996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Carbon fiber intake piping

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 01:31 PM
SoKarl is on a distinguished road
Carbon fiber intake piping

Hi all,
Ive been looking everywhere for a piping solution where you have the air filters on top of the intercoolers with no luck.
I used silicon hose but it rubs against the tires so i needed somthing more slim.

This is my first take on CF and I got so satisfied with the outcome that I had to share it

What do you think? My only worry is that it will get really chipped and eventualy crack? Will keep an eye open for that!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	307180  
Old 12-02-2013, 01:45 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
i like it!

Old 12-02-2013, 02:17 PM
mbgt72 has much to be proud ofmbgt72 has much to be proud ofmbgt72 has much to be proud ofmbgt72 has much to be proud ofmbgt72 has much to be proud ofmbgt72 has much to be proud ofmbgt72 has much to be proud ofmbgt72 has much to be proud ofmbgt72 has much to be proud of
Pretty impressive! Love to see more pictures of the overall process and different setup attempted.

Old 12-02-2013, 02:48 PM
Thanks guys! I didnt take any pictures during fab but I will take on the driver side pipe this week so I'll snap some pics in the progress!

Old 12-02-2013, 04:48 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
I like it also,,, air filter higher then others so you don't have to worry about road debris as much..

Old 12-02-2013, 06:14 PM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
nice DIY

Old 12-02-2013, 07:18 PM
Mit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant future
ES Motor sells a carbon fiber, fender well intake kit... Not sure what your flow specs are and costs, but it's priced at $1500 USD

Old 12-03-2013, 08:53 AM
rxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond repute
Would clear coating the pipe add strength and chip resistance to the pipe ? Not sure how much debris gets up there but would take more than debris to crack the pipe IMHO.

Looks amazing

Old 12-03-2013, 08:55 AM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mit_Boost
ES Motor sells a carbon fiber, fender well intake kit... Not sure what your flow specs are and costs, but it's priced at $1500 USD
never seen them release a product for 996tt's where did you see this?

Old 12-03-2013, 03:10 PM
I actually didnt see es motors solution until yesterday. However I dont think it would work on my turbos/headers. Dont know if its the difference between 996/997 but the filter would be "in" the intercooler if i were to use theirs.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	307667  
Old 12-03-2013, 04:19 PM
Giorgos Cayman has a reputation beyond reputeGiorgos Cayman has a reputation beyond reputeGiorgos Cayman has a reputation beyond reputeGiorgos Cayman has a reputation beyond reputeGiorgos Cayman has a reputation beyond reputeGiorgos Cayman has a reputation beyond reputeGiorgos Cayman has a reputation beyond reputeGiorgos Cayman has a reputation beyond reputeGiorgos Cayman has a reputation beyond reputeGiorgos Cayman has a reputation beyond reputeGiorgos Cayman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SoKarl
Hi all,
Ive been looking everywhere for a piping solution where you have the air filters on top of the intercoolers with no luck.
I used silicon hose but it rubs against the tires so i needed somthing more slim.

This is my first take on CF and I got so satisfied with the outcome that I had to share it

What do you think? My only worry is that it will get really chipped and eventualy crack? Will keep an eye open for that!

What is the size of the pipe??

Great work!!

Old 12-03-2013, 05:00 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
For those that have never used a set-up like this, you should be aware that there is very little clearance between the tire and the intake pipe - like 1", if I recall correctly. The biggest potential problem is not so much what it's made of (but that should be a concern as well), but what is going to happen if a large stick or other debris is kicked up and jammed between the wheel and the pipe at typical highway speeds. It can smack and rip that hose right off the turbo in an instant and then you are injesting totally unfiltered air and debris straight into the turbos and engine...that is what I see as the biggest potential downside of this design. I had it on my car at one point for a short time and was extremely uncomfortable with this apect and was relieved when I finally removed it. IMO, putting that pipe in the wheel well and that close to the tire is a bad design from a reliabilty standpoint. Again, just my opinion, but I didn't like the looks of it on my car...

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos