996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

ported stock headers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 11:51 AM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
ported stock headers

Who does port work on stock headers or sell ported ones?
Thanks.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:10 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
In Stock

Old 09-15-2014, 01:20 PM
03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute
How bad are they...that they need to be ported? Any pics of the inside of the stockers?

Old 09-15-2014, 01:20 PM
mdd
mdd is on a distinguished road
It's a pretty easy DIY job. You need a die grinder with a good carbide tip and about an hour or two of patient grinding.

You are really just cleaning up the sloppy welds on the inside of each pipe where they attach to the header flange and in the collector on the other end.

Once you are finished all of the grinding, make sure to clean out the pipes really good to remove all of the metal bits. A garden hose and dragging a rag though works good. You don't want the metal bits to find their way into the turbos, cats and O2 sensors.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:29 PM
03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute
I am curious if the ported headers provide any performance gains??

Old 09-15-2014, 01:44 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 03EvoIII
I am curious if the ported headers provide any performance gains??
According to Kevin at UMW they do. I did mine when I installed his turbos. It's an easy enough 2hr DIY that it's worth doing. Can't hurt. I would say that by grinding down the welds I made the ports about 10% larger. In many cases the excess welds are pretty substantial. You can buy a Die grinder at Harbor Freight for $40 and then you will need a good carbide tip. That's the key....

Old 09-15-2014, 02:05 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Agreed. If you have the means to do it. Just wear goggles and shoes you don't like.
Some shops will do it for some labor time. Be sure not to grind through the welds, just smooth them almost flush.

Old 09-15-2014, 02:17 PM
Think I'll give this a try over the winter. I sold my die grinder and carbide bits though a couple summers ago! DOH!!

Old 09-15-2014, 03:29 PM
mdd
mdd is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 03EvoIII
Think I'll give this a try over the winter. I sold my die grinder and carbide bits though a couple summers ago! DOH!!
For those with a credible history here or the other forum, I'd be willing to loan you my air powered die grinder and a couple of carbide bits to get the job done. Just cover the shipping both ways and return it promptly.
It's just a cheap Harbor Freight model that I bought to do the job and haven't needed it since. I also have a couple of used bits that Kevin@UMW had retired and given to me when I did mine. Still a lot of life left in them.

Old 09-15-2014, 03:49 PM
^^ VERY nice offer of you!!

Old 09-15-2014, 03:58 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Its a good upgrade and its cheap if you can do it on your own. But, if you port too much you will weaken the welds and they will crack- I seen it first hand. I actually welded it all around on the outside.....

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 09-15-2014, 04:03 PM
Steve B. is a splendid one to beholdSteve B. is a splendid one to beholdSteve B. is a splendid one to beholdSteve B. is a splendid one to beholdSteve B. is a splendid one to beholdSteve B. is a splendid one to beholdSteve B. is a splendid one to beholdSteve B. is a splendid one to behold
Sambo... Do you sell ported stockers and take the core exchange? I'd be willing to do that this winter when the car is in hibernation.

Old 09-15-2014, 05:02 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Hi,, I have seen some early model ones have a lot of weld build up and then I have seen late model ones,,like mine, with little build up..
Do yourself a favor and do a Search,, good info to be had..
Good Luck

Last edited by johnspeed; 09-15-2014 at 11:16 PM.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:27 PM
p556guy has much to be proud ofp556guy has much to be proud ofp556guy has much to be proud ofp556guy has much to be proud ofp556guy has much to be proud ofp556guy has much to be proud ofp556guy has much to be proud ofp556guy has much to be proud ofp556guy has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by johnspeed
Hi,, I have seen some early model ones have a lot of weld build up and then I have seen late model ones,,like mine, with little build up..
Do yourself a favor and do a Search,, good info to be had..
Good Luck
This.

Seems the early years had more weld material you could remove. Seems the factory sorted it out in later years.

I would definitely send the set to swaintech for coating.

Old 09-15-2014, 06:44 PM
Former Vendor
Yeah the 997 units look much better. Same part and #

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ported stock headers