996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Exhaust and Tuning question.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 12:23 PM
Jsun is a glorious beacon of lightJsun is a glorious beacon of lightJsun is a glorious beacon of lightJsun is a glorious beacon of lightJsun is a glorious beacon of light
Arrow Exhaust and Tuning question.

Hey guys,

Car is: Bone stock, 6spd, k16's, not tuned

So I used to have a Fabspeed Maxflow v3 200cel catted exhaust on my 996tt (not tuned) used it for about one summer and a bit of this summer, no issues everything ran great. I found the Fabspeed a bit quite for my liking. So now i'm going to purchase a 3" catless x-pipe from Unobtainium Welding here in canada. its these guys.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...e-exhaust.html

So here are my questions:
1. Can I run a catless 3" x-pipe for the time being on the stock ECU till I decide on a tuner and have the car flashed later?
2. Is there any difference in getting 3" piping over 2.5" piping if i'm not looking to make big power? (future goal at most would be to achieve 500awhp)
3. Other than a CEL for cat inefficiency (prob gonna use O2 extenders) is there any adverse effects of no tune on a 3" uncatted xpipe?

I understand that tuning the car is my best option, and i will get the best out of the exhaust modification. I just want to hold off for now till i decide exactly what power adders i want to do then get the tune for everything.

Any info would be great, thanks guys.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:36 PM
Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !
Why would you go so big (in both diameter and dollars) on the exhaust, catless even, if your goals are to top out at 500awhp?

-V

Old 07-29-2014, 12:43 PM
stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !
probably because that exhaust looks SICK!

I'd love to hear it in person to see how those "j pipes" did with the drone.

I ended up just building a 3in x pipe, but it drones pretty good. And because I can.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:49 PM
Jsun is a glorious beacon of lightJsun is a glorious beacon of lightJsun is a glorious beacon of lightJsun is a glorious beacon of lightJsun is a glorious beacon of light
Well that's why I wanted to know if 3" or 2.5" would be better for my power goals. I really love the sound of the x-pipe, 2k shipped CDN for an x-pipe is that not reasonable? Decided against the cats for now, since it adds a significant cost and they change the sound. However 500awhp is kinda a short term goal as funds increase i can see the power goal going up another 100awhp.

Old 07-29-2014, 12:53 PM
@stilov for now the xpipe im looking at having made does not have the Helmholtz resonators, just a simple x-pipe design no cats no resonators. I came from loud droning subaru's i'm assuming that your set up should be around the same loudness/droning? I did however inquire about pricing on that exact setup, if it seems reasonable i might pull the trigger on that system.

Old 07-29-2014, 01:44 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
your car needs good tune to go along with that and possibly data logged as well... catless with throw a code... 02s extenders are hit or miss...
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 07-29-2014, 01:50 PM
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
your car needs good tune to go along with that and possibly data logged as well... catless with throw a code... 02s extenders are hit or miss...
markski
Marski, for the time being, say for the next 2 months. will it ok to drive the car normally if I have the catless x-pipe in there with no tune?

Old 07-29-2014, 01:52 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jsun
Marski, for the time being, say for the next 2 months. will it ok to drive the car normally if I have the catless x-pipe in there with no tune?
you should be ok... it will throw a cel...

click to view

Old 07-29-2014, 01:57 PM
you should be ok... it will throw a cel...
thanks markski!

Marski from a tuning perspective, is there any thought on whether or not i should bother going to 3" tubing or just sick with 2.5" based on my power goals?

Old 07-29-2014, 02:07 PM
Basic Sponsor
thanks markski!

Marski from a tuning perspective, is there any thought on whether or not i should bother going to 3" tubing or just sick with 2.5" based on my power goals?
Depends on how much 2.5" is there. I for example , make all the piping 3" but the ID of mufflers may be 2.5" or 3" or a combo of both etc. I use 4 mufflers. Mind you, If you do a 3" exhaust but your tips are oem size ID - 2.1" then what's the point of doing a full 3" exhaust.
On and on. Some sell 3" exhausts but make you re use your oem tips. That is a not 3".
You follow me ?

Old 07-29-2014, 02:11 PM
Depends on how much 2.5" is there. I for example , make all the piping 3" but the ID of mufflers may be 2.5" or 3" or a combo of both etc. I use 4 mufflers. Mind you, If you do a 3" exhaust but your tips are oem size ID - 2.1" then what's the point of doing a full 3" exhaust.
On and on. Some sell 3" exhausts but make you re use your oem tips. That is a not 3".
You follow me ?
Ya totally following you. for this particular system they will include their own tips. it would either be a 3" or 2.5" all the way through to i believe a 3.5" slant cut tip. Since the size of the tubing will be consistent though out, would you say 3" or 2.5" will either size increase or decrease noise? No resonators/mufflers

Old 07-29-2014, 02:30 PM
Basic Sponsor
Ya totally following you. for this particular system they will include their own tips. it would either be a 3" or 2.5" all the way through to i believe a 3.5" slant cut tip. Since the size of the tubing will be consistent though out, would you say 3" or 2.5" will either size increase or decrease noise? No resonators/mufflers
3" will be louder. Not sure what your after but your girlfriend will not like. Lol.

Old 07-29-2014, 02:34 PM
3" will be louder. Not sure what your after but your girlfriend will not like. Lol.
girlfriend will conform or i will upgrade that too hahaha Thanks again Markski. I will be in touch with you regarding my power path in the near future

Old 07-29-2014, 02:35 PM
Basic Sponsor
LOL

sounds good.. enjoy..
markski

click to view

Old 07-29-2014, 02:54 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !

I thought girls liked the bigger the better?