996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Took the iPad Mini Dash Install Plunge

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 02:52 PM
Because_R4CEC4R has much to be proud ofBecause_R4CEC4R has much to be proud ofBecause_R4CEC4R has much to be proud ofBecause_R4CEC4R has much to be proud ofBecause_R4CEC4R has much to be proud ofBecause_R4CEC4R has much to be proud ofBecause_R4CEC4R has much to be proud ofBecause_R4CEC4R has much to be proud of
Took the iPad Mini Dash Install Plunge

After some looking around at different Nav options I finally landed on doing the iPad Mini install. And while I still need the matte screen protector to cut glare, an adapter for the antenna and a new amp (thank you Porsche for requiring a damn code for the amp) the install is largely done.

Couldn't be happier.

Threw on a jailbreak to ensure it sleeps as soon as the power is cut and wakes when the power comes back on so it's pretty clean. It's my first install so it's a little rough around the edges but still looks pretty good and I'd highly recommend it for anyone.

Old 09-14-2014, 03:16 PM
03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute
Wow! Looks awesome!! lol the mini looks huge in there!

Old 09-14-2014, 03:22 PM
Because_R4CEC4R has much to be proud ofBecause_R4CEC4R has much to be proud ofBecause_R4CEC4R has much to be proud ofBecause_R4CEC4R has much to be proud ofBecause_R4CEC4R has much to be proud ofBecause_R4CEC4R has much to be proud ofBecause_R4CEC4R has much to be proud ofBecause_R4CEC4R has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 03EvoIII
Wow! Looks awesome!! lol the mini looks huge in there!
That's what she said?

Ya it's a solid size. Certainly isn't a 7" Kenwood. The important thing is it looks almost factory, save my poor dremel skills. The early generation fascia actually allows you to remove it by popping off the two side pieces that house the buttons. I wouldn't do it daily but if you need to do something with it, it's easier than having to remove the whole assembly again.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:05 PM
6spol_sj will become famous soon enough6spol_sj will become famous soon enough
I love the install. It dramatically improves the dated look dash of the 996. If and when I get mine next year, I'll be doing the same.

Old 09-14-2014, 08:19 PM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
Looks awesome

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 09-14-2014, 08:22 PM
DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !
Can you post a picture from a few different angles and with the screen off as well? Install looks clean

Old 09-14-2014, 09:05 PM
Reno_911 has a spectacular aura aboutReno_911 has a spectacular aura aboutReno_911 has a spectacular aura about
Cleeeeeaaan....good job, it looks great!

Old 09-14-2014, 10:19 PM
wastedyolk is on a distinguished road
looks great, can any details on install? I just put a Pioneer 8000Nex in, why didn't I just think of this lol.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:56 PM
Saint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud of
Which app is that?

Old 09-15-2014, 12:05 AM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
Looks awesome , on the display screen , is there special aps or whatever to split the screen up with the nav and what seems to be engine data?

Old 09-15-2014, 04:35 AM
Fasoole has a brilliant futureFasoole has a brilliant futureFasoole has a brilliant futureFasoole has a brilliant futureFasoole has a brilliant futureFasoole has a brilliant futureFasoole has a brilliant futureFasoole has a brilliant futureFasoole has a brilliant futureFasoole has a brilliant futureFasoole has a brilliant future
you better give as detailed review more photos and parts numbers!!!

looks nice and clean

Old 09-15-2014, 10:24 AM
I'll grab some more photos a bit later, I pull some of the pannels off to show how it was done. Believe it or not with the exception of the M680 amp needing to be replaced it all went pretty smooth. If you're better with a dremel than I am it'll look flawless.

The app that's showing there is called "Drive Assist" and is available on the app store for $3.99. Well worth it for how clean it looks.

That iPad Mini is the base wifi only which doesn't do GPS so you'll need a GPS receiver or to pay for a $5 app that lets you leach the GPS from another device. I suggest just going with the LTE version. Skip the retina display as you aren't close enough to notice the pixels so that'll save you a few bucks. Now you will want to Jailbreak it. Jailbreak allows you to download the software that has the iPad react to power coming in. When I power off the car the iPad screen turns off; when I start the car it comes on instantly and opens Drive Assist. This makes it seamless and OEM like. In fact assuming you don't leave your car long enough to have the battery drain it will activate faster than any other nav as it is always on. Remember, you won't have easy access to the buttons so this step is important.

For the receiver I chose the Pioneer MVH-X560BT. This was due to the fact it doesn't use CDs (and who does anymore) which makes the unit half as long to allow for the wires behind it and makes it lighter (weight reduction bro!). This receiver also has 200,000 colours so matching the dash for OEM look is pretty easy and it has a USB in the back capable of charging the iPad. It's also designed to work well with iPods etc so it's seamless in that regard.

My Turbo is the 2001 so the head unit is a three piece job as opposed to a single unit. This makes pulling the iPad out easier as the two side pieces that house the buttons can be popped out.

In order to have it fit in as clean as possible I dremeled the black bottom section pretty deep and as wide as the iPad itself. This is where it will cradle into. You want it deep enough that there is pressure on the top section (where the vents are). This will hold it mostly in place but still allow you to slide it out. The side sections need to be slimmed down to make room for the iPad and there are some brackets around the wiper control and the plug port. Take it right up to the metal on both sides so it will fit flush.

So total parts required:
1x iPad Mini LTE (will need to Jailbreak) - $450
1x Stereo Receiver (Pioneer MVH-X560BT) - $160
1x Wire Harness kit (http://amzn.to/1qEWJWn) - $4
1x Antenna Adapter (http://amzn.to/1uAzxIX) - $10

Total cost = $624+Tax and Shipping (in Canada)

Recommended Software so far:

Drive Assist (which you see there) - $4
Harry's Lap Timer - $20
TuneIn Radio - Free
Google Maps - Free

I'll try to do a full write up in the next few days, I was a little apprehensive that I was biting off more than I could chew... but truth is this was all pretty easy.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:55 AM
rxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond repute
first off, good looking install. Scosche had released a kit about a year ago for the iPad mini but was advised to retract it from all the car deck mfg ....for obvious reason.

So I saw this today. Alpine is saying available at the end of october to the general public and limited release to their high volume dealer end of September.
http://carstereochick.com/blog/2014/...stereo-ilx007/
Definitely an alternative to an iPad in the dash.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:02 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
That turned out great! Nice job on the install.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:57 PM
PUN42 is on a distinguished road
This is brilliant! Thanks for the info. Waiting for your full write-up.

I was about to get myself an Alpine INE-928 8-inch touch screen. Now I await your full write-up to decide whether to go with the Alpine or the iPad Mini.

But of course, the iPad Mini looks much better, and has many more function than the Alpine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1422366872.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	401984 Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3883590066.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	368.8 KB
ID:	401985

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Took the iPad Mini Dash Install Plunge