996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Spoiler Thread - With a difference

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 10:38 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
Spoiler Thread - With a difference

This is a spoiler failure thread that doesn't involve a problem with the hydraulics. The spoiler had not been used in a very long time (maybe never). The car is a 2004 turbo cab with only 40 K km that belongs to a friend of mine.

The spoiler went up twice. Once automatically at 120 kph, the second time under manual control it came down and there was an audible crack sound. After that, the driver's side of the spoiler would not raise. We read up on the other spoiler failures on 6SO and thought the lubrication problem would apply in this situation.

We couldn't find any issue with leaks or wiring. After removing the motor and pump assembly and trying to power it up, we noticed a broken piece of plastic inside the aluminium case. We disassembled the case and this is what we found:

The plastic block that drives the individual pumps (one for each side) just broke apart. No other problem was found.

Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone have an assembly that they have replaced with a fixed wing and no longer need the plastic block?

I imagine that the actual piece would not be available from the dealer - I am betting the whole assembly would have to be purchased, but I'll find out tomorrow...

Attached Images    
Old 08-05-2013, 10:56 PM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Old 08-06-2013, 07:01 AM
TXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud of
For the life of me, I don't know why Porsche decided to go with a hydraulic system for the rear wing. It's overly complicated, when a simple electric motor is all they needed.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:58 AM
Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !
I will never use mine again. All was working good in my 24k miles car before I removed it. Make me an offer as I know I will never reinstall it again.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:07 AM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
Ouch! I hope Porsche revised this completely different for the 991.

That said, using an aftermarket wing puts extra stress on them because they don't align like OEM does. That is why i went back to my oem wing. Al-thought i did have one fail at 21k miles, with the oem wing...(over all i had 2 replaced under warranty, the 3rd one i took it of and sold it while i could still get top $).

Old 08-06-2013, 04:36 PM
ejaahm is on a distinguished road
I had similar problem. In my case the middle white plastic part broke and also had leaking problem. Dealer quote around $2100 for replacing the whole system. Dealer do not sell individual part of the spoiler pump. PM sent.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:29 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
OK, I've been making CF parts for a while now, so I thought I would give this a try. Here is my plastic part fix DIY...

Put everything back in the car - Spoiler fixed.

Total cost - CF - $0.75, Resin - $1.50. 2 Hours sanding and cutting. Experience - Priceless!

Attached Images         
Old 08-10-2013, 05:29 AM
King James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond repute
Like the carbon fiber, any noticeable weight reduction benefits?

Old 08-10-2013, 09:06 AM
daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !
That's amazing! Well done!

Old 08-10-2013, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by King James
Like the carbon fiber, any noticeable weight reduction benefits?
I should have weighed the new piece... By feel, it seemed pretty close.

Old 09-07-2013, 05:48 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Nice DIY CF fix!

Old 09-08-2013, 03:21 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
Wow, major points for creativity there!! Well done sir!!

Old 09-09-2013, 05:54 AM
oldsock is on a distinguished road
Wow, all I can say is wow! So, where is a good source to order the CF and resin?

Old 09-09-2013, 08:26 AM
I get my CF from http://compositeenvisions.com/ and the resin I get locally. Shipping Resin by air is very expensive and probably not worth it if other sources are available.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:06 AM
tjj7ff is on a distinguished road
Spoiler Thread - With a differience QUESTION

Slider, What a great fix. I have the same problem and want to give this a try. Before I get started I wanted to understand how you prepared the CF for application into the mold. Did you cut the CF into strands, mixed them with the resin/hardener, and then applied it into the mold or was CF left in a sheet and then applied? I want to understand how you made sure that the CF completely surrounded and made an impression of the threads in the CF from the main screw drive. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Tim

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Spoiler Thread - With a difference