996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Some "wheel" advice needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 08:39 AM
stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !
Some "wheel" advice needed

So here is my predicament. I bought some 18x9 and 18x11 CCW classics (love the wheel actually)

Turns out they don't fit my car. (long story) The offsets are for a narrowbody. Now the beauty is that I can make them whatever I want since it's a matter of replacing lips and barrels.

First I set out to see what i'd need to make them into 18x8.5 and 18x11.
Problem is...I need to replace it all!!! There are two style barrels and only the newer style have even a chance of fitting over my brakes. If I were to buy new lips and barrels...I'd be in them nearly another 2000! If I buy used I can really decrease that but realistically not less than say 900.

I decided to sell them. I paid 1850 plus shipping. I listed them for 2100 hoping to have some negotiating room to break even.

This morning I was going to put an order in for forgestars in exactly how I like them...

My qualm is what in the world do I do with these CCW? Somewhat easily I could turn them into 18x9 and 18x12 that would fit a widebody with a 10mm spacer in the rear.

I know it's my car and "do what I want" but can anyone give me a perspective i haven't thought of?

If it matters...I have Champion RG5 right now.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:23 AM
Apex Factor is a jewel in the roughApex Factor is a jewel in the roughApex Factor is a jewel in the rough
I'm not quite sure what you are asking since it appears you are just selling the CCWs. It seems the best option for you would be to sell them as is. That being said, from what I have gathered and what I have been told there are very few sets of 18" CCW Classics in WB specifications. Also, CCW will not manufacture any more 18" Classics for the turbo.

FWIW my set (from CCW) are 18x9.5 front and 18x12 rear.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:31 AM
stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !
It's a love hate deal. That's the problem. If I could sell them and break even... I would.

If I have to lose money I still think about building them to my specs. I like projects, I like the wheels. I'd just be in so far.

Really I guess I'm venting.

Thanks for the feedback though. I talked to john. I think he was referring to you as the last set that went out!!

Old 01-29-2014, 11:03 AM
Apex Factor is a jewel in the roughApex Factor is a jewel in the roughApex Factor is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by stilov
It's a love hate deal. That's the problem. If I could sell them and break even... I would.

If I have to lose money I still think about building them to my specs. I like projects, I like the wheels. I'd just be in so far.

Really I guess I'm venting.

Thanks for the feedback though. I talked to john. I think he was referring to you as the last set that went out!!
No problem! Hopefully you get if figured out. Yeah that would not surprise me I know while mine were being made he was telling me he was going to stop producing them in an 18 for the turbo. I purchased my set September of 2011.

Old 01-29-2014, 11:11 AM
It would have been a no brainer for me. I would have changed the front lip to get 8.5. Then get a set of barrels and lips for the rear.

I found a guy selling second hand some stuff but the problem now is my bbk is too big to clear the front barrels. So I'd be replacing everything but the centers!!! Not sure I like them enough to commit that much.

Old 02-01-2014, 01:02 PM
Meh. I was excited to shop For wheels. Now I'm just aggravated

I'd like to stay 18, lighter weight. I like ruger mesh style but no 18s.

I like the bbs, fikse mesh stuff but with a lip 18s look small.

Forgestar f14 seem like quite the bang for the buck, but I really prefer the wider spaced spoke like the hre p40 and ruger style.

Still there's a little voice that says rebuilding the ccw would be fun... But I'm not confident I can clear my brakes and I hate to dump money into them just to see.

Vent over for today. Thx for letting me share.

Old 02-01-2014, 01:41 PM
Whereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond repute
For approximately $1,500, the ForgeStars are bargains! Order the wheels and sell the CCW's. You could buy two sets for different needs or moods.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:41 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
^^ for the 1500 they are ridiculous in a great way. plus you get to pick size/colors/offsets? fageddaboudit

Old 02-01-2014, 10:21 PM
DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Apex Factor
Also, CCW will not manufacture any more 18" Classics for the turbo.
Not true, at least not anymore. I called CCW last week and they will sell you brand new classics in 996TT fitment, but they don't recommend it if you'll be racing on a course.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:32 AM
Yes that is actually true..CCW will make them. They didn't for a long time, but John told me they recently had made some developments and can do them. That is the route I would have gone because to make these ones work, I'd be into them about the same as buying a new set.

I've got a guy very interested so i hope he comes through, especially since I'm giving him a smoking deal.

I think i've narrowed it down... all 18in

Forgestar F14
Fikse FM10 (I'd probably refinish them to something cool)
BBS LM (again I'd refinish them)
I'd say a new set of CCW, but I'm still thinking even the newer barrels there is a chance they wont clear my brakes.

The only other type I seem to like is the HRE p40 style, like the RUger mesh...I'm not gonna pay HRE prices and the Ruger is only available in 19.

Any other suggestions? I really like the spokes a bit more spread than what the F14 does.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:07 PM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
What about OZs and how big are your brakes?

Old 02-04-2014, 11:52 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Sell the CCW and stop worrying about breaking even. The extra expense of building the wheels is going to more than offset any loss on the sale. Plus as you've already discovered, there are issues with using them anyway, and you may not be able to make them work. I like a project as much as the next guy, but this sounds like a project doomed to fail. Just sell them and move on. I'm betting worst case you can get within a couple of hundred dollars of breaking even anyway.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:44 AM
TXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud ofTXTurbo996 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by stilov
I think i've narrowed it down... all 18in

Forgestar F14
Fikse FM10 (I'd probably refinish them to something cool)
BBS LM (again I'd refinish them)
I'd say a new set of CCW, but I'm still thinking even the newer barrels there is a chance they wont clear my brakes.

The only other type I seem to like is the HRE p40 style, like the RUger mesh...I'm not gonna pay HRE prices and the Ruger is only available in 19.

Any other suggestions? I really like the spokes a bit more spread than what the F14 does.
Check out the BBS RS-GT's. They are made in stock sizes, but you can also get 18x8.5 for the front. I wish I had that instead of 18x8, so I could run wider tires than 235, but they'll do.

The perfect wheel for me would have been the HRE P40's, but they didn't come in 18", so the RSGT's were a good second choice for me.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:45 AM
ccw wheels are tentatively sold.

I have struck a deal on some new wheels also.

I'll know 100% after today on both.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:59 AM
Ccw done
I bought some forgelines. They're on the car now

Champions are for sale.