996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

F***ing CA smog

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 11:35 PM
ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !ASLAN Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by skremese
Originally Posted by cjv
Yes, you failed the visual. Changes of having a tester who knows the car is slim to none. What smog shop did you take it to?
Smog 'n Go in Folsom.
Consider taking it to a shop that does mostly normal repairs and maintenance, as opposed to a smog only place. Those guys likely know a ton more what to look for as thats all they do. I've taken mine to the mechanic that changes the oil in my wife's car and passed twice with no issues. They look a bit perplexed every time

Old 12-29-2013, 11:38 PM
Urban has a spectacular aura aboutUrban has a spectacular aura about
Does it say star station only on your paperwork?

Old 12-31-2013, 03:34 PM
PorscheDonTT is on a distinguished road
Hey Skremese,
I had some issues with Kalifornia Smog on my 993. I have a few work arounds on all aftermarket installs to get you car registered. PM me if you are interested.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:13 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
So do they ever have an issue with those fancy red or yellow boost hoses? That screams aftermarket much more than diverter valves.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:58 PM
EZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud of
The shop I take it to is not far from you in El Dorado Hills. He told me that if I had any friends who had trouble passing send them over. It is next to the Purple Place on Green Valley. I had tons of mods done and sent others over and they always passed.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:47 PM
john rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to behold
Re: the questions about what they do or do not allow: The answer is NOTHING. There are absolutely no aftermarket parts for Porsches that I am aware of that have been approved, so anything obvious is a big red flag. If you got away with it in the past, do not presume you will be OK next time. It is very clear that the BAR isn't just going after people with mods, they are going after the techs big time.

FYI: I sent this Contra Costa Times article from earlier this year to my brother [SoCal independent 911 air cooled only tech] and thought you might find this of interest. The most important part is that you are NOT legally required allow them to test you. My question is, if they scan your plate regardless.. are you being flagged?

Surprise! Bay Area drivers have cars examined at random smog checkpoints

By Paul Burgarino

Contra Costa Times
Posted: 05/10/2013 06:29:05 PM PDT | Updated: 6 months ago

OAKLAND -- When signaled over by a police officer while driving along Foothill Boulevard on Thursday morning, Jacky Chang was puzzled.
"I didn't know what happened. I thought maybe I had done something wrong," said Chang, of Oakland.
To his surprise, state officials wanted to check his gold Honda Accord to see if it complied with state emission standards.
The random smog checkpoint was set up last week by the state's Bureau of Automotive Repair, part of the agency's push to bring state air quality into compliance with federal standards. Other roadside stops in the Bay Area were set up earlier in the year in Antioch, Concord and the San Jose area.
California drivers can expect to see the emission checkpoints more often.
Random smog surveys have been conducted since 1985, but budget cuts trimmed the program to just one team in the field. The program received a financing boost in late 2011, so now two teams of inspectors are out on a near-daily basis -- one in Northern California and one in Southern California.
The goal of the inspections is to see what emissions are "actually like in the real world," and if the state's smog reduction programs are working, said Russ Heimerich, a spokesman with the Department of Consumer Affairs, which includes the automotive repair bureau.
Targeted at cars made from 1976 to 2007, the tests are voluntary. They are also not punitive, as drivers do not lose their licenses or rack up fines if they fail.
The tests, which take about 10 minutes, are set up similar to smog checks at a service station. Technicians drive the vehicle up onto an elevated metal dynamometer to check the car's components and systems, indicator lights, ignition timing, gas cap and exhaust recirculation system, said Eric DeBarruel, a program representative with the automotive bureau.
Technicians also perform a "tailpipe test," measuring exhaust emissions by inserting a probe into a vehicle's tailpipe.
"We tell the drivers that would have failed a test, why it failed and what repairs would be recommended," DeBarruel said.
Driver Jasmine Calip and passenger Destiny Anderson were among those frazzled that the tests would make them late -- Calip for an appointment and Anderson for class.
"This is not convenient for me," said Khansay Phoumivong of Oakland, who didn't mind having her car checked, but worried it would make her later for her job in Berkeley as a waitress.
Also, Phoumivong feared the test would mean she would have to get rid of her "older car," though she can't afford a new one.
Tests are set up in cities around the state almost every day, namely in urbanized areas with the poorest air quality and ZIP codes with more than 1,000 vehicles. Heimerich says the Bay Area has only a few days when its air quality does not attain quality standards, but the smog can get swept up by coastal winds and moved into the San Joaquin Valley.
"Our goal is to pick a random location so we can get as random a sample as we can get. We don't want to go to the same location twice," Heimerich said.
The checkpoint can't be on a one-way street and needs a place for people to pull their vehicles in and not impede traffic, he said.
The surveys also are a "check and balance" to make sure smog stations are doing adequate diagnostic tests and repairs, Heimerich said. Tests often confirm that there are a lot of cars on California roads where just enough repairs have been made for them to pass smog checks.
"After they pass, they go right back to polluting," Heimerich said.
Despite not being meant to punish drivers, officials acknowledge that the specter of seeing law enforcement directing traffic and pulling drivers over can be intimidating.
"There were a lot of drivers that were scared," CHP officer Erik Martinez said. "I spent a lot of time trying to calm them down."
"They certainly don't make it seem like it's voluntary. There were no warning markers. Nothing like that at all. It just seemed intimidating," said Mark Cutino of Brentwood.
Cutino did not have to stop at a January checkpoint on Antioch's Lone Tree Way, as officials waived him through after a quick scan of his plates.
Contact Paul Burgarino at 925-779-7164. Follow him at Twitter.com/paulburgarino.
SURPRISE SMOGS

For more information about the state's Roadside Emissions Survey program, go to the bureau's website at www.smogcheck.ca.gov.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:03 PM
WearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by john rice
tests are voluntary. .
I have been asked to pop my hood during the DUI stationary checks they have out here in San Diego. It is NOT voluntary when the CHP asks you to pop your hood, they made it very clear that if I refused that I would be cited and I would have to take my car to a local bar referee.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:06 PM
trbo4wd is a jewel in the roughtrbo4wd is a jewel in the roughtrbo4wd is a jewel in the roughtrbo4wd is a jewel in the rough
John,
Thanks for the post. I had not heard of that before, and will make sure I do not volunteer.
I passed my smog in the Bay Area about 3 months ago. (Local Shell Station)
At the time I had a Giac tune, billet k16, 5 bar, forge hoses and diverters (black). I did put my stock exhaust back on and drove it for a few days to make sure all ready codes were set and engine codes were clear.
After I passed I put in 60# injectors, speedtech exhaust with gutted cats. I have converted to RWD and will put in 997.2 IC's sitting in my Garage. In two years, things will get interesting.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:04 PM
john rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to behold
I hate to turn this into a long thing about CHP/SO/whomever abusing their power. You have to remember that officers in general HATE it when anyone questions their authority. No, DESPISE it..and you if you do that. Forget right/wrong/legal.. it is suddenly a loss of face and ego battle.. that many of the less mature ones will want to win. BUT, is it legal? It is mandatory? How/what you will do in this situation is up to you, but it is important to understand your rights. I worked LE for almost 30 years and it pains me when I see some *** how happens to wear a badge pushing his weight around.

Here is another discussion among some bike guys from 2010. It covers much of this same territory. You can find lots of info on this simply using Google. I am including a few bits that you may find pertinent...

http://sacramentocrotchrockets.com/f...hp/t-2896.html

[Names withheld here by me]
So I was driving down foothills in Roseville today and happened upon seeing my first ever CHP Sponsored Smog Checkpoint. They were actually pulling random vehicles up onto Dyno and connecting equipment to it! I didn’t actually get pulled into the checkpoint but I was pissed off just the same!

Who the f*** is the CHP to stop and detain me for half-hour with-out any kind of probable cause?! What if this checkpoint causes me to be late for work or an important appointment? I then have to let a bunch of random workers into my vehicle without first getting the chance to remove any personal or valuable items from it. I also don’t have the option to choose who I trust to actually perform this kind of work on my vehicle. The workers then have the ability to report anything they find in the vehicle to the CHP on site, which sounds to me like an illegal search of my vehicle.

Can we actually refuse to have this test performed? Without probable cause they have no right to detain me for any period of time!

Anyways I will finish this rant of a post with some pics of a smog checkpoint from down in so-cal that I found the internet. I actually couldn’t find a lot of other information about this infringement of our rights except on other freedom loving forums.

http://images.nikonians.org/gallerie...obile-bar1.jpg
http://images.nikonians.org/gallerie...obile-bar2.jpg
http://images.nikonians.org/gallerie...obile-bar3.jpg
http://images.nikonians.org/gallerie...obile-bar4.jpg
http://images.nikonians.org/gallerie...obile-bar5.jpg
http://images.nikonians.org/gallerie...obile-bar6.jpg
I believe (EDIT "and confirmation is in the post below") that those checkpoints are voluntary and you are not required to submit to their request for Smog testing.
[If you are concerned about this, you might want to review the website for any updates and consider printing out a copy of the following to carry with your registration papers - like I used to do with a related issue.]

Found it...

Link here http://www.autorepair.ca.gov/80_BARR...ns_Survey.html

Roadside Emissions Survey Fact Sheet

The California Department of Consumer Affairs/Bureau of Automotive Repair (DCA/BAR) and California Highway Patrol (CHP) conduct the state's roadside vehicle emissions survey. The survey's purpose is to provide a "real world" profile of emissions from California's cars and trucks. The data is used to help measure California's Smog Check program by determining statewide emissions levels and monitoring those levels over time. In addition, the survey is necessary to demonstrate to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency that California's Smog Check program meets federal emissions reduction requirements for ozone-forming pollution generated by motor vehicles. The study also evaluates various emissions testing procedures. California motorists have been participating in state-operated roadside emissions surveys since 1972.

The study is conducted in phases by four teams, who together visit over 300 locations around the state every year. The sites are chosen by first randomly selecting ZIP codes and then determining sites that are safe for conducting the tests.

At each site, one lane of traffic is coned off for testing equipment. A CHP officer directs randomly-selected vehicles to that lane.

Motorists whose vehicles are selected for testing are greeted by a BAR representative who provides them with information about the survey's purpose and answers any questions they might have. Although participation in the survey is not mandatory; it is critical to the success of the survey. The BAR representative will do everything possible to accommodate motorists who are selected for the survey.

The emissions survey tests vehicles on a treadmill-like device called a dynamometer that is now being used to conduct Smog Check inspections in the state's smoggiest regions. By simulating driving conditions, dynamometers provide the most accurate emissions readings for hydrocarbons (HC), carbon monoxide (CO), and oxides of nitrogen (NOx).

Vehicles are tested solely for the purpose of gathering data. They do not "pass" or "fail" the roadside emissions tests, so these tests add no additional repair requirements for drivers of high-polluting vehicles. The procedure usually lasts less than 10 minutes.

At the conclusion of each test, the driver receives a Vehicle Inspection Report (VIR) detailing the results. The report may not be substituted for a vehicle's official Smog Check.

In some locations, vehicles may also pass by a Remote Sensing Device (RSD), which uses infrared technology to measure vehicle emissions. The data gathered from the RSDs at these sites is also used only for research purposes.
1) you're not required to participate
2) they must have signs alrting drivers to the impending blockage ahead and allow room to divert traffic that does not wish to pass through the 'survey"
3) if they haven't. politely inform them you have been detained in an improperly managed checkpoint for no legal cause and wish to leave IMMEDIATELY; you can state that further detainment will cause hardship if you want but don't volunteer additional info.
if asked you must provide ID to law enforcement personnel ONLY but continue to ask the purpose and "Am I under arrest? Am I being detained?"
4) I am not an attorney but I did spend the night at a Holiday Inn
I think it's interesting that the state doesn't have the money to pay it's bills or to keep schools and hospitals open but it sure has enough money to set up smog survey checkpoints. Our tax dollars at waste......

I bet if you refuse to participate, the CHP will find any number of reasons to detain and search you.
I hope this is informative to those of you who are concerned and I believe it touches on various concerns we all have. Honestly, all I have to do is pull my "retired" ID out and inform them I have other things to do with my time [unless that has changed too! You never know. Always best done with a smile.]

BTW, if you ever feel that someone in LE is treating your unfairly, note their ID and inform them you need to speak to their supervisor. Try to keep your cool or that will blow it. If supervisor isn't any better, note their ID also and get the Watch Commanders name and contact info. Believe me, WC do not like getting calls from unhappy citizens concerning the performance of their officers - and officers do not like it when this happens. I have seen it go directly to the Chief's office [or mayor] and that always gets a response. You have rights.. but they are only as good as your willingness to insure they are honored. Otherwise it is just a very bad joke..on you. Go in peace, my friends.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:13 PM
Arrgh: One other thing. Any time you include a link on a post.. check to insure it still works!! Dead link on the above. Here is the same info in a direct CA.GOV link. [sorry]

http://www.bar.ca.gov/03_BARPrograms...onProgram.html

Old 01-01-2014, 12:18 PM
Banned
996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute
WTFFFF i go tell them to go fawk themselves. Lol i dee a lot of people moving out of Cali very soon.

Originally Posted by john rice
I hate to turn this into a long thing about CHP/SO/whomever abusing their power. You have to remember that officers in general HATE it when anyone questions their authority. No, DESPISE it..and you if you do that. Forget right/wrong/legal.. it is suddenly a loss of face and ego battle.. that many of the less mature ones will want to win. BUT, is it legal? It is mandatory? How/what you will do in this situation is up to you, but it is important to understand your rights. I worked LE for almost 30 years and it pains me when I see some *** how happens to wear a badge pushing his weight around.

Here is another discussion among some bike guys from 2010. It covers much of this same territory. You can find lots of info on this simply using Google. I am including a few bits that you may find pertinent...

http://sacramentocrotchrockets.com/f...hp/t-2896.html

[Names withheld here by me]
So I was driving down foothills in Roseville today and happened upon seeing my first ever CHP Sponsored Smog Checkpoint. They were actually pulling random vehicles up onto Dyno and connecting equipment to it! I didn’t actually get pulled into the checkpoint but I was pissed off just the same!

Who the f*** is the CHP to stop and detain me for half-hour with-out any kind of probable cause?! What if this checkpoint causes me to be late for work or an important appointment? I then have to let a bunch of random workers into my vehicle without first getting the chance to remove any personal or valuable items from it. I also don’t have the option to choose who I trust to actually perform this kind of work on my vehicle. The workers then have the ability to report anything they find in the vehicle to the CHP on site, which sounds to me like an illegal search of my vehicle.

Can we actually refuse to have this test performed? Without probable cause they have no right to detain me for any period of time!

Anyways I will finish this rant of a post with some pics of a smog checkpoint from down in so-cal that I found the internet. I actually couldn’t find a lot of other information about this infringement of our rights except on other freedom loving forums.

http://images.nikonians.org/gallerie...obile-bar1.jpg
http://images.nikonians.org/gallerie...obile-bar2.jpg
http://images.nikonians.org/gallerie...obile-bar3.jpg
http://images.nikonians.org/gallerie...obile-bar4.jpg
http://images.nikonians.org/gallerie...obile-bar5.jpg
http://images.nikonians.org/gallerie...obile-bar6.jpg
I believe (EDIT "and confirmation is in the post below") that those checkpoints are voluntary and you are not required to submit to their request for Smog testing.
[If you are concerned about this, you might want to review the website for any updates and consider printing out a copy of the following to carry with your registration papers - like I used to do with a related issue.]

Found it...

Link here http://www.autorepair.ca.gov/80_BARR...ns_Survey.html

Roadside Emissions Survey Fact Sheet

The California Department of Consumer Affairs/Bureau of Automotive Repair (DCA/BAR) and California Highway Patrol (CHP) conduct the state's roadside vehicle emissions survey. The survey's purpose is to provide a "real world" profile of emissions from California's cars and trucks. The data is used to help measure California's Smog Check program by determining statewide emissions levels and monitoring those levels over time. In addition, the survey is necessary to demonstrate to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency that California's Smog Check program meets federal emissions reduction requirements for ozone-forming pollution generated by motor vehicles. The study also evaluates various emissions testing procedures. California motorists have been participating in state-operated roadside emissions surveys since 1972.

The study is conducted in phases by four teams, who together visit over 300 locations around the state every year. The sites are chosen by first randomly selecting ZIP codes and then determining sites that are safe for conducting the tests.

At each site, one lane of traffic is coned off for testing equipment. A CHP officer directs randomly-selected vehicles to that lane.

Motorists whose vehicles are selected for testing are greeted by a BAR representative who provides them with information about the survey's purpose and answers any questions they might have. Although participation in the survey is not mandatory; it is critical to the success of the survey. The BAR representative will do everything possible to accommodate motorists who are selected for the survey.

The emissions survey tests vehicles on a treadmill-like device called a dynamometer that is now being used to conduct Smog Check inspections in the state's smoggiest regions. By simulating driving conditions, dynamometers provide the most accurate emissions readings for hydrocarbons (HC), carbon monoxide (CO), and oxides of nitrogen (NOx).

Vehicles are tested solely for the purpose of gathering data. They do not "pass" or "fail" the roadside emissions tests, so these tests add no additional repair requirements for drivers of high-polluting vehicles. The procedure usually lasts less than 10 minutes.

At the conclusion of each test, the driver receives a Vehicle Inspection Report (VIR) detailing the results. The report may not be substituted for a vehicle's official Smog Check.

In some locations, vehicles may also pass by a Remote Sensing Device (RSD), which uses infrared technology to measure vehicle emissions. The data gathered from the RSDs at these sites is also used only for research purposes.
1) you're not required to participate
2) they must have signs alrting drivers to the impending blockage ahead and allow room to divert traffic that does not wish to pass through the 'survey"
3) if they haven't. politely inform them you have been detained in an improperly managed checkpoint for no legal cause and wish to leave IMMEDIATELY; you can state that further detainment will cause hardship if you want but don't volunteer additional info.
if asked you must provide ID to law enforcement personnel ONLY but continue to ask the purpose and "Am I under arrest? Am I being detained?"
4) I am not an attorney but I did spend the night at a Holiday Inn
I think it's interesting that the state doesn't have the money to pay it's bills or to keep schools and hospitals open but it sure has enough money to set up smog survey checkpoints. Our tax dollars at waste......

I bet if you refuse to participate, the CHP will find any number of reasons to detain and search you.
I hope this is informative to those of you who are concerned and I believe it touches on various concerns we all have. Honestly, all I have to do is pull my "retired" ID out and inform them I have other things to do with my time [unless that has changed too! You never know. Always best done with a smile.]

BTW, if you ever feel that someone in LE is treating your unfairly, note their ID and inform them you need to speak to their supervisor. Try to keep your cool or that will blow it. If supervisor isn't any better, note their ID also and get the Watch Commanders name and contact info. Believe me, WC do not like getting calls from unhappy citizens concerning the performance of their officers - and officers do not like it when this happens. I have seen it go directly to the Chief's office [or mayor] and that always gets a response. You have rights.. but they are only as good as your willingness to insure they are honored. Otherwise it is just a very bad joke..on you. Go in peace, my friends.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:01 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
this is all less about air quality than it is "control".

Last edited by '02996ttx50; 01-10-2014 at 06:38 AM. Reason: redacted so as to eliminate any perceived anti CARB bias
Old 01-01-2014, 01:11 PM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
If you are AWD, they just have you pass by. The dyno they use is 2WD.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:33 PM
skremese is a jewel in the roughskremese is a jewel in the roughskremese is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Urban
Does it say star station only on your paperwork?
Yep - hadn't noticed that but looked after I saw your post. I found little on smogcheck.ca.gov about why a STAR station would be required. My car has always passed and well within the ranges shows. Maybe just because it's 13 years old now?

I'm guessing the advanced training folks on here referred to for smog techs is probably focused on STAR stations first.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:42 PM
skremese is a jewel in the roughskremese is a jewel in the roughskremese is a jewel in the rough
As some folks pointed out, my car is probably in the system as having failed. So I put the stock diverters back on today. It was actually way easier than when I did the initial install - I dropped the engine 2-3 inches and that increased the clearance between the diverters and firewall enough to actually work on it all. It was great!

When I get around to doing a flash I will probably go the GT2 diverter route so as not to have this issue again. Therefore I have 2 EVOMS 90 degree diverters I need to unload. They were used for about 6 months. If anyone is interested PM me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: F***ing CA smog