996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

F***ing CA smog

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 07:36 PM
skremese is a jewel in the roughskremese is a jewel in the roughskremese is a jewel in the rough
F***ing CA smog

Have an '01 Turbo that is stock except for two EVOMS diverted valves that I put on getting ready for a flash. Had to have it smog checked (every 2 years here I the great Republic of CA) and while it PASSED all instrumented tests the facility failed it as TAMPERED. They said the diverters need an EO number from the state.

Wtf? On a 991 there would be no way to even see that. I could just put the stock diverters back but that's a PITA. Anyone know of a friendly smog place in the Sacramento region?

Last edited by skremese; 12-28-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:46 PM
sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !
I'm yet to get my car inspected where the inspector can even find the engine. They always open the hood, see the empty frunk, close it, and give up.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:00 PM
john rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to behold
The state is getting worse as of this year. The Star Program. They are clamping down on the smog techs big time. I doubt you will find better. The only thing that might help is to paint the bits semi gloss black so they will blend in better and cross your fingers.
Good luck and be careful! [BTW, your best bet is a place that doesn't know too much about the cars. However they are now supplying the techs with a lot more images of what various cars are supposed to look like, so it isn't going to get any better.]

Old 12-28-2013, 08:03 PM
Banned
996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute
What does diverters have to do with smog? Thats just stupid. Lol thats like telling a ricer hey take off your stupid bumble bee exhaust when passing your smog.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:13 PM
rxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond repute
Trying plasti-dip the diverter valve for the test and afterwards you can peel off the layer. Just remember to spray enough for the layer to be thick enough to peel

Old 12-28-2013, 08:30 PM
skremese is a jewel in the roughskremese is a jewel in the roughskremese is a jewel in the rough
Yeah - I've been in CA since '95 and have had my fill. If it wasn't for my wife's family being here I'd have gone somewhere more sane by now.

Not good news that they are arming techs with more info - the guy that caught this was giddy about it. I'm going to take the car to a couple of places on Monday and ask them about it before the test. Don't want to be out another $50. It's just such a PITA to remove and reinstall the diverters.

Regarding the plasti-dip: is this viable for making the EVO diverters look more like stock? Is this a long term solution or will that stuff come off? I don't want to have to do it every 2 years!

Old 12-28-2013, 09:26 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
The car is probably in the computer system as a fail. When you show up at a new shop the alarms will go off.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:34 PM
rxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by skremese
Yeah - I've been in CA since '95 and have had my fill. If it wasn't for my wife's family being here I'd have gone somewhere more sane by now.

Not good news that they are arming techs with more info - the guy that caught this was giddy about it. I'm going to take the car to a couple of places on Monday and ask them about it before the test. Don't want to be out another $50. It's just such a PITA to remove and reinstall the diverters.

Regarding the plasti-dip: is this viable for making the EVO diverters look more like stock? Is this a long term solution or will that stuff come off? I don't want to have to do it every 2 years!
Plasti dip although not a permanent solution is pretty good, depending on how much heat you expose it to like all rubber coating will flake eventually

Old 12-29-2013, 05:09 AM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
my car has been "tampered" with extensively and it passes every time. as long as the codes are all set to "ready". i did have issues with readiness codes, but learned the "reset" protocol.

you picked a lousy test station but i agree the car is probably now in the system as failed. or perhaps it's time sensitive. i know that when i failed i couldn't test the car same day, but went back next day with codes all "ready" and all was ok.

Last edited by '02996ttx50; 01-10-2014 at 06:35 AM. Reason: redacted so as to eliminate any perceived anti CARB bias
Old 12-29-2013, 09:49 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Yes, you failed the visual. Changes of having a tester who knows the car is slim to none. What smog shop did you take it to?

Old 12-29-2013, 10:02 AM
WearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by john rice
The state is getting worse as of this year. The Star Program. They are clamping down on the smog techs big time. I doubt you will find better. The only thing that might help is to paint the bits semi gloss black so they will blend in better and cross your fingers.
Good luck and be careful! [BTW, your best bet is a place that doesn't know too much about the cars. However they are now supplying the techs with a lot more images of what various cars are supposed to look like, so it isn't going to get any better.]
Your kidding me on OBDII cars they are going to do a code read and inspection now. No more tailpipe sniffer. Opens up cams and headwork on a ton of cars that in the past would never be able pass before.

Though in all honesty they should just sniff the car and if if blows clean let it pass irrespective of the modifications.

Viable mods are basically a instant fail now though, they flag my Viper for non factory air filters, not a intake just the filters.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:05 AM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by WearyMicrobe
Viable mods are basically a instant fail now though, they flag my Viper for non factory air filters, not a intake just the filters.
assuming you mean "visual"?! holy cr*p.

Last edited by '02996ttx50; 01-10-2014 at 06:36 AM. Reason: redacted so as to eliminate any perceived anti CARB bias
Old 12-29-2013, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by cjv
Yes, you failed the visual. Changes of having a tester who knows the car is slim to none. What smog shop did you take it to?
Smog 'n Go in Folsom. I hadn't considered being in the computer as failed. Guess that makes sense so I'll just take the time to put the originals back. Maybe I can do just the outside one, the back one is a pain.

It's really BS that they do this visual as with the 991 and other cars there is no way to see the engine. I asked him that and he said they are only required to look at what can be seen without taking anything apart. Ridiculous.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by WearyMicrobe
Though in all honesty they should just sniff the car and if if blows clean let it pass irrespective of the modifications.

The tech at the shop told me the sniff test is too short a duration of time, according to the state, to be fully accurate so a visual inspection is needed as well. It's bullsh1t and a result of a system that rewards people for simply writing laws and regulations regardless of how viable they are. And CARB is one of the worst offenders of this.

Regarding air filters - are they going to start flagging even K&Ns then (and only if you have a sticker saying its a K&N since they said they don't disassemble anything)?

Old 12-29-2013, 10:46 AM
Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !
The reason for the visual inspection has nothing to do with keeping our air clean even though this is what they would have you believe. The state of CA wants to force manufacturers of aftermarket parts to pay a fee to CARB to get their stamp of approval. That's all they are interested in doing is collecting fees. Makes things a pain in the *** for all of us trying to get through a smog inspection with cars that already have clean emissions coming out the tail pipe but no certification from CARB for aftermarket parts.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: F***ing CA smog