
Really? You can't see the rubber of the left tire shows more (higher) than on the right side?
No - it all looks like perspective to me. The shorts are taken more from the left side, so the left side seems bigger - I think it's all optical.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by NTIMD8
Here is one with the angle taken more from the right and you can still see more of the left rear tire...

On this picture, the right tire is in the shadow - so it "looks" like it's not there, but really it is.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by Slider
On this picture, the right tire is in the shadow - so it "looks" like it's not there, but really it is.
The shadow is only on the bottom. Look higher. You see how you can see tire above the bumper vents on the left side but you see no tire above the vents on the right side?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: Rear bumper not symmetrical on both sides?