996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

replacement of non Bose speakers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 08:49 AM
steve.rinaldi is a splendid one to beholdsteve.rinaldi is a splendid one to beholdsteve.rinaldi is a splendid one to beholdsteve.rinaldi is a splendid one to beholdsteve.rinaldi is a splendid one to beholdsteve.rinaldi is a splendid one to beholdsteve.rinaldi is a splendid one to behold
replacement of non Bose speakers

I have a non Bose system and the head unit is replaced but still lacking in my opinion. I really want some base but think just the speakers themselves need to be upgraded. I read some old posts and apparently have been out of touch with audio since I didn't recognize the names. Anyway any suggestions on what works well and also what is a good base option? I saw the JL Audio stealth box without an amp is like $1500!

I am still budgeting for my tune and exhaust but this is up on the list as well.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:29 AM
p556guy has much to be proud ofp556guy has much to be proud ofp556guy has much to be proud ofp556guy has much to be proud ofp556guy has much to be proud ofp556guy has much to be proud ofp556guy has much to be proud ofp556guy has much to be proud ofp556guy has much to be proud of
I would tackle this in 2 steps if you're on a budget.

First replace the interior speakers. The amplifier from your HU might be enough to make you happy powering those. If you're looking for just a little bit more boom add a self-powered subwoofer (something like an infitini basslink or bazzoka tube).

You could probably tap the rear speaker for a signal to the powered sub. Might even be able to get power from the rear wiper motor (though check the amperage and your load).

At that point if you aren't happy with the sound output you can do some extra wiring and add an amp to power the speakers. The newer class of digital amps are tiny. You can get a 4 channel refurb kenwood with a footprint smaller than a sheet of paper for about $180.

Old 11-01-2014, 01:16 PM
steve.rinaldi is a splendid one to beholdsteve.rinaldi is a splendid one to beholdsteve.rinaldi is a splendid one to beholdsteve.rinaldi is a splendid one to beholdsteve.rinaldi is a splendid one to beholdsteve.rinaldi is a splendid one to beholdsteve.rinaldi is a splendid one to behold
I loved the idea of the JL steathbox but for $1500 without a sub seems a bit ridiculous.

Originally Posted by p556guy
I would tackle this in 2 steps if you're on a budget.

First replace the interior speakers. The amplifier from your HU might be enough to make you happy powering those. If you're looking for just a little bit more boom add a self-powered subwoofer (something like an infitini basslink or bazzoka tube).

You could probably tap the rear speaker for a signal to the powered sub. Might even be able to get power from the rear wiper motor (though check the amperage and your load).

At that point if you aren't happy with the sound output you can do some extra wiring and add an amp to power the speakers. The newer class of digital amps are tiny. You can get a 4 channel refurb kenwood with a footprint smaller than a sheet of paper for about $180.

Old 11-01-2014, 01:34 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
Our cars have a perfect spot if you are willing to do a little work. I have an Alpine PDX-5 in the stock CD position. It has enough power to drive a couple of 6.5 inch subs.

Old 11-01-2014, 03:16 PM
That looks awesome and it looks expensive. I sent you a PM on another question.

Originally Posted by Slider
Our cars have a perfect spot if you are willing to do a little work. I have an Alpine PDX-5 in the stock CD position. It has enough power to drive a couple of 6.5 inch subs.

Old 11-01-2014, 07:02 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
Yeah, carbon fibre looks expensive but I did it myself. It's probably $40 worth of CF and other parts.

I made a kind of DIY here... http://comtech.ws/Porsche911/DIY/SubBox/911SubBox.html

Old 11-02-2014, 07:03 PM
rxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond repute
Consider the Alpine KTP-445U digital amp in 4 or 2 channels. They are gutsy amps and very compact . I just finished using two of them in my daughter's car to run in stereo (90 watts/channel) to drive two pairs of hybrid audio mirus 6.5 coax front and back.
Price of the KTP-445u $150/each. Minus 6.5 150/pair.
Sound reproduction is very accurate, warm mid-bass and non-ear piercing highs.
Hybrid Audio also makes the imagine series in a coax that can be converted to a two way that you could mount the tweeter on the dash for about 300/pair
Something to consider....
These sound so good that I might get 4 of the amps to drive each bass, mid, and highs in my other car.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:10 AM
REDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud of
Get the exhaust first. Then you will no longer care about the stereo

Old 11-04-2014, 02:59 PM
Its funny you say that because I was thinking "what the hell am I doing?" I will spend money on speakers, add the exhaust, not be able to hear the stereo, have to buy an amp and sub, then I am not downing out my exhaust-what a cycle! Yes exhaust first.

Originally Posted by REDLINER911
Get the exhaust first. Then you will no longer care about the stereo