Any Numeric Shifter customers? - Page 3 - 6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

Notices
996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.
Sponsored by:

Any Numeric Shifter customers?

Old 04-05-2015, 02:25 PM
bimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to beholdbimmer81 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by jcb-memphis View Post
Option #2. CAE.

Not subtle. Numeric for stock boot for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3bDiGRe7ao

Jeff
Hey Jeff, any down side to this shifter? Im leaning towards the CAE over the Numeric, the CAE with cup cables must be amazing.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:18 AM
HotRodGuy has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodGuy has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodGuy has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodGuy has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodGuy has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodGuy has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodGuy has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodGuy has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodGuy has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodGuy has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodGuy has a reputation beyond repute
anyone know if this play is normal?

Old 02-13-2018, 01:15 PM
s65e90 is a name known to alls65e90 is a name known to alls65e90 is a name known to alls65e90 is a name known to alls65e90 is a name known to alls65e90 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by HotRodGuy View Post
anyone know if this play is normal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss4IuXNpvj0

I made a very similar vid years ago when I installed mine. Slight side to side play is hard to eliminate. I had an early shifter and since he's changed to a steel pivot versus the old brass. It's a tad better/tighter tolerance but most say it's normal to have a tiny side to side play.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:01 PM
HotRodGuy has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodGuy has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodGuy has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodGuy has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodGuy has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodGuy has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodGuy has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodGuy has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodGuy has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodGuy has a reputation beyond reputeHotRodGuy has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks. I figured it was just some give in the stock cables. Numeric confirmed

Old 02-13-2018, 11:37 PM
Slider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond repute
It looks to me like the cable is moving properly... I'm not sure what you are expecting here, but the car does require a certain amount of movement before the gear actually shifts. In the video, the side to side play is accompanied by a proportional amount of cable movement - just not enough to change gears. If the shifter was moving without the cable moving - that would indicate a loose mechanism or "play". I'm not seeing that in the video.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:36 PM
'02996ttx50 has a reputation beyond repute'02996ttx50 has a reputation beyond repute'02996ttx50 has a reputation beyond repute'02996ttx50 has a reputation beyond repute'02996ttx50 has a reputation beyond repute'02996ttx50 has a reputation beyond repute'02996ttx50 has a reputation beyond repute'02996ttx50 has a reputation beyond repute'02996ttx50 has a reputation beyond repute'02996ttx50 has a reputation beyond repute'02996ttx50 has a reputation beyond repute
numeric is "crisper" and more "bolt action" than the 997ssk.. which is still, MUCH better than stock. nothing "amazing" about any of them lol.

Old 02-18-2018, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
It looks to me like the cable is moving properly... I'm not sure what you are expecting here, but the car does require a certain amount of movement before the gear actually shifts. In the video, the side to side play is accompanied by a proportional amount of cable movement - just not enough to change gears. If the shifter was moving without the cable moving - that would indicate a loose mechanism or "play". I'm not seeing that in the video.

yea, I get the movement. The play Iím showing Iím just attributing to the slack in the stock cables.

Old 02-18-2018, 02:32 PM
Slider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond reputeSlider has a reputation beyond repute
That would be tough to show in a video... The only way to prove slack is to show what is happening to the shift levers on the transmission when you are rocking the shifter as in the video. If those levers aren't moving as the cables move, then you have proven your issue. Otherwise, you are just showing the cables moving when you move the shifter - as they should.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:55 AM
s65e90 is a name known to alls65e90 is a name known to alls65e90 is a name known to alls65e90 is a name known to alls65e90 is a name known to alls65e90 is a name known to all
yeah you're moving it around a bit. This is what I think/though would be excessive. This movement>>>>

Old 02-19-2018, 10:13 AM
Originally Posted by s65e90 View Post
yeah you're moving it around a bit. This is what I think/though would be excessive. This movement>>>>
Yes - that video shows movement in the shifter without a corresponding movement in the cables. Cables moving back and forth are not helping shift gears - that is excessive play.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
Yes - that video shows movement in the shifter without a corresponding movement in the cables. Cables moving back and forth are not helping shift gears - that is excessive play.
Yes, the OP video looks like he's forcing it more and the cables are moving, but this is isolated to the shifter itself. Since then, he's changed the pivot to steel versus the original brass piece and the tolerances are slightly tighter; however, it's IMPOSSIBLE to remove all the play considering the pieces have to fit together and there's so many moving parts (cable trans suck).

- point being a little play is normal and acceptable.

Old 02-19-2018, 11:23 AM
g-50cab is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm guessing that none of you guys have driven a 915

Old 02-19-2018, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by g-50cab View Post
I'm guessing that none of you guys have driven a 915
Every time I think I want an old(er) P car I am reminded to what junk rowing the gears in one is. Hence why every video you see the shifts are always slow in P cars. Literally like pulling a paddle backwards. Not to mention the weirdo pedals off the floor and offset pedal box.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:17 PM
Sam Lin will become famous soon enoughSam Lin will become famous soon enough
My Numeric had what I felt was an odd amount of slop. Investigation found that it somehow was sent to me missing one of the pivot bearings. They made it right immediately, but I was quite disappointed in the shifter feel at first!

Sam