996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

PSM Interference Issues....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 10:36 AM
Fallbangskid has much to be proud ofFallbangskid has much to be proud ofFallbangskid has much to be proud ofFallbangskid has much to be proud ofFallbangskid has much to be proud ofFallbangskid has much to be proud ofFallbangskid has much to be proud ofFallbangskid has much to be proud of
Question PSM Interference Issues....

All,

I'm running X73 suspension, H&R Sway bars full soft and Ventus V12's stock sizes F&R.

There are NO constant PSM/ABS dash warnings.

I just reworked my brakes, alignment, had the rear tires (only) replaced and cleaned the rear wheel sensors. They had iron dust both in and on the sensors.

First drive was scary with the PSM going off like a pinball machine. Even with the PSM switch turned OFF. The issues seem to be centered around the time when I had a clutch installed, and new rear tires. Sways were readjusted to 2/3 in the rear, now back to 1/3 full soft. Fronts full soft as well. Still going off in light corners.

Other than the PSM warning light going off while it is steering me toward a mountainside, there are no lights or other anomalies....

I have yet to check the front wheel sensors, and have heard that there is a steering wheel angle sensor that needs to be calibrated?

Could the new rear tires be doing this?
If so, will they "break in"?
Could the steering angle calibration be doing it?
Front wheel sensors?

Any info would be helpful!

Thanks in advance,

Old 03-24-2013, 03:38 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
new hankook v12's on the rear of my car was ( as you say ) replete with many abs/psm's on wide open canyon roads and was *very nearly* a recipe for disaster. no joke.

.. and yeah, i blame the tires. though i WAS driving. heh

Old 03-24-2013, 04:14 PM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
Happened to me with mismatched tires as well (PS2/Sumi)- Very scary! For the price pick up some new V12 fronts. Been running these for two years. Great tires for the price, but these cars like matched sets!

Old 03-24-2013, 10:20 PM
jdiesel has a spectacular aura aboutjdiesel has a spectacular aura about
Same thing happened to me with new ventus v12's on the rear. I had worn pilot sports on the front and I would get psm interference on just about every turn. Once the rears were worn the problem went away, not sure how many miles but definitely more than a few hundred.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:35 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
This is a real head-scratcher. We are talking about 18's. We have all heard of people running 315's in the rear or even taller 19's with no issue. And as we all have experienced, the rears wear so much faster that many of us have gotten new rears while leaving the 50-80% fronts with no issue.

No fault codes. No change in alignment or tire size.

I also was thinking maybe the tires are coated funny and need to wear more? Do a few burn outs M, maybe that will do it.

I will work on this some more.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:59 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
I would make sure you have the same brand tires and an alignment all around. Knowing how easily this system intervenes, I wouldn't be surprised that the new rear tires are causing it.