996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Radiator R&R

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 07:24 AM
okiedude will become famous soon enoughokiedude will become famous soon enough
Radiator R&R

Well, found the source of the random coolant smell last night. RF radiator is weeping. I watched the video over on RennTech for bumper removal and radiator access. Anybody have any thoughts or tips on the actual replacement process itself? Would appear pretty straightforward, but I have never done it.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:51 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
If you have never replaced the coolant this would be a great time to flush the system and replace with fresh Pentosin coolant. (~7.5 gallons)

Old 12-04-2012, 11:40 AM
sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !
I just did this job a couple days ago.

First, take off your bumper and make sure it is the only radiator that is leaking. I mistakenly ordered just the drivers side, got the bumper off when that came in and found the passenger side was leaking but hadn't started dripping yet.

Really, the job is easy.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:31 PM
PO just had the LF radiator replaced in September. Coolant was changed at that time. Hopefully I will now be good on radiators for a while.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:55 PM
nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !
I have 3 friends that are long time techs for various Porsche dealerships, two other friends that are in the "business" and own Porsches. I told them I can occasionally after a hot and brisk canyon run smell coolant up front but no leaks on the ground and no appreciable coolant loss. Recommendation is a coolant sealer to help stop any seepage. They told me it is used all the time with great success but it's generally not recommended to their customers as they generally want a 100% fix the first time and will ante up the funds without question. I tried it, no more coolant smell, ever.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:23 AM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
I just did my center rad. I replaced the left and right ones a few months back. Anyone have the leaking left and right rad that are not smashed that would send me? I will pay the shipping.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:24 AM
sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tim941NYC
I just did my center rad. I replaced the left and right ones a few months back. Anyone have the leaking left and right rad that are not smashed that would send me? I will pay the shipping.
I've got both still. Haven't smashed them yet.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:54 AM
I will have a right radiator later this week.
Is it possible to change out the radiator without dumping the entire cooling system? I plan to capture and reuse the coolant as it was just changed the end of September. Just want to know if I need to plan on all 7.5 gallons rushing out at one time. What about "burping" the cooling system once it is all put back together, is that needed, if so is there a special procedure?
I have the nifty burping funnel for normal radiator cap type systems, but I don't think it will work on the Porsche system.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:00 AM
Originally Posted by okiedude
Is it possible to change out the radiator without dumping the entire cooling system? I plan to capture and reuse the coolant as it was just changed the end of September. Just want to know if I need to plan on all 7.5 gallons rushing out at one time. What about "burping" the cooling system once it is all put back together, is that needed, if so is there a special procedure?
I have the nifty burping funnel for normal radiator cap type systems, but I don't think it will work on the Porsche system.
I lost maybe two quarts while doing two radiators. What I did was pull out the bottom hose then immediately my gf would hold her hand over it and the opening above the rest of the hose. Then I would pull off the top hose and hold that above with one hand while I grabbed the new radiator with the other hand. Plugged the bottom hose in then the top hose.

Here's a tip. Pull the hose clips off the old radiator and install them on the new radiator before putting the new radiator in the car.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:23 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by okiedude
You'll need a bleeder kit or utilize the bleed valve on the overflow tank and drive A LOT to bleed the system.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:51 AM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Get the hose clamping pliers you need two. one for the bottom hose and one for the top. a small one for the little bleeder line. I hooked up the lower hose then filled the rad up as much as I could then reconnected the top lines. cut down on the bleeding time.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:11 AM
Any tips for bleeding? Jack the rear of the car up as high as possible and run it? (Just no Ferris Bueller action-LOL) How does the bleeder on ther overflow tank work?
Thx for your help so far. Bumper is off, new radiator just came out of the box, time to get serious. Lot's of stuff around the radiator, fan and A/C condenser. It's pretty busy in there.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:21 PM
95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of
Anyone have tips for how to flush the coolant system?

I, so far, have:

- Right and Left Front Radiators
- 1 Gallon of OEM Coolant
- Supply and Return Hoses for both front radiators (4 total)
- Extra hose clamps (top and bottom)
- New Coolant Expansion Tank Cap

I am trying to decide on how much additional coolant to buy. I was initially planning on (2) more gallons as I am not sure how hard it is to flush the entire system. I still have the ominous green coolant in the car from early 2003 and would like to flush it out in favor of the updated coolant.

Anyone have any tutorial or DIY for complete flush/bleed?

Last edited by 95RogueM3; 01-31-2013 at 08:23 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:32 PM
hoover991 is on a distinguished road
contact a mechanic for more directions...............the earlier the better

Old 01-31-2013, 08:40 PM
95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of95RogueM3 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by hoover991
contact a mechanic for more directions...............the earlier the better
Umm..Thanks for the detailed response.

No need to respond without any details, etc. Anyone can take their car to a shop, I'd like to avoid it if at all possible.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Radiator R&R