996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

HELP - How to remove front drive shaft!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 03:39 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
HELP - How to remove front drive shaft!

I am trying to replace the broken boot and I have removed the inside end of the drive shaft but the outside is not sliding out. Do I just pull harder or am I missing something?

This is what I'm looking at...
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSR.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	316488

Old 01-01-2014, 04:54 PM
King James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond repute
Assuming you took the axel nut off, it won't slide out? You haven't been beating on the end with a hammer have you? What's stopping it from sliding out, does it move at all?

Old 01-01-2014, 04:59 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
Ah, well, the maintenance manual I have (in PDF) didn't mention taking off the axle nut. That sounds like a good suggestion - I'll give that a shot...

Thanks!

Old 01-01-2014, 05:12 PM
King James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond repute
If your trying to pull the whole shaft out you'll need to take off the axel nut. FYI, it's 420ft/lbs on that nut. It's gonna take a lot to take off and as much to put back on.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:53 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
if you clean the grease out very well you willsee a small circlip inside the recirculating ball area. its very hard to see and tough to get out but once removed the ball will come out and you can leave the axle nut attached. the part with the small gears will stay on the car and the rest will come off

Old 01-01-2014, 06:02 PM
OK, I got the shaft out so I can now work on a workbench. Thanks for the tip on the clip - that was going to be my next question.

Old 01-01-2014, 06:20 PM
OK, I'm guessing that I have to squeeze those clips together to get the shaft out, but I'm squeezing like crazy and not getting any movement. (pretty hard with only two hands) Is there another trick I need to know?

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSR2.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	316508

Old 01-01-2014, 06:26 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Slider
OK, I'm guessing that I have to squeeze those clips together to get the shaft out, but I'm squeezing like crazy and not getting any movement. (pretty hard with only two hands) Is there another trick I need to know?

Attachment 316508
if i remember correctly the clip is squeezed and pushed into the housing so the shaft can slide out. then the clip falls out with the rest of the assy. using a vise to hold the axle will help immensly

Old 01-01-2014, 11:21 PM
When I squeeze together, I get no movement at all. I can separate by quite a bit, but either way, the shaft won't budge. Do I have to pound on it with something to get the end off after the clip has been released? Also, does anyone know for sure whether to squeeze or separate?

Old 01-03-2014, 12:09 AM
Thanks for all the help. I documented the effort for the next guy...

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...placement.html

Old 01-03-2014, 07:56 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by King James
If your trying to pull the whole shaft out you'll need to take off the axel nut. FYI, it's 420ft/lbs on that nut. It's gonna take a lot to take off and as much to put back on.
It's 340ft.lb.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
It's 340ft.lb.

Right-o! Thanks for the clarification

Old 01-05-2014, 03:34 PM
NoGaBiker is a splendid one to beholdNoGaBiker is a splendid one to beholdNoGaBiker is a splendid one to beholdNoGaBiker is a splendid one to beholdNoGaBiker is a splendid one to beholdNoGaBiker is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Slider
OK, I'm guessing that I have to squeeze to get the shaft out, but I'm squeezing like crazy and not getting any movement.

Perhaps you're oversqueezing your shaft?