996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Updated Turbos,Intercooler,Exhaust and Tune

Old 09-01-2014, 09:44 AM
Fastimes is a glorious beacon of lightFastimes is a glorious beacon of lightFastimes is a glorious beacon of lightFastimes is a glorious beacon of lightFastimes is a glorious beacon of light
Updated Turbos,Intercooler,Exhaust and Tune

This is my first post here and I am the proud owner of my first Porsche a 2004 996 X50 Turbo. After doing some research and many texts and emails to Sam from By Design and talking to my mechanic Ian from Hockley Autosports we came up with a Plan. We installed Tial alpha 30(3071) tuned headers an Unobtainium 3" Exhaust (cats only and drone tubes) Forge Intercoolers a Proto Tune and 80lb injectors. Being a car with 100,000km(60K) I was a little nervous with the upgrade blowing through the clutch, head gaskets, etc. So far so good and man did this combo wake the car up, all the guys at the garage were more than amazed at the power and pull. On the first couple pulls we noticed boost was peaking out at 1.5 (a little more than expected and we will be reducing this to 1 or 1.1 bar) I am still being cautious due to miles on the vehicle and assuming the original clutch is in it(new clutch this winter)the sound of the three inch Unobtainium exhaust puts a big smile on my face at all revs including wot not to mention the turbos spooling, anyway thanks to Ian and big thanks to Sam for all is patience dealing with a Porsche newbie with lots of questions, more to come next year intake, Y pipe, suspension.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0289.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	276.4 KB
ID:	400555   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0268.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	335.8 KB
ID:	400556   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0895.JPG
Views:	272
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	400558  
Old 09-01-2014, 10:14 AM
gclasse has a reputation beyond reputegclasse has a reputation beyond reputegclasse has a reputation beyond reputegclasse has a reputation beyond reputegclasse has a reputation beyond reputegclasse has a reputation beyond reputegclasse has a reputation beyond reputegclasse has a reputation beyond reputegclasse has a reputation beyond reputegclasse has a reputation beyond reputegclasse has a reputation beyond repute
Nice setup you got there... exhaust looks amazing.. Enjoy!!

Old 09-01-2014, 10:17 AM
stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !stilov Is a GOD !
Ya, get ready for a clutch. A lot less power has destroyed the stock clutch.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:35 AM
SpdYlwGT2 is a name known to allSpdYlwGT2 is a name known to allSpdYlwGT2 is a name known to allSpdYlwGT2 is a name known to allSpdYlwGT2 is a name known to allSpdYlwGT2 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Fastimes
This is my first post here and I am the proud owner of my first Porsche a 2004 996 X50 Turbo. After doing some research and many texts and emails to Sam from By Design and talking to my mechanic Ian from Hockley Autosports we came up with a Plan. We installed Tial alpha 30(3071) tuned headers an Unobtainium 3" Exhaust (cats only and drone tubes) Forge Intercoolers a Proto Tune and 80lb injectors. Being a car with 100,000km(60K) I was a little nervous with the upgrade blowing through the clutch, head gaskets, etc. So far so good and man did this combo wake the car up, all the guys at the garage were more than amazed at the power and pull. On the first couple pulls we noticed boost was peaking out at 1.5 (a little more than expected and we will be reducing this to 1 or 1.1 bar) I am still being cautious due to miles on the vehicle and assuming the original clutch is in it(new clutch this winter)the sound of the three inch Unobtainium exhaust puts a big smile on my face at all revs including wot not to mention the turbos spooling, anyway thanks to Ian and big thanks to Sam for all is patience dealing with a Porsche newbie with lots of questions, more to come next year intake, Y pipe, suspension.
Very nice and you will have to post come videos.

Old 09-01-2014, 12:43 PM
rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !
Curious how many miles on car. Nice set up.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:39 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
So glad you are enjoying it and you love it coming from some big V8 stuff.

The exhaust looks very nice. I have not seen their resonator design. Details please and yes a video!

Old 09-02-2014, 01:33 PM
wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !
Clutch FTW

Old 09-02-2014, 02:10 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Great,,Congrats..
I hope you enjoy it.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:17 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
get that boost under control.. thats alot for low octane Canadian fuel... be careful

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 09-02-2014, 10:52 PM
The Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
get that boost under control.. thats alot for low octane Canadian fuel... be careful
94oct pump available up here.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:09 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by The Pork Hunt
94oct pump available up here.
I know about the shell 94 but did you know it has less octane then your 91 ? It does and it's really poor gas. Ask your tuner he will tell you the same. As a matter of fact he will tell you to run 91 octane.
Markski

Old 09-02-2014, 11:17 PM
993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !993GT Is a GOD !
no experience with Shell 94, but I do think here in Ontario the Petro-Can(Sunoco) 94oct does have a higher knock-resistance than our ethanol-free Shell 91oct(which is my regular fill)...the Shell 91oct works better for most but some pushing the envelope seem to have a smoother on-boost experience with the 94oct...
U.S.A. does have better fuel overall...

Old 09-02-2014, 11:40 PM
fat911 is a jewel in the roughfat911 is a jewel in the roughfat911 is a jewel in the rough
Nice setup!

Better start saving for a clutch though as many have said.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:40 PM
The Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond reputeThe Pork Hunt has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
I know about the shell 94 but did you know it has less octane then your 91 ? It does and it's really poor gas. Ask your tuner he will tell you the same. As a matter of fact he will tell you to run 91 octane.
Markski
I don't know about that, I've run copious amounts of logs over the years when I self-tuned my b5 s4. I even ran many tests between both the shell 91 and petro / mohawk 94, and with 94 the cars correction factors would visibly drop and ultimately the overall timing would increase every time. Many others who've done the same testing have come to the same conclusion, just saying.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:45 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by The Pork Hunt
I don't know about that, I've run copious amounts of logs over the years when I self-tuned my b5 s4. I even ran many tests between both the shell 91 and petro / mohawk 94, and with 94 the cars correction factors would visibly drop and ultimately the overall timing would increase every time. Many others who've done the same testing have come to the same conclusion, just saying.
I've seen it with my own eyes on tunes. My point is : OP needs to call proto and get the answer. I know what it will be.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Updated Turbos,Intercooler,Exhaust and Tune