996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

LED plate lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 05:41 PM
leftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond repute
LED plate lights

Just replaced the rear plate lights on my 04 with the LED bulbs I bought at Suncoast for $35 - what a difference. It took 5 minutes to replace - unscrew 2 screws on each housing, pull it out, push the old bulb out, put in the LED one, then reinstall the housing into the bumper. I have zero ability and this was simple, and it looks great!

No pics - to reproduce the effect, look at a yellow sheet of paper, then a white sheet illuminated by a flashlight. It's that much better.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:54 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
I wonder if the photoflash used by the good old cops to generate revenue still makes the pictures readable / view-able as it is so much brighter..

Old 12-21-2012, 06:29 PM
Another P has a spectacular aura aboutAnother P has a spectacular aura about
Smile

Originally Posted by hroussard
I wonder if the photoflash used by the good old cops to generate revenue still makes the pictures readable / view-able as it is so much brighter..
No difference....

Old 12-21-2012, 08:13 PM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond repute
Thank you and we're glad you like our little LED kit. We sell quite a few of them every day. Happy Holidays from Suncoast Parts!

Old 12-22-2012, 10:05 AM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
soo. who is going to write up the installation process / wiring , gotcha's and of course pictures , one step a the time for folks like me that need to read the manual to open the lid to the cookie jar.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:11 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by leftlane
Just replaced the rear plate lights on my 04 with the LED bulbs I bought at Suncoast for $35 - what a difference. It took 5 minutes to replace - unscrew 2 screws on each housing, pull it out, push the old bulb out, put in the LED one, then reinstall the housing into the bumper. I have zero ability and this was simple, and it looks great!

No pics - to reproduce the effect, look at a yellow sheet of paper, then a white sheet illuminated by a flashlight. It's that much better.
Isn't it better to be darker and less visible?

Old 12-22-2012, 01:15 PM
Another P has a spectacular aura aboutAnother P has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Aerodude
Funny you should mention that,as I always thought that the last thing I want to do is advertise my lic plate even more. I used to have a truck that mysteriously had a lot of mud on the bumper and plate
That said, I do like the bright crisp newer look.

Old 12-22-2012, 01:51 PM
leftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Aerodude
I'm not paying extra $$$ for my personalized plate (for the last 10 years) to keep it in the dark.

Old 12-22-2012, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by hroussard
soo. who is going to write up the installation process / wiring , gotcha's and of course pictures , one step a the time for folks like me that need to read the manual to open the lid to the cookie jar.
See my post above - I didn't replace the entire housing, just the bulb inside. Unscrew the 2 screws on each light, pull the housing down and out, pop the old bulb out and put the new one in. Simple simple simple. No wiring work needed at all, just a Phillips screwdriver, and I used a really small screwdriver to push the contact away from the bulb to make it easier to pop out. The LEDs have to go in a certain way but it was easy - I turned my lights on so I knew right away if I put it in correctly. If not, just flip the bulb around. Even if the wires pull out of the housing, just push them right back in. You really can't mess it up (or I would have, I promise).

Old 12-22-2012, 02:54 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
This is definitely a must-do mod for me, just something I haven't done yet. I'm also not a fan of drawing attention to my license plate but, to put that into perspective, I'm not exactly the guy street racing or doing things I shouldn't anyway. I really like the modernized look of LED lighting on our cars, and plan to replace a lot more bulbs with LEDs going forward.

Old 12-22-2012, 07:29 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
There was a post with a plug and play complete LED housing. I did it and it looks great.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:05 PM
kateean2 is on a distinguished road
Good thread, I always like them.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:19 PM
Steve B. is a splendid one to beholdSteve B. is a splendid one to beholdSteve B. is a splendid one to beholdSteve B. is a splendid one to beholdSteve B. is a splendid one to beholdSteve B. is a splendid one to beholdSteve B. is a splendid one to beholdSteve B. is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Duane996tt
There was a post with a plug and play complete LED housing. I did it and it looks great.
There is a set on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=170954576672

But they almost seem too bright... I am a bit hesitant to make the purchase.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:56 PM
DYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to all