996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Anyone Paint Their Interior Pieces?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 01:08 PM
bmwtmx has a spectacular aura aboutbmwtmx has a spectacular aura about
Anyone Paint Their Interior Pieces?

Looking to possibly paint some interior parts as my interior could use a little life. Finding these parts used in acceptable condition is quite difficult.

I was going to just sand off the OEM finish (whatever it is) and then use an adhesive promoter, then primer, then paint, then clearcoat. Anyone do this with good results? I just don't want to start pulling my dash apart to find that the OEM finish is not meant to be removed.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:16 PM
Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !Vantaredoc Is a GOD !
Watching

Old 01-28-2014, 01:51 PM
gottspd has a spectacular aura aboutgottspd has a spectacular aura about
I'm interested in this as well. It must be doable as bumperplugs.com has colored center consoles (for which they charge a fair bit of money). On Wheeler Dealers on Velocity Channel, Mike went to a place in the UK where they dipped parts into this magic goo (really, it was magic goo) and the parts came out looking like CF. They looked amazing. It was really cool and not expensive. I wish we had that here. I'd love to get my console (which is covered in leather (I think)) redone in that.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:54 PM
jacabean is on a distinguished road
I would recommend buying the parts off ebay and then paint. Everything should work as long as you know what your doing .

Old 01-28-2014, 02:02 PM
Former Vendor
Extreme Dimensions has a spectacular aura aboutExtreme Dimensions has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by gottspd
I'm interested in this as well. It must be doable as bumperplugs.com has colored center consoles (for which they charge a fair bit of money). On Wheeler Dealers on Velocity Channel, Mike went to a place in the UK where they dipped parts into this magic goo (really, it was magic goo) and the parts came out looking like CF. They looked amazing. It was really cool and not expensive. I wish we had that here. I'd love to get my console (which is covered in leather (I think)) redone in that.
Are you referring to hydro dipping?

Id recommend for the OP to look into this as well. There are multiple color/pattern options that can be done.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:02 PM
HIX
HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !
I didn't paint it myself, but bought a console off ebay and just sent it to a local shop that painted my GT2 bumper and asked them to color match it to my exterior. Cost about $100 to do and it looks great.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:22 PM
rxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond repute
I was told today that the plastic prep product is about $40.00 so ad another $100 for paint and prep . Each kit will do two consoles so I'm going to get a buddy to go in on the process

Old 01-28-2014, 04:53 PM
mrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond repute
I painted my center console using a 3 step process of catalyzed primer, color coat and catalyzed clear coat from expresspaint.com. They can match any Porsche color (mine is seal gray). It came out great and saved me a ton of money over the close to 700 dollar cost of a paint job from bumperplugs.com. They do great work and I bought my "horseshoe" upper console surround from them as well as rear bumperettes.
It is a ton of work to do the proper prep but it is worth it! The catalyzed primer has built in agents to bond to the plastic of the console.
There was some orange-peel and I don't know how to color sand so I left it alone and I'm still quite happy with it.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:01 PM
King James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond repute
I painted my center console myself (and my bumperettes), honestly its not that hard at all. Here is my Painting Bumperettes DIY thread which has my methodology in it.

Pull it out, takes about 15 mins
Sand lightly the oem finish to scuff
Prime with high fill primer (sand lightly after 2 coats)
Prime with normal paint primer (sand lightly after 2 coats)
Paint with your color
Clear coat, don't go crazy doing a thick coat, better more that are lighter. Don't over do it.

Wet Sand with 1500 after 4 coats, don't sand it too hard or you'll burn through the clear. Takes a couple days start to finish for all the drying. I'd leave it at least 12 hours before installing to let the clear fully harden. Don't dry in the sun or anything like that, just dry in the garage. (yes I realize mines outside, it was cloudy and only 70ish outside. Don't dry in direct sun light.)

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5747.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	2.48 MB
ID:	326544   Click image for larger version

Name:	silver console.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	326548  

Last edited by King James; 01-28-2014 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:50 PM
HIX
HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !
Shameless plug, but if you don't want to mess up your original console I just listed one for sale in the F/S section. You could paint that and always revert back to the original console if you screw up or want to sell the car.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:20 AM
gottspd has a spectacular aura aboutgottspd has a spectacular aura about
King James, that looks awesome. You should be really proud of your hard work. Nicely done. Would you do it for others?

Old 01-29-2014, 08:18 AM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
not exactly cheap but heres a way to get it all at once. at least it shows what can be painted
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-996-...b1ac8b&vxp=mtr

Old 01-29-2014, 08:34 AM
bmwtmx has a spectacular aura aboutbmwtmx has a spectacular aura about
King James, now I know why you are King! Awesome and just what I was looking for. Once I get my garage finished (been doing a custom build) this is project number....hmm like 4? But I will keep you posted. No pun.

By the way, where did you buy the paint and supplies? I have been looking at www.paintscratch.com but I am open to others.

Last edited by bmwtmx; 01-29-2014 at 08:44 AM.
Old 01-29-2014, 02:53 PM
johnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by gottspd
The company you are talking about is called wicked coatings, there is another company I am going to use near me thats a bit cheaper, it would be easy enough to send the parts over but you would need to remove all the leather and glue otherwise it will get expensive, the process you are describing is called Hydrographic printing, if needs be you could always post to me and I can forward them on and vice versa on the return journey, removing the invoice and making any customs charges smaller !!!

Old 01-29-2014, 03:02 PM
kylehohlier has a spectacular aura aboutkylehohlier has a spectacular aura aboutkylehohlier has a spectacular aura about
awesome job! i've debated whether to do this or the carbon fiber dip. Think i'll try this first!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone Paint Their Interior Pieces?