996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Exhaust question -- scared to post in X-Pipe thread!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 06:38 PM
NoGaBiker is a splendid one to beholdNoGaBiker is a splendid one to beholdNoGaBiker is a splendid one to beholdNoGaBiker is a splendid one to beholdNoGaBiker is a splendid one to beholdNoGaBiker is a splendid one to behold
Exhaust question -- scared to post in X-Pipe thread!

This question might have been answered in "that other thread". Hell, every question ever posed about exhaust systems may have been answered there, but I couldn't get past page 13. So I'ma start my own.

Somebody mentioned the following in that thread:

"The OP just wanted 500whp and QUIET, on pump gas. He should have just used a modified OEM muffler."

I perked up because that's exactly what I want, with emphasis on the quiet part. Mine's an X50 with an inherited B&B ReverboDroner that is loosening my teeth.

What do you people think about this guy's approach? Is there somewhere else I should look for a similar solution?

Did I mention I want it quiet?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-996-...-/280712753853

Cheers!

Old 04-24-2013, 06:58 PM
Dr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of light
I have a stock exhaust with gutted cats and did about 500awhp on EPL's dyno (Billet k16's with EPL fueling on pump). Very quiet with no drone.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:06 PM
Ms4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond reputeMs4cd has a reputation beyond repute
If you want a nice quiet exhaust and are not making over 550whp I would highly recommend a Euro Pipe. Sounds great, no drone and is a work of art to look at.

It was my favorite until it had to go since it became a restriction.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:12 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
that exhaust should be just right for you....

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 04-24-2013, 07:14 PM
NoGaBiker is a splendid one to beholdNoGaBiker is a splendid one to beholdNoGaBiker is a splendid one to beholdNoGaBiker is a splendid one to beholdNoGaBiker is a splendid one to beholdNoGaBiker is a splendid one to behold
I agree Europipe is beautiful. Anyone have one they want to sell me because they're making too much hp now? Looks like you can't buy these in the states, unless my search skills are decaying. No one around me that I know of has one I can listen to, and I'm loathe to spend over 3gs and deal with importing a car part (might be easy, but I don't know) for this when I haven't heard it.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:16 PM
Markski, I really appreciate your opinion on this. Thanks for weighing in.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:31 PM
BMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond repute
That link appears to be nothing more than a stock OEM exhaust with a set of race cats welded in with different exhaust tips....and for $1500?? Seems like a crazy price for something you could do for less than half that amount. You could get close by taking your stock exhaust and gutting the cats ($0). I custom built my own (sans cats) with an x-pipe and OEM tips for around $700 and eliminated 33pounds off the back of the car (and it's not very loud except at WOT). Best of luck whatever you do but do your homework there are plenty of options out there.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by BMiller33
That link appears to be nothing more than a stock OEM exhaust with a set of race cats welded in with different exhaust tips....and for $1500?? Seems like a crazy price for something you could do for less than half that amount. You could get close by taking your stock exhaust and gutting the cats ($0). I custom built my own (sans cats) with an x-pipe and OEM tips for around $700 and eliminated 33pounds off the back of the car (and it's not very loud except at WOT). Best of luck whatever you do but do your homework there are plenty of options out there.
Yes, but I have no OEM exhaust. Was not included with the sale, else it would be on there right now while I figure out what I ultimately want.

I appreciate your advice to do my homework about the plenty of options. I've been doing a lot of homework and haven't come up with any options that are more concerned with noise abatement and drone elimination than they are with supporting 3500 horsepower. I know, of course, that I can use somebody's takeoff OEM, but thought this might be a nice compromise in between fully stock (which seems to go for $600-$900 on eBay) and an aftermarket system that I can't seem to listen to locally and costs twice as much as this one.

But if you have another idea along these lines I'd love to hear it. I'll check out any suggestions.

Thanks!

Old 04-24-2013, 08:12 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Milltek 100 cell system..

Old 04-24-2013, 08:31 PM
madru17 has a brilliant futuremadru17 has a brilliant futuremadru17 has a brilliant futuremadru17 has a brilliant futuremadru17 has a brilliant futuremadru17 has a brilliant futuremadru17 has a brilliant futuremadru17 has a brilliant futuremadru17 has a brilliant futuremadru17 has a brilliant futuremadru17 has a brilliant future
Anyone have any experience with the usp exhuast?

Old 04-24-2013, 09:39 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Hey guys that's me selling those.

It is fairly simple but I have never found anyone to actually be able to do it with sport cats. Most just gut the primary. There is also a larger secondary. Then try finding a cat that will pass smog, not blow out and fit in there. Get it in a fixture, re-weld and make it fit the first time the customer installs it. Lots of time and effort. It's not meant to be cheap. It's for guys who want about stock sound, maybe 10% louder - and flow better up to 5/600hp with no other draw backs. But don't want to pay RUF $5500 for it . Sold many and for some it's the answer. I also have sold more various full aftermarket systems over the years than most can say. There are many great vendors here that have great solutions. Over the last 2 years since the first one I have sold 11 of these and about 40+ others. For some guys it's just right.

Last edited by SamboTT@ByDesign; 04-24-2013 at 09:44 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:59 PM
Hey Sam, I was planning to call you tomorrow to discuss. Was hoping somebody else had used yours and would weigh in, but I guess nobody's on here right now that has.

I'll give you a shout tomorrow with a few questions.

Thanks!

Matt

Old 04-25-2013, 01:52 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Yes, but I have no OEM exhaust. Was not included with the sale, else it would be on there right now while I figure out what I ultimately want.

I appreciate your advice to do my homework about the plenty of options. I've been doing a lot of homework and haven't come up with any options that are more concerned with noise abatement and drone elimination than they are with supporting 3500 horsepower. I know, of course, that I can use somebody's takeoff OEM, but thought this might be a nice compromise in between fully stock (which seems to go for $600-$900 on eBay) and an aftermarket system that I can't seem to listen to locally and costs twice as much as this one.

But if you have another idea along these lines I'd love to hear it. I'll check out any suggestions.

Thanks!
I have a virtually brand new OEM exhaust that was removed from the car at 3K miles. It includes the optional X50 dual tips. PM me if interested.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:04 AM
REDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud of
If I read it right, the actual cost for you will be $2000 because you will have to pay a $500 core charge for not having a stock system to trade? Or is that only for the version with baffles removed? Anyways, thumbs up to SamboTT for a clever solution. It's a good idea

Old 04-25-2013, 11:05 AM
REDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud of
Should also be a good solution for people who go to tracks with noise dB limits

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Exhaust question -- scared to post in X-Pipe thread!