996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Asking Price vs. KBB/Edmunds/NADA values

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 08:24 PM
Highlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond repute
Asking Price vs. KBB/Edmunds/NADA values

I'm in the market for a lightly used 2001-2004 996TT. Unbelievable performance for the money right now!

What is it with prices though? They are all over the map!
I'm seeing asking prices over $13k more than KBB. The most egregious example is a private seller here in CA asking $52k for an '03 with 50k miles. KBB estimates the value of that vehicle to be ~$39k.
I understand private sellers can list any asking price they please, but dealers? If I were to trade a car, they'd be quoting the gospel of their NADA price guide for the trade-in value. However, even the dealers are asking $5-$10k more than any value I can find online. KBB/Edmunds and NADA agree pretty well with each other.

I'm not really looking for an answer, more taking the opportunity to rant

Feel free to chime in...

Old 03-20-2014, 08:32 PM
rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !
The market is based on what people will pay and people will pay a goodly amount for a clean 996tt. I believe they are way under priced.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:38 PM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
No they aren't. People will indeed pay a premium for a really nice low mileage example, but there aren't many of those out there. Most others will sell at $40k or less.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:48 PM
pumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond reputepumptech has a reputation beyond repute
Yeh I agree there is a big spread. I'm getting mine ready to sell and was pleasantly surprised to see the pricing.

Keep in mind these are not MASS produced Ford mustangs and are nearly super cars categorically. It's still a supply and demand issue. There are fewer and fewer of these available particularly in low mileage and/or immaculate condition, yet demand has likely gone up as they get cheaper. Plus anything more than a fender bender ends up in an insurance "total" because the price to fix is still porsche dependent. Again, supply is down over time.

Most are being highly modded and very few are left in stockish condition. I don't think KBB is capable of following this market accurately. These cars bottomed already and have begun to appreciate as supply goes down. KBB is at best lagging on this aspect. Just my opinion.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:26 PM
LSACadzilla has much to be proud ofLSACadzilla has much to be proud ofLSACadzilla has much to be proud ofLSACadzilla has much to be proud ofLSACadzilla has much to be proud ofLSACadzilla has much to be proud ofLSACadzilla has much to be proud ofLSACadzilla has much to be proud ofLSACadzilla has much to be proud ofLSACadzilla has much to be proud of
Those guides are made for Camrys and Accords and even then it is a guide. Never accurate on older limited production specialty cars. There are too many factors that guide price such as history, maint, miles and condition.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:03 PM
DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !
There is so much variation in what is on the market that KBB just can't capture.

For example, I bought my car in December. It is an 2002 X50 car with almost $50,000 in factory options. On top of that it has a thorough service history, the paint is in showroom condition, and the upgrades are tasteful and high quality.

KBB valued the car in the mid $30s, I happily paid $52k for a car that was leaps and bounds above the other cars on the market.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:36 AM
Highlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the input. I did notice that there is a significant premium being asked for lower mileage vehicles.
I'll keep searching for "my" car.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:24 PM
IITURBO is a name known to allIITURBO is a name known to allIITURBO is a name known to allIITURBO is a name known to allIITURBO is a name known to allIITURBO is a name known to all
I tried using sites like kbb and nada but they weren't very useful as 95% of the turbos on the market were atleast $10k more in asking. I just followed what the asking prices across the board were and made a decision based on that. I paid $46k for an 03' TT with 25k miles and about $10k in fab speed bolt ons and tune. Granted, the dealer I bought mine from started out with a $54k asking price, but trying to sell a Porsche in probably one of the worst winters didn't really help him either.

Old 03-24-2014, 01:50 PM
tscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to beholdtscales is a splendid one to behold
Don't discount a higher mileage car either. I bought my 2004 X50 in December of 2008. It had 54K miles and I paid less than $52K out the door -- over four years ago.

Not it is sitting north of 90K miles. Yes, there have been repairs, but not exceptional. About half of those for my 2004 E55. All in, even repairing the hydraulics for the top and wing, I've put in less than $4000 in repairs.

Fantastic cars.

Old 03-24-2014, 05:55 PM
DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !
Filtering to the sold/completed listings on eBay motor is another good input at gauging current market value.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by DSCOFF
Filtering to the sold/completed listings on eBay motor is another good input at gauging current market value.
Great idea. I'll do that!
Thanks!

Old 03-24-2014, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by Highlander
Great idea. I'll do that!
Thanks!
It is still only one input into the bigger picture. You have to factor in the types of sellers/cars that make it to eBay and also the type of buyers that resort to eBay. With a car like the 996TT I'd say that pristine, no stories/truly as described cars are sold off eBay and at higher prices.

Its a process of scouring cars.com, eBay, and most importantly forums to come up with current pricing.

Old 03-24-2014, 08:42 PM
racer959 will become famous soon enoughracer959 will become famous soon enough
When it comes to these type of cars you can throw the books away.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:09 AM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
i agree. the "books" are useless. 996 turbo's are worth anywhere btw 27.5 and 55k. have at it lol

Old 03-25-2014, 07:36 AM
cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !
supra guys laugh in peoples faces as soon as kbb comes up.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Asking Price vs. KBB/Edmunds/NADA values